How to prepare for winter?

SilverSurferRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Janitor
Winter season is almost here. First time for me driving in an area with snow. What do you guys recommend to remove snow/ice? Should I use a snow brush(worried it will scratch paint) How do you prepare your truck for winter? How to protect against rust?

Screenshot_20201117-004048_Chrome.jpg
Sponsored

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
We have three cars, and a two-car garage. I purchased a new nylon-bristle push broom to clear heavy snow from the outside car. It’s much faster than the brush/scraper tools for the heavy stuff. It is used only for this purpose, and has never been used to sweep the floor, so we have no problems with paint scratching.

Here in New Hampshire, where we have recent examples of deaths caused by snow and ice flying off of the roof of vehicles (mostly box trucks) it is illegal to drive with snow piled-up on the roof.

Arly

First Name
Arlyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT super cab (dog space)
Occupation
trails maintenance
We used one of those deck brush things. Already have this year. So winter is coming?? (photo taken last winter)
bossplow1040484.jpg

HTX1811

First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger STX 4x4,16 Audi A7
Occupation
Retired
I get my hoodie out if it is supposed to be in the 40s in the morning and try not to forget it in the truck when I get home that evening because it's in the 60's or 70's.
I still don't know what all that white stuff is on the ground???? It looks cold. :)

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Move South!!! I left the snow at 18. But looking back we were new drivers driving RWD muscle cars in the snow with no ill effects.

Arly

First Name
Arlyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT super cab (dog space)
Occupation
trails maintenance
And how is the snow down there?? Maybe your XCing is better than here.... if so, we'll move down there. Our house does not have AC..

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
I have always just used a snow brush with scraper. I do buy a better one, and one that will reach everywhere on the truck.

Same thing here, it is illegal to drive with snow on the roof.

Just a story, I am deligent about removing the snow from the roof. We had wet snow and I removed the snow, but there was a layer of ice that I did not notice below it. I drove 2.5 hrs south to Toronto where it was warmer. I was on a major highway when all of a sudden I heard the ice fly off the roof. I watched it in the rear view mirror land well behind my vehicle and fortunately in front of the following vehicle. It would have done a number on that vehicle. I slowed down and pulled off at the next exit and removed all of the ice.

I now make sure that the roof is totally clear.

As far as rust proofing, on all of my earlier vehicles, I had them rust proof them before I took them off the lot. For the Ranger, the salesman told me the Ranger should good for the first year, then go get it undersprayed year two and every couple years after that.

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Winter season is almost here. First time for me driving in an area with snow. What do you guys recommend to remove snow/ice? Should I use a snow brush(worried it will scratch paint) How do you prepare your truck for winter? How to protect against rust?

Screenshot_20201117-004048_Chrome.jpg
I see that your Home Depot is in Cedar City. Virtually every time I have driven through Cedar City on my way to St George or Phoenix, it snowed in Cedar City, as we drove through it.

Maybe get two brushes, as you may wear the first one out! ?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Move South!!! I left the snow at 18. But looking back we were new drivers driving RWD muscle cars in the snow with no ill effects.
I stuck it out until 51 and then moved out here. Now winter for me is anything under 70. lol

AZ Winter 3.jpg

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
I get my hoodie out if it is supposed to be in the 40s in the morning and try not to forget it in the truck when I get home that evening because it's in the 60's or 70's.
I still don't know what all that white stuff is on the ground???? It looks cold. :)

HC, I was wondering the same thing. What is this snow thing you speak of, and where does it come from? :giggle:

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
That's quitter talk!
I threw up the white flag in New Jersey when I was 18 and never went back. I've lived in San Diego, Branson Missouri Las Vegas, and now Myrtle Beach