WindRock off road park killed my Ford Ranger...

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
One thing I've noticed is the ranger seems to do well in door-deep water IF you keep a bow wake in front of the truck and not try to blast through, shooting up 20ft rooster tails
Truck King makes no mention of charging issues while driving the Tremor or Chevy ZR2.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hub9uSL8oA0" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Sponsored

OCL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
I watched the whole video. The guy was pretty humble about it. He just didn't know any better. He's young he's allowed to make mistakes. :wink: Now he's learned NOT to drive through a deep body of water at high speed to get more YouTube views. Slow and steady. Check the depth if you can. Or "turn around don't drown". That is what wise off roaders have learned over the years after all.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Where do they put the alternator on the 2.3L Broncos? Is it able to be mounted differently because of the wider track? (65" vs 61.4")
It's located low like on the Ranger and has already left someone stranded because of it. :shock:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/alternator-location-is-a-significant-issue.29187/post-992771

Unfortunately, I did go through muddy water. Alternator failed within a week. Was not submerged and vehicle was never stopped in water. Up to this point, I was absolutely loving the Bronco. Now I am really concerned about its potential limitations (and pissed that I am stranded for our family Thanksgiving trip).

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
That doesn't sound unreasonable.

But it's highly dependant on airflow though. Are there enough gains to put in the work to screen it without effecting the cooling?

The sealed units used in Australia are really nice, just pricey. It's just that nobody has a US Ranger specific or proven arrangement yet.

Advanced Auto Parts has a Hitachi, I don't know if it could be made to work for us though.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...bu8n1GWa-TGlWWFcqxMaAiTrEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
it may not be worth the trouble to screen it, you make a good point about the up side being most likely be a small improvement. the sealed units are out of my price range. but if i had the extra green laying around I may go for it. an off road tow back to a shop is 5 figure price .

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Yall mentioned the bow wave and speed, I think that is defiantly a key. On the ARB web page a few months ago they had some video and pics of a ranger outfitted ( it was a sweet ranger) with sort of a "water crossing bra" strapped on. its purpose is to displace water and help form the bow wave keeping water from coming back toward the air intake and engine area. They also seemed to have a pretty relaxed pace. I would guess less than 10 mph. They were going confident and steady instead of the, "hail mary hope the speed carries me through" speed seen in the videos. After watching a few videos and looking under my truck I came up with an idea. Forward in muddy water is ok, reverse is a NO NO . I think when some of these folks have lost traction and then backed up for another attempt is when the mud cakes are really being shoved into the alternators realm. That sound logical ?
so strap on the bra, be confident and dont do it reverse...?
bad as that sounded nothing vulgar about it .

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Where do they put the alternator on the 2.3L Broncos? Is it able to be mounted differently because of the wider track? (65" vs 61.4")
I've gotten someone to send me a photo of their Bronco's 2.3 and it was in the same exact spot and not sealed. :(

majorv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew
Occupation
Retired
Yall mentioned the bow wave and speed, I think that is defiantly a key. On the ARB web page a few months ago they had some video and pics of a ranger outfitted ( it was a sweet ranger) with sort of a "water crossing bra" strapped on. its purpose is to displace water and help form the bow wave keeping water from coming back toward the air intake and engine area. They also seemed to have a pretty relaxed pace. I would guess less than 10 mph. They were going confident and steady instead of the, "hail mary hope the speed carries me through" speed seen in the videos. After watching a few videos and looking under my truck I came up with an idea. Forward in muddy water is ok, reverse is a NO NO . I think when some of these folks have lost traction and then backed up for another attempt is when the mud cakes are really being shoved into the alternators realm. That sound logical ?
so strap on the bra, be confident and dont do it reverse...?
bad as that sounded nothing vulgar about it .
…and backing up in high water isn’t good if it goes up your tailpipe either ?

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
it may not be worth the trouble to screen it, you make a good point about the up side being most likely be a small improvement. the sealed units are out of my price range. but if i had the extra green laying around I may go for it. an off road tow back to a shop is 5 figure price .
For as infrequently as I encounter water crossings of any significance out here in the great dry west. I don't feel the need to go that route either.

Personally, I'll pick up a spare when they're more readily available and carry it with me for the wet trips.

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if some type of Conformal Coating would work on the alternator . In my hobby when I build a drone I use the MG product in case I crash in water or even tall grass that is wet can fry the electronics .

It seems like you could treat the alternator just as easily .

https://oscarliang.com/waterproofing-drone-electronics/

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I wonder if some type of Conformal Coating would work on the alternator . In my hobby when I build a drone I use the MG product in case I crash in water or even tall grass that is wet can fry the electronics .

It seems like you could treat the alternator just as easily .

https://oscarliang.com/waterproofing-drone-electronics/
That's possible.

Be careful, that's some nasty stuff. I used to do component level repair of telcom switching equipment that was coated in that garbage.

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
That's possible.

Be careful, that's some nasty stuff. I used to do component level repair of telcom switching equipment that was coated in that garbage.
Yes it can be but it works very well . We have some robotic cells at work that the electronics are coated to operate in wet conditions .

bgtruck

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 2015 Cadillac cts vsport
Occupation
Yes
Well Frack for the last two weekends Ive been driving throuh water holes on the trails I hit. A couple are wheel deep but short. I always use the slow in and keep momentum going. I'm not trying to pearl dive in the Ranger. The way out of the trails has a nice water crossing that is a cement crossing that can be about a foot deep. Last weekend because it was running nice after rain and the Truck was muddy I went a bit fast to clean off the underside of the truck, nothing has happened yet. I'll be more cautious now. Slow and steady in the water. I did'nt ever consider drowning the alternator. You all think that carrying a spare is necessary? Good thread ya'll.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Well Frack for the last two weekends Ive been driving throuh water holes on the trails I hit. A couple are wheel deep but short. I always use the slow in and keep momentum going. I'm not trying to pearl dive in the Ranger. The way out of the trails has a nice water crossing that is a cement crossing that can be about a foot deep. Last weekend because it was running nice after rain and the Truck was muddy I went a bit fast to clean off the underside of the truck, nothing has happened yet. I'll be more cautious now. Slow and steady in the water. I did'nt ever consider drowning the alternator. You all think that carrying a spare is necessary? Good thread ya'll.
I want a spare for sure. Think of it like tires, good tires and a spare a cheaper than a tow and less than the cost of a visit to the er for highway blow out turned car crash.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Well, not my Ranger, but a Youtuber another member introduced here sometime back.

Windrock Off-Road Park, looks like good times but he swamps his alternator.
what worries me most about this alternator thing is that this video did not look that extreme. If i didnt care about trashing the interior i would have done it. Let me clarify, I would not have slapped down on the go pedal like he did going in and would have walked it first looked for the most shallow point and gauged what was the least gooey path. now to get back to my point- after he was in and wave ran out, it really was not that deep and he had no struggle making it. truck did great. so apparently my go no go filter is much too generous for the alternator and the rest of the truck is fine with my filter. that takes the confidence out and the fun. it makes water crossings or good splashes nothing but anxiety when you cant trust your judgment.
Sponsored

Last edited: