WindRock off road park killed my Ford Ranger...

OP
OP
JACKSMYDOG

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
what worries me most about this alternator thing is that this video did not look that extreme. If i didnt care about trashing the interior i would have done it. Let me clarify, I would not have slapped down on the go pedal like he did going in and would have walked it first looked for the most shallow point and gauged what was the least gooey path. now to get back to my point- after he was in and wave ran out, it really was not that deep and he had no struggle making it. truck did great. so apparently my go no go filter is much too generous for the alternator and the rest of the truck is fine with my filter. that takes the confidence out and the fun. it makes water crossings or good splashes nothing but anxiety when you cant trust your judgment.
I've had my alternator completely submerged in a mud hole. I was stuck for a bit and had to winch out. Half the motor was submerged, the fan spraying water/mud everywhere. Watery mud was seeping in through the doors, passenger side had water mark 1/3 of the way up the door speaker.

I have dozens of other water crossings as well, but none as deep. Front skid plates do a decent job of protecting the alternator from direct splash, but depending on how aggressive you go in, it can still create some wash. I have a Westin front plate, which is narrower than the FX4 pate it came with, but still wide enough to cover the alternator.

I am more concerned with the air intake placement than I am the alternator, so I am very cautious with bow waves in any water deeper than ~30 inches. I do have a Safari snorkel kit going on one of these days, and will be picking up a spare alternator before the spring mud runs.
Sponsored

TN Ranger

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electricain
I've been through that same hole many times with no issues. sometimes we have bad luck. My buddy's nissan started throwing up charge warnings but was fine once it dried. Maybe he hit it a little too hard but hey hes still young. Awesome kid with some awesome videos. Nice to see the next gen of offroaders out having a blast and using their skills for trail fix or in his case to limp it back home. Good job Ethan. look forward to your next videos. Hopefully since your a car salesman now you keep the Ranger. I know them Broncos are tempting you daily haha

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
…and backing up in high water isn’t good if it goes up your tailpipe either ?
Might be OK if you redline it
squinty grin.jpeg

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
I've had my alternator completely submerged in a mud hole. I was stuck for a bit and had to winch out. Half the motor was submerged, the fan spraying water/mud everywhere. Watery mud was seeping in through the doors, passenger side had water mark 1/3 of the way up the door speaker.

I have dozens of other water crossings as well, but none as deep. Front skid plates do a decent job of protecting the alternator from direct splash, but depending on how aggressive you go in, it can still create some wash. I have a Westin front plate, which is narrower than the FX4 pate it came with, but still wide enough to cover the alternator.

I am more concerned with the air intake placement than I am the alternator, so I am very cautious with bow waves in any water deeper than ~30 inches. I do have a Safari snorkel kit going on one of these days, and will be picking up a spare alternator before the spring mud runs.
I want a safari snorkel also, but they pricey and idk about cutting a hole in the fender...

OP
OP
JACKSMYDOG

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I want a safari snorkel also, but they pricey and idk about cutting a hole in the fender...
I don't worry about making those hard add-ons. I also have the Prinsu roof rack, which also required drilling the roof.

If you are cautious and take proper precautions, after-market work can be as good or better quality than factory installs.

gwhalin

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Seems like swapping alternator out in the field would not be a fun project. Especially given where it is located. Not sure I would feel up to it with plenty of time at home in my garage.

OP
OP
JACKSMYDOG

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Seems like swapping alternator out in the field would not be a fun project. Especially given where it is located. Not sure I would feel up to it with plenty of time at home in my garage.
I have no desire to do it in the field either, but if that's where it breaks down the options are few. I carry a full tool kit and recovery kit, so it's not much worse than doing it in the driveway.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Don't they attach at the fender vent?

OP
OP
JACKSMYDOG

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Don't they attach at the fender vent?
No, Safari go in directly behind the air box with a new hole cut in the fender.

Mishimoto has been threatening to release their snorkel which goes in the air vent, but I believe you still need to cut the fender where it attaches.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
No, Safari go in directly behind the air box with a new hole cut in the fender.

Mishimoto has been threatening to release their snorkel which goes in the air vent, but I believe you still need to cut the fender where it attaches.
the mishimoto may have some weak points. I think safari is one of the only one piece setups. ive seen several that have to join two parts lower than I would care for if i was crossing deep water. but for now avoid anything deep enough to join me in the cab. muddy wet interior is nasty, and all our rangers are basically new still. now if it was several years old and paid for then i wouldnt be up tight about splashing in .

OP
OP
JACKSMYDOG

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
the mishimoto may have some weak points. I think safari is one of the only one piece setups. ive seen several that have to join two parts lower than I would care for if i was crossing deep water. but for now avoid anything deep enough to join me in the cab. muddy wet interior is nasty, and all our rangers are basically new still. now if it was several years old and paid for then i wouldnt be up tight about splashing in .
The Safari has a joint from long outer tube, to the inner tube, and from the inner tube to the air box. Both about the same height as the air box. The seals are very good though, I am not worried.

My above story about mud in the cab was less than 24 hours after picking up my truck. I also did some wheel pin-strips that day and scratched the RANGER sil plate from trying to climb in wearing flip flops under mud.

Tx2eo5l.jpg

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, you have to cut a nice sized hole, as well as drill several smaller holes, including two in the A-pillar, for the Safari Snorkel install. But it was worth it!
2020-08-22 10.15.07.jpg

2021-12-05 12.19.44.jpg

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
is it just me or does is seem like all the auto manufactures send off road worthy stuff to the Aussies, and the states just get more electronic driving distractions and bs guys like me dont want. i get it though, people that want rugged utility are not the majority of the buyers in the market so they sell what the heard wants... id love a diesel 4x4 ranger.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
is it just me or does is seem like all the auto manufactures send off road worthy stuff to the Aussies, and the states just get more electronic driving distractions and bs guys like me dont want. i get it though, people that want rugged utility are not the majority of the buyers in the market so they sell what the heard wants... id love a diesel 4x4 ranger.
So I'm with you on the diesel; I really wish we had them optioned here in the USA! But the way I understand it, our trucks may be built a little more solidly than the foreign market Rangers. If I remember correctly, our frames feature more welding to make them a little more solid and have less NVH, and our trucks come with a little more solid bumpers.
Sponsored