WindRock off road park killed my Ford Ranger...

TheDo114

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
So wait, how is the Bronco sold as having 33" of water fording ability if it has the same stupid alternator placement?
Ford states in the Bronco owner's manual that with the sasquatch package (lift and 35 inch tires) you can go up to 33.5 inches of water fording capability and that anything else is 31.5 inches.

1631020672162.png

It's really weird to me that we get very different rating for the same engine and tire height. There has to be something else going on here.
Sponsored

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Ford states in the Bronco owner's manual that with the sasquatch package (lift and 35 inch tires) you can go up to 33.5 inches of water fording capability and that anything else is 31.5 inches.

1631020672162.png

It's really weird to me that we get very different rating for the same engine and tire height. There has to be something else going on here.
Having checked out both a Sasquatch and non-Sasquatch, the tires on the Sasquatch Broncos are huge compared to the lesser Broncos. I can see it creating the difference in the fording abilities.

TheDo114

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Having checked out both a Sasquatch and non-Sasquatch, the tires on the Sasquatch Broncos are huge compared to the lesser Broncos. I can see it creating the difference in the fording abilities.
What
Absolutely! 35 vs 31 is massive and justify the upgrades. What I don't get, is the rating for the bronco's that come with 31, 32 or 33 inch tires compare to our ranger's that come with the same size tire. The alternator placement is the same, roughly equal to the top of the tire on both machine but the bronco get's 31 inches and we get bottom of the hub.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
What
Absolutely! 35 vs 31 is massive and justify the upgrades. What I don't get, is the rating for the bronco's that come with 31, 32 or 33 inch tires compare to our ranger's that come with the same size tire. The alternator placement is the same, roughly equal to the top of the tire on both machine but the bronco get's 31 inches and we get bottom of the hub.
Ahhhh. I gotcha!
I was really hoping the Bronco 2.3 came with a better alternator than ours. I don't know squat about sealed units and plumbing them for cooling so I'm doubtful I will be messing with that. Ughhhh. Damn you Ford!

Kataphrakt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT FX4 Offroad
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer - Mirrors
I suspect the difference may be due to the front transmission vent hose placement or the transfer case vent hose placement. I've tried to find the transfer case one multiple times (supposed to be visible in the engine bay) but couldnt track it down.

Otherwise, it's probably an oversight. Ford manuals generally state no water fording above the hub cap on trucks, and only up to the hub cap on cars. (Ranger manual states the latter IIRC, which is lower than an FX4's ground clearance)

EDIT: My benchmark source doesnt have the new bronco teardown yet. If it pops up i'll see what's different.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
In AZ we are the capital of people driving into wash full of water and drownings their vehicles and themselves. We have a stupid motorist law to fine them. But, they still persist.
"Turn around dont drown."

Jms81661

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Ranger Sport
Occupation
Truck Driver
In AZ we are the capital of people driving into wash full of water and drownings their vehicles and themselves. We have a stupid motorist law to fine them. But, they still persist.
"Turn around dont drown."
Same here in Vegas. I'm bewildered at these people. The water is up to the door handle and they wonder why they couldn't make it,let alone their car/truck is now floating down the wash.?

Brett Fields

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4, Blackout, Tow
Occupation
Paramedic
I had actually seen Ethan's video a while ago. (Before finding this thread) I've been thinking about buying an alternator for my FX4 so I'd have it if ever I should need. The parts guy I was talking to said there were two. Mine, for around $300ish, and the Tremor for around $500ish. I'm guessing that the tremor part puts out more amperage? I would consider it if I knew it would retrofit in to my FX4. Can anyone shed light on this?

HarryManback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I had actually seen Ethan's video a while ago. (Before finding this thread) I've been thinking about buying an alternator for my FX4 so I'd have it if ever I should need. The parts guy I was talking to said there were two. Mine, for around $300ish, and the Tremor for around $500ish. I'm guessing that the tremor part puts out more amperage? I would consider it if I knew it would retrofit in to my FX4. Can anyone shed light on this?

This is the first I've heard of the Tremor having a higher output, but it makes sense given the upfitter switches. That's a potential for 65A additional load, it makes sense that they would have a bigger alternator.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
ok im new and this is the first time i have learned of the easy to dunk alternator. i am so disappointed! one of my favorite things to do off road is splash in water and have the spray blind out the windshield for a few seconds. No, i am not the type to drive into flood water that is stupid high etc.
even my older ranger has the alternator up higher. what was ford thinking. ? any one tried slathering up the connections with a thick gooey grease and then going for a swim?

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
ok im new and this is the first time i have learned of the easy to dunk alternator. i am so disappointed! one of my favorite things to do off road is splash in water and have the spray blind out the windshield for a few seconds. No, i am not the type to drive into flood water that is stupid high etc.
even my older ranger has the alternator up higher. what was ford thinking. ? any one tried slathering up the connections with a thick gooey grease and then going for a swim?
Some dielectric grease couldn't hurt.
But the biggest issue is really more mud and debris packing in from what I understand.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Some dielectric grease couldn't hurt.
But the biggest issue is really more mud and debris packing in from what I understand.
wonder if one could rig sort of shroud / shield out of the older style metal window screens. That might prevent globs of mud from getting mashed in the alternator guts. Smaller hole means less mud passes the screen compacting and cooking the alternator. the window screen would still breathe and be a little easier to check and clean after splash. folks would have to be sure to use the metal screen, most of the current screens are a plastic and would melt. ?

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
wonder if one could rig sort of shroud / shield out of the older style metal window screens. That might prevent globs of mud from getting mashed in the alternator guts. Smaller hole means less mud passes the screen compacting and cooking the alternator. the window screen would still breathe and be a little easier to check and clean after splash. folks would have to be sure to use the metal screen, most of the current screens are a plastic and would melt. ?
That doesn't sound unreasonable.

But it's highly dependant on airflow though. Are there enough gains to put in the work to screen it without effecting the cooling?

The sealed units used in Australia are really nice, just pricey. It's just that nobody has a US Ranger specific or proven arrangement yet.

Advanced Auto Parts has a Hitachi, I don't know if it could be made to work for us though.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...bu8n1GWa-TGlWWFcqxMaAiTrEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Where do they put the alternator on the 2.3L Broncos? Is it able to be mounted differently because of the wider track? (65" vs 61.4")
Sponsored