Why Is The Mileage So Bad On The Tremor?

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
I have a theory. Test with 87 and compare. The ECU adds power when it sees 91 or 93 this I am suspecting its using more fuel. But it just my thoughts
I swear mine doesn't better all around on midgrade. Maybe it's my dislike of the cost of 93 that skews that ....
Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I am unsure how everyone is seeing bad MPG like that. I have a Lariat Tremor with ARB Skids and Shrockworks Rock rails (easily added 75lbs of steel to the truck) and I don't see anything less then 18 city and 21.5 highway. Most trips on the highway I am seeing 22.5-23.
Two words...Lead Foot... ?

fraudguy77

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Insurance Field
What are you folks with Tremors getting in regard to MPG?

Thinking this through... the Tremor package (Really just a lift kit and bigger tires) takes the Ranger FX4 from a 20/24 mpg vehicle and drops it down to a 19/19 mpg vehicle?

In town I can see how the heavier tires would be an issue... but cruising down the highway? I mean once you have momentum.. 5 mpg hit seems unlikely no bigger than the Tremor wheel and tires package are.

Maybe simply a gearing thing, the bigger tires change drive ratios?
I get 15MPG on average lol.

Clump

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST former 2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
First tank the computer says 18.1. I didn't calculate it. Not sure how full (or not) the dealer had it.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I laugh when fuel economy is brought up on here. ?
I totally agree, they buy a TRUCK then mod it with a lift/level, put on bigger/heavier tires, add a bunch of weight and then complain about how terrible their mileage is. It's a truck, it's ment to do work, everyone drives different, does different things, lives in different places. Trucks don't get good mileage, live with it or buy and econo-box. Trying to compare to what others get is just an exercise in frustration and entertaining for some of us. :LOL:

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
I've been at 18.5 with 99% country roads (60mph) and highway since I got the truck. I'm 5700 miles into it. I track it using Fuelio and it's been pretty close to what the truck shows until recently when I'm using the scheduled start; now I'm in reality getting around 16mpg but truck still shows the same 18.5 or so. After experimenting with three tanks of gas I've figured out that it appears the truck computer doesn't count fuel burned until the truck is started with the push button. It excludes the fuel it's burning while running from scheduled starts from it's average, which for me is 15-20 every day given the temps.

Last edited:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I've been at 18.5 with 99% country roads (60mph) and highway since I got the truck. I'm 5700 miles into it. I track it using Fuelio and it's been pretty close to what the truck shows until recently when I'm using the scheduled start; now I'm in reality getting around 16mpg but truck still shows the same 18.5 or so. After experimenting with three tanks of gas I've figured out that it appears the truck computer doesn't count fuel burned until the truck is started with the push button. It excludes the fuel it's burning while running from scheduled starts from it's average.
Same here....lifted, widened, fat tires, weighted down..considering this, I get generous milage at 17-18...?

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Same here....lifted, widened, fat tires, weighted down..considering this, I get generous milage at 17-18...?
I'm pretty satisfied with what I'm getting, pretty much what I expected going into it.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
That's pretty good considering all that weight and no one still has no idea where you go? ?

I'm averaging 22 with a level, 32's and running the 91-93 performance tune. I don't drive it hard all the time but this time of year when it's cool it's hard not to. ?

OCL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
I just finished 400 miles on my Tremor. 100% stock truck.

The 400 miles was a mix of fast freeway 80-85 mph cruising, 200 miles of back country roads with a few WOT passing all in Sport mode, about 50 miles of slow going off road in 4WD high soft sand and some ruts. Lightly loaded truck, 2 people, luggage, some cargo. No roof rack or anything sticking out of my bed.

21.5 mpg average the whole trip.
The truck now has 2,800 miles since new. Average is showing 20.8 MPG.
Truck is regularly fed 91 octane.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That's pretty good considering all that weight and no one still has no idea where you go? ?

I'm averaging 22 with a level, 32's and running the 91-93 performance tune. I don't drive it hard all the time but this time of year when it's cool it's hard not to. ?
Secret Squirrel on missions...?

Clump

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST former 2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
2nd tank. 93 octane. Computer said 19.8. Calculated 18.9.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
News flash MPG/LPK numbers are adjustable in this truck. You want better mileage then search this website for the method to adjust the MPG/LPK numbers. Adjust it up. Then you too can brag/lie about your MPG/LPK numbers. Everytime that you fill up check your MPG/LPK numbers and write them down. After a while you will get some high and some low. Take the highest number, round it up. This will be your mileage/kilometerage to report/brag. ?:turkey:

If I had a gas station I would put up a sale sign saying .99 cent gas. In the fine print per quart.
Sponsored

Last edited: