First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
After 1000 miles my 21 XLT stock was running 19/22, I have since added the FPP Tune and still checking for any change. As long as I get what was listed on the sticker I am good, as that was a purchase factor. Anything better is great but don't expect it. I am betting the high numbers are downhill or wishful thinking, on the other hand a lot of people suck at math :)
Sponsored

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I would bet that most of the terrific MPG numbers you see are from the internal musings of the lie-o-meter MPG estimations.

I've never owned a vehicle where that indicator wasn't "optimistic".

My Ranger doesn't get near the rated MPG but then my driving style is the absolute worst for decent MPG (mostly short trips of only a few miles, almost zero hwy) but it does get 4-5 MPG better than the Frontier Pro4X I had before it.

I just drive it and enjoy it.

And if I feel bad about MPG I just hop in my Jeep and check its lie-o-meter. Suddenly the Ranger MPG is great.

Now when the Maverick hybrid AWD gets released.....

Utope

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Cactus Grey XLT SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Right now I'm stock FX4, still in the break in period. On my 2nd tank, the computer is telling me 22.5MPG with an average speed of 22 or 23MPH. I do use the stop/start feature. The first tank the computer was 0.2MPG higher than hand calculated. That's combined driving; the highway I travel has a speed limit of 65 with stoplights every mile. Cruising would be better, but I don't have that experience yet. I'm getting a little better mileage, according to the computer, by letting it rev up to 3k / 3.5k RPM during acceleration instead of babying it at 2k RPM.

The difference between 23MPG and 24MPG is incredibly minor. That's a difference of 1.81 gallons over a 1,000 mile trip. If you drove the truck for 200,000 miles, that's a difference of $1,448 assuming $4/gal gas. Compared to the total cost to drive 200,000 miles at 24MPG is $33,333, that's a 4% increase. That's a difference per year of $72.40 to $96.50, assuming you drove the 200,000 over a 15 to 20 year time period.

FordSpeed

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX4 Supercrew
I average a pretty consistent 25mpg for my daily 80 mile commute. I rarely turn off the auto start/stop (unless in heavy traffic). Maybe that's the difference?

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
Start by NOT believing anyone who says they are getting an average of 27+ MPG with 4x4.
Your average is right in line with what I am getting.
I did a trip up to North Dakota this summer, much of the trip is 75-80 MPH speed limit. I averaged 19.5 MPG for the trip. Wind and speed kills the average MPG.

BTW, are you aware you can calibrate your Mileage indicator? If it is off your calculated, you can do a calibration on it.
how?

Crix

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 4x4
Occupation
Optometrist
21 mpg highway avg, still waaay better than my f150 w/35's i had before the ranger .. my commute is 8 miles round trip so i aint bitchin"

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
it's so subjective when it comes to mileage. Everyone drives differently in various conditions an terrain. Up hill an into a wind kills mileage on my truck.

As was said you can't believe people's claims of great mileage. My brother in law is a chevy fan boy. always talks smack about how great chevy's are. He said he got 25 mpg in his full size chevy truck. He calculated this by dividing the number of miles he drove by "it went from full to half so that's 15 gallons so I got 25 MPG". His truck is older too before they shut cylinders down on the highway an had more than 4 speed transmissions. Hand calculating is the best measure. I always buy gas at the same place an I figure the pump kicks off consistently giving me a fairly accurate measurement.

I've seen upper 20's on an all highway trip when I wasn't in a hurry an set the cruise to 70 or lower. 24 is more realistic because I usually go 75 or more, hammer it to pass cars an so on.

my lifetime mileage is 21.9 which is pretty good for a truck.

aeroshots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
i calculate it by hand every time. it's always lower than what the dash reads. that's where my 23.3 came from on the last trip.

so the last trip-
about 220 miles- let's say- as i didn't come straight home. rather i visited an offroad trail to some property i own. that trail is gravel in 2wd till about the 3/4 mark, it's gradual hills till the last 1/4 mile or 1/2 mile. there, it's 4hi and slow-4 mph. good hills. i then came down in 4lo, that 1st 1/2 mile, then back to 2wd and came home. I got 23.3 on that tank. So perhaps i would have seen 24 if not for that BUT 20-30 miles of the trip back is all down hill. out of the mountains to more flat lands. i'd expect to be getting 99mpg instantaneous during that 20-30 miles and that would bring my average up BUT i do use sport mode to engine brake alot coming down. still, i can't see it hurting mpgs using engine braking down hill.

seems like i need to try going to the beach. that trip is all flat and 55mph for 170 miles. if i get 25 or 26 there. i'd be happy.

don't get me wrong, i am happy with 23 BUT just am curious how people get 27+. LOL.

oh and the truck is basically empty with just me in it or my better, 130lbs, half.

and i have owned a taco and that got about 19-20 on same trip, wasn't as fun, was more uncomfortable and was the trd offroad.
I take back my comment in reference to my similar conditions as yours. ?

OP
OP

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
i need to put the scanguage back on the truck. i had it for a time but removed it thinking it was causing an issue with perhaps the bucking i get sometimes/fuel in oil. but nothing has changed since it's been removed and i think my fuel in oil issue has stopped where it was before i removed it. i've had it on other vehicles in the past 5-10 years with zero issues- i have two of them. Nice to see exact engine/trans temps and trip mpg's. Using that on my patriot, it would be pretty much 100% accurate after a few fillups and trips. Meaning whatever it said, at the gas station, if i did the math by hand, it was pretty accurate. I am going to wait though until i get to the next oil change, or perhaps the next, just to be certain it's not doing anything.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
don't get me wrong, i am happy with 23 BUT just am curious how people get 27+. LOL.
I can get mine (stock 4x4 non Fx4) to get 27+, but that is on flat road, warm weather, and a constant speed in the low 50's. Needless to say, that is not my typical driving conditions. My typical mileage of late has been right around 20 mpg.

One comment on the tires: don't forget that it's not just the weight that's bringing MPGs down, but also the rolling resistance of that tread.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
i own a 2021 XL FX4 stock EXCEPT i put on cooper discoverer at-4s tires. same exact size as stock. They do weigh 5lbs more per tire than stock. I have 6500 miles. It seems on a long road trip of 200 miles, the best i can get is 23 mpg. This is going 55-70mph and most of those miles 67 mph. Very little stop and go. I do not use the auto start/stop feature. This same route i'd get 21mpg with my xterra with oversized tires and a tune. it was rated 16/21 mpg. I would see 23mpg with it back with stock tires. My patriot, rated at 22/25mpg saw consistent 26.4 on the same trip. And it had heavier tires- by 2 lbs a tire.

i keep seeing people saying on fakevook that they see 29mpg on highway, fx4. Lots of 27mpgs...... Does the 5lbs per tire really eat up 4mpg?

my oil level does rise- fuel in oil- but it's halfway between the high hash and top dot when cold, right below top dot when hot. I can't see that causing my poor mpgs....

i intentionally went with the coopers for their better winter driving characteristics as i go thru mountains alot. and they seem more rugged as far as sidewalls go.

i would expect though to see that 24 or 25mpg when i nurse it on the flat roads...... thoughts?
I have those same tires in 265/65/17 on my 2019 ranger. Hiway doing 70, i avg 24.6. I do have the livernois tuned installed though.
If i keep it at 65, its around 26.4. At 55 it is 28.
Sponsored