First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Work
Is anyone having issues with paint chips? My Lariat is just over a month old with the tricoat white and every time wash the thing I'm finding more and more paint chips. Been touching them up with a toothpick but it sure is ridiculous.

The paint is super thin and brittle. Really aggravating. Scares me what this thing will look like months and years down the road.

Also want to mention it has nothing to do with driving style... in fact this issue is making me paranoid and afraid to drive close to any cars.

Also note I have ceramic coating on it... not that is makes any difference.
I did notice at the wash bay the other day, the side mirror had an awesome perfect circle spot about the size of pencil lead missing down to the base. Assuming it was a rock on the high way, that’s expected. However I have 500 miles and very little highway time. Could be related? Good luck.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
22k here with the blue. finally noticed a small on on font of hood.
That’s not too bad. Hopefully there won’t be any(many) more in the future. I know that it will probably happen to mine at some point, but so far so good. :)

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
HI Folks,

Okay...I have sat on the sidelines on this issue of paint chipping. I really do not know about today's paint formulations, there are a significant amount of testing on paint before it is put into production. Samples are subjected to an array of environmental tests. In Arizona there are arrays of different colors of paint subjected to the burning Sun of Az in the summer... Subjected to -40° temps in a cold room for months on end. Then for a new model vehicle there is a procedure called Stone Pecking that each model vehicle must complete and meet the criteria. It seems most folks think we just change the color and spray the vehicle and see what happens...Not true...there is much testing behind the scenes on paint.

Okay...off the soap box and retreating to the flameproof bunker.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Jbroke

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 2WD
Occupation
Sports
Think it’s the material and paint these days cause I’ve had 3 different cars in the past 8 years (all different companies) and paint chips easily. Now my 90’s Chevy s10 that I drove from 08-11 had only a handful paint chips after 15 years of use.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
HI Folks,

Okay...I have sat on the sidelines on this issue of paint chipping. I really do not know about today's paint formulations, there are a significant amount of testing on paint before it is put into production. Samples are subjected to an array of environmental tests. In Arizona there are arrays of different colors of paint subjected to the burning Sun of Az in the summer... Subjected to -40° temps in a cold room for months on end. Then for a new model vehicle there is a procedure called Stone Pecking that each model vehicle must complete and meet the criteria. It seems most folks think we just change the color and spray the vehicle and see what happens...Not true...there is much testing behind the scenes on paint.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
That's great Phil, still does not change the fact that my bed corners were bare metal after 20K miles. The 3M coating they put on there doesn't even cover the part that's exposed to stones... My 1993, 1995 and 2003 rangers did not have this issue. The 1993 was running 35" BFG MT's and had a 302 interceptor motor under the hood. I'm even wearing the OEM mudflaps on this one, and I had to plasti-dip it to keep the rest of the paint in place.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
HI Folks,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Love your back stories Phil, but this is not April 1st. ?

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
That's great Phil, still does not change the fact that my bed corners were bare metal after 20K miles. The 3M coating they put on there doesn't even cover the part that's exposed to stones... My 1993, 1995 and 2003 rangers did not have this issue. The 1993 was running 35" BFG MT's and had a 302 interceptor motor under the hood. I'm even wearing the OEM mudflaps on this one, and I had to plasti-dip it to keep the rest of the paint in place.
Agreed. Why did they leave the most vulnerable area exposed with protection above it ? :facepalm:

Image 1630.png