Who's running a downpipe?

Kevin Franklin

First Name
Tinmender1963
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda FT500. Honda 700SC. 2019 Ford Ranger Sport. 2014 Ford Focus ST. 2017 Ford Escape Titanium. 1994 Ford Ranger Splash. 1986 Ford Mustang GT Splash
Occupation
Damn good question. A lot of different things
Vehicle Showcase
I opted for the SPD stainless as soon as it was released. The main reason is because it appears to me that the AFE drops down to 2 1/2” after the cat and requires a flange to bring it back up to 3”. The SPD on the other hand is all 3” and requires a flange to drop down to 2 1/2”. I obviously wanted little to no restriction going into my 3” exhaust.
7496C7C3-0C16-424D-895C-2FF1DEF63655.jpeg
Thank you for sharing! That looks to be a very well made item and I under what you are saying about the diameter. I need to verify the Borla exhaust diameter and go from there. Either way, this one covers both and it appears to have a smooth flow.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

Zetterbeard

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FORD RANGER XLT 4X4
Vehicle Showcase
I opted for the SPD stainless as soon as it was released. The main reason is because it appears to me that the AFE drops down to 2 1/2” after the cat and requires a flange to bring it back up to 3”. The SPD on the other hand is all 3” and requires a flange to drop down to 2 1/2”. I obviously wanted little to no restriction going into my 3” exhaust.
I am thinking similarly and plan to go with SPD for the 3” outlet. I am also considering pairing with the SPD 3” exhaust sustem that matches up with the downpipe. I also noticed the exhaust system has a resonator which I hope will help with the noise level. Ultimately I want the power from these parts, but am not overly interested in a sound increase. Any suggestions for the most power at a reasonable noise level?

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
I am thinking similarly and plan to go with SPD for the 3” outlet. I am also considering pairing with the SPD 3” exhaust sustem that matches up with the downpipe. I also noticed the exhaust system has a resonator which I hope will help with the noise level. Ultimately I want the power from these parts, but am not overly interested in a sound increase. Any suggestions for the most power at a reasonable noise level?
A resonator should help I think. I have a MBRP stainless 3" catback (NO res. only muffler) and the sound was moderate before the DP install. After DP, it's quite loud but it sounds fantastic IMO. I do owe you guys a sound clip so I'll try to get out and get that today and posted to Youtube if the rain holds off. The cat on the DP is good and broken in now so the sound should be a good real-world indication for you guys. FWIW, everyone that hears it says yea, it's a little loud but the sound is fantastic and I agree.

Chrisr24

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
A resonator should help I think. I have a MBRP stainless 3" catback (NO res. only muffler) and the sound was moderate before the DP install. After DP, it's quite loud but it sounds fantastic IMO. I do owe you guys a sound clip so I'll try to get out and get that today and posted to Youtube if the rain holds off. The cat on the DP is good and broken in now so the sound should be a good real-world indication for you guys. FWIW, everyone that hears it says yea, it's a little loud but the sound is fantastic and I agree.
I have the MBRP system too so i'm very curious how it sounds with the downpipe!

dangerranger16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
If you find the noise to be a bit much, let me know and I can figure out the model number on the Borla resonator I used. It pretty much eliminated the backfires on deceleration and cut the rest of the noise sufficiently where my wife will ride in my truck again. However, the turbo, which I just added this weekend, seems to have increased the sound again. Oh man.... this is a fun truck!

I am interested to see what this resonator would do to my borla system. It's just a tad too loud at startup and on light acceleration. I do love the system overall, especially that growl when letting off the gas so I wouldn't want that to go away. If you wouldn't mind a part number or even a picture of it installed, I'd really appreciate it.

OWSportninja

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport SuperCrew 2wd
AFE Catlees downpipe here with the MBRP catback (the one with the black muffler/tip) and going the catless route DEFINITELY increased the noise level. However it is not bad at all with easy acceleration and hwy cruising actually not that noticeable. But when you smash the gas........ IT GETS LOUD lol. Loud enough to freak people out when i drive by and they are unsuspecting. Ive been pleased with it. No CEL for me but I also installed the J style defouler on the bottom 02 aka catalyst monitor and that seems to do the trick for keeping the CEL off.

dangerranger16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
OK, pay attention if you order. I meant to order the one I could clamp on and accidentally ordered the one that is for welding. Knucklehead move there. Anyway, I still clamped it, but had to cut notches into the pipe-ends of the resonator to allow it to compress with the clamps. See https://www.borla.com/products/universal-resonators/ Then you want part # 401338 to weld on or part number 401342 to clamp on. Put it on the pipe between the downpipe and the catback.

The second picture shows how much of the pipe I cut out. I can't remember what the measurement was, but it should be at least the length of the larger resonator section but less than the total length of the whole unit. You need some of the pipe left to clamp on or weld to.

It is a pretty quick job. It just cuts the edge off the sound a bit without sacrificing the power. I called Borla before I put this on and they said it would not affect the power and that you can put as many of those on as you want.

I started with one and it has worked for me. However, I did just install the CR Performance turbo upgrade and it is a bit louder again now. Maybe I will get another. But I'll wait a bit. Note that you want the 2.75 inch to work with the factory pipe. If you want to go with 3 inch, you will need to change the connection to the downpipe.

Let me know if you have any more questions or want a better picture.
9702EB96-F5CB-4005-9A37-0E99149EA335_1_105_c.jpeg

7C4108D7-5289-4777-A0D1-5865160667C9_1_105_c.jpeg
Thanks for the info and pictures. Much appreciated! Any reason you chose to install in that location? Im considering installing right in front of the borla muffler for possibly an easier installation...one less cut. Im not sure if that would work yet though...enough space, etc.

TacoHawkRanger

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Sport; 2013 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
Occupation
Site Developer, USAF
I have the catted aFe paired to a FlowFX and I love it. It's ridiculously loud at full throttle, but barely noticeable at cruising speed. The only real downside for me is in the morning I feel like I'm waking the neighborhood.

I had the exhaust on first, and it felt a little more lively, but the downpipe really woke up the turbo.

One of the best parts (aside from performance and sound) is the looks I get. Start up my Ranger in a parking lot, and the people who care about such things start looking for the kitted out Subaru or Civic!

Reactions: Doc

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
Got a cold start vid finally. Weather is beautiful so I’ll get some driving vids this evening.

Cold Start

For reference, here’s the cold start video with exhaust only.

RangerRaptor

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat (previously 2012 Ford SVT Raptor)
I am using the Stainless Catted Downpipe from SPD Performace and have experienced no rattles or buzz, nor has it thrown any engine codes. I also added full 3in exhaust to the way back with a Magnaflow 11219 muffler. I have seen 2 to 3mpg difference in the city as long as I keep my foot out of it. It seems to give a noticeable performance difference right away. I plan on taking it to the local drag track and getting some pre-tune baseline data as the nearest dyno is 2hrs away, just as soon as that Roush intake arrives.

My experience is the same as the others mentioned previously here.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/afe-vs-spd-downpipes.4789/
How did you maintain 3” all the way though the exhaust? I know the SPD downpipe ends in 3”, but I thought all of the 3” exhaust systems end with a 2.5” connection to match the factory downpipe (except for the SPD exhaust that’s made to maintain the 3” connection).

I’m getting ready to buy new exhaust this week.

RangerRaptor

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat (previously 2012 Ford SVT Raptor)
What exhaust are you running? I thought the available exhaust systems all terminate with a 2.5” connection to match the factory downpipe? I thought only SPD had a true 3” exhaust connection.

Last edited:

Zetterbeard

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FORD RANGER XLT 4X4
Vehicle Showcase
What exhaust are you running? I thought the available exhaust systems all terminate with a 2.5” connection to match the factory downpipe? I thought only SPD had a true 3” exhaust connection.
Would like to know this as well. I am leaning towards the SPD exhaust/down pipe just because I haven't seen any other true 3" exhausts.
Sponsored