who out there is mudding without alternator problems?

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Sure looks sealed and in the exact same spot as ours, eh?
looks like a low-fidelity render to me, so could be a sealed alternator or could be that it was easier to drop in a basic shape than actually model the alternator.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
looks like a low-fidelity render to me, so could be a sealed alternator or could be that it was easier to drop in a basic shape than actually model the alternator.
I almost want to agree with you except everything else has tighter degree of detail.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Doesn't matter, Ford will only produce 7 extra ones worldwide, the first 7 people to order will get them for 1000$ minimum, and after that there won't be any more available :)

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I almost want to agree with you except everything else has tighter degree of detail.
What's "everything else"? If you compare that 2.3 to a real 2.3 it's like it was left out in the sun too long and the details melted off. Of course it's also really low res. I'm not saying it's not sealed, I'm just saying this picture doesn't prove anything one way or another, IMO.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
What's "everything else"? If you compare that 2.3 to a real 2.3 it's like it was left out in the sun too long and the details melted off. Of course it's also really low res. I'm not saying it's not sealed, I'm just saying this picture doesn't prove anything one way or another, IMO.
I was referring to the amount of detail on some of the other parts compared to the detail level on the alternator.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was referring to the amount of detail on some of the other parts compared to the detail level on the alternator.
They were clearly focused on the drivetrain and branding. (They didn't forget the bronco on the hub!) I'm personally more curious if they left the fan off for visual reasons or if they're moving to an electric fan. And, if so, if that's cause or effect of the lower load rating. I finally figured out that's why the front of the engine looked so off to me. It's different from the ranger, and also from the mustang & rs. Maybe ford repackaged it again? Or maybe it's just a concept drawing.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
They were clearly focused on the drivetrain and branding. (They didn't forget the bronco on the hub!) I'm personally more curious if they left the fan off for visual reasons or if they're moving to an electric fan. And, if so, if that's cause or effect of the lower load rating. I finally figured out that's why the front of the engine looked so off to me. It's different from the ranger, and also from the mustang & rs. Maybe ford repackaged it again? Or maybe it's just a concept drawing.
We only have a mechanical fan because of the tow rating. The Bronco has half the tow rating, so I assume it will get the electric fan treatment like everything else that isn't built to work.

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
my wife and i will be in the middle of nowhere for a year, where mudding is pretty much the only offroad game. ive browsed with some interest the intermittent "my alternator died after i went mudding" threads. it seems like there is something there. it makes sense. but then- people who use this forum and then go so far as to post to this forum are generally the small sample of people who actually have problems.

so im curious- any way to sample how many ranger folks are mudding or doing dirty/grimy river crossings (water is obviously muddy or sandy) without problems? if most folks arent havent trouble it would make me feel better.

reality is i could be in trouble if i burn the alternator here. there are no parts on this island, delivery times for parts is weeks to months, and that is even if there is no alternator backorder problem.

im interested in the group experience, and would love YOUR input.

(secondary question: some people say its safe to spray out the inside of the alternator. some say they arent comfortable with it. clearly water gets in there, so why would it be unsafe to wash it out with water after a river crossing or muddy adventure? logically it seems like you would only make things better, but im not engineer.)
My friends with tremors and I with a sport 4x4 have gone through some pretty deep stuff, I have the sport skids and I did the airdam tuck to close the gap (also running 35's) but neither myself or the stock tremors have had any issues and we've all gone through some intense stuff. Just don't be dumb and take things super fast.

OP
OP
charwest

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
My friends with tremors and I with a sport 4x4 have gone through some pretty deep stuff, I have the sport skids and I did the airdam tuck to close the gap (also running 35's) but neither myself or the stock tremors have had any issues and we've all gone through some intense stuff. Just don't be dumb and take things super fast.
what is the airdam tuck?

we arent cowboys. but since we go far from the beaten path i did invest in a spare alternator and belt. i assume it works... from a parts yard and it looks ok. cost about a third of the new alternator cost and given i figure im unlikely to actually need it didnt want to spend top dollar.

interestingly, if anyone planning on going that route, none of the junk yards anywhere near the cities ive been thorugh have any 2019-21 rangers yet. i hope that is a sign of their durability;)

also, i was told there are two types of alternator that fit this truck. one is a higher amperage rating i think. i assume this is not a newer alternator that is less likely to succumb to the threatened mud death?

cant help but wonder what is on the tremor, since its marketed for offroad.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Electric generator with cooling vents...add water and mud...everything will be ok lol...

electric-auto-motor-concept-cross-section-87819795.jpg

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
what is the airdam tuck?

we arent cowboys. but since we go far from the beaten path i did invest in a spare alternator and belt. i assume it works... from a parts yard and it looks ok. cost about a third of the new alternator cost and given i figure im unlikely to actually need it didnt want to spend top dollar.

interestingly, if anyone planning on going that route, none of the junk yards anywhere near the cities ive been thorugh have any 2019-21 rangers yet. i hope that is a sign of their durability;)

also, i was told there are two types of alternator that fit this truck. one is a higher amperage rating i think. i assume this is not a newer alternator that is less likely to succumb to the threatened mud death?

cant help but wonder what is on the tremor, since its marketed for offroad.
you do some cutting on the air dam and tuck it into the skid plate to eliminate the gap there are threads on here about it

OP
OP
charwest

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
you do some cutting on the air dam and tuck it into the skid plate to eliminate the gap there are threads on here about it
ah i see, doenst apply to our FX4 where there is no air dam to speak of. sorry i missed the previous thread.

i will say that after this week i do feel a little better about things- one day we did about 5 miles of continuous puddle wading and watery ruts. interminable slow moving in the snowmelt in the mountains. easily over 100 puddles (?ponds) up to a max couple inches over the tire. i waded each one slowly without blowing through them and there was no appreciable water or dirt on the alternator at the end of the day.

a few days later did a couple miles of horrendous mud- couldnt stop until i ploughed to the end of the road otherwise i felt confident with no momentum i wasnt going to get out and i didnt want to back out of this narrow single track a half mile. thick gooey water logged clay mud which turned the entire front end into an impacted mountain of sludge. spinning our wheels like crazy the whole way and sliding all over the place. once we limped our way out i checked under the hood. still- nothing on the alternator. the fx4 bash guard without any modifications keeps water and mud out if you arent fording deep stuff i guess.

lawrench

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4 Lightning Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I do not know, but this person does..

Sponsored