who out there is mudding without alternator problems?

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
my wife and i will be in the middle of nowhere for a year, where mudding is pretty much the only offroad game. ive browsed with some interest the intermittent "my alternator died after i went mudding" threads. it seems like there is something there. it makes sense. but then- people who use this forum and then go so far as to post to this forum are generally the small sample of people who actually have problems.

so im curious- any way to sample how many ranger folks are mudding or doing dirty/grimy river crossings (water is obviously muddy or sandy) without problems? if most folks arent havent trouble it would make me feel better.

reality is i could be in trouble if i burn the alternator here. there are no parts on this island, delivery times for parts is weeks to months, and that is even if there is no alternator backorder problem.

im interested in the group experience, and would love YOUR input.

(secondary question: some people say its safe to spray out the inside of the alternator. some say they arent comfortable with it. clearly water gets in there, so why would it be unsafe to wash it out with water after a river crossing or muddy adventure? logically it seems like you would only make things better, but im not engineer.)
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
The main problem that comes by is mud getting in between the main contacts inside the alternator. With water it can(key word) be an issue due to possible short circuit. That is why Ford states when stock to not let the water level to get above the half way mark on the wheels.

Could you take the alternator out to take it apart and clean it? Possible but i dont know if anyone here has any experience doing such yet.

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
They dont hold up well being submerged long in water. That goes for any alt really, mud is actually less of a worry if its nice and thick not liquid. If your not strapped, maybe price a spare. The Toyota guys would keep spares and change in the field when needed. Although most are going to sealed units now. Chances are, it will hold up, then again as for anytime you offroad. Something can spontaneously break. The Alts are the weak point in those situations for US Rangers IMO.

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
I haven’t done much mudding but a lot of deep snow 4 wheeling and no problems. Correct me if I’m wrong but if you just carried a small car charger and a generator that could limp you along in case of emergency of no alternator.

62DADB61-5F79-49D2-B194-6A1D1392E43B.jpeg

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Not knowing your situation this may not be an option but is buying an extra alternator (even if aftermarket) and taking it along with you in a water tight package (even a 2 gallon ziplock) might be good insurance in a remote area with water crossings?

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Alternators do not like water or mud period. Water shorts out contacts and the diodes in there won’t take that abuse. Bearings don’t like water ether.

Mud will quickly take the varnish off the windings and yup short out.

Hosing off occasionally and let dry naturally might get you some extra life but how much is anyone’s guess.

Realistically, because of where it lives on the engine the true fix for this long term is a sealed unit. Eventually that will happen as this is a common problem with this new generation of vehicles from Ford.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Wondering if dielectric spray cleaner after water rinse would help ?
Alternators do not like water or mud period. Water shorts out contacts and the diodes in there won’t take that abuse. Bearings don’t like water ether.

Mud will quickly take the varnish off the windings and yup short out.

Hosing off occasionally and let dry naturally might get you some extra life but how much is anyone’s guess.

Realistically, because of where it lives on the engine the true fix for this long term is a sealed unit. Eventually that will happen as this is a common problem with this new generation of vehicles from Ford.

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
Wondering if dielectric spray cleaner after water rinse would help ?
We use to spray this stuff called Corrosion X on all of our electronic parts on RC airplanes that we flew off water in case they did get wet. It worked really well to “waterproof” them. Wonder if that might help? I know it’s not necessarily meant for that but we sprayed and let it dry right on sensitive electrical boards and it worked very well

414105D5-102F-4D54-B100-0F658A73316E.png

OP
OP
charwest

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
thanks for the responses folks, althouhg i admit i was hoping for a deluge of "yeah i get drive our ranger through muddy crossings all the time and dont have problems". the notable silence on that front isnt reassuring. i guess i can look into getting a spare alternator before getting into any messes, not unreasonable, but still expected to be complex out here in the pacific boonies.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
thanks for the responses folks, althouhg i admit i was hoping for a deluge of "yeah i get drive our ranger through muddy crossings all the time and dont have problems". the notable silence on that front isnt reassuring. i guess i can look into getting a spare alternator before getting into any messes, not unreasonable, but still expected to be complex out here in the pacific boonies.
Buy a 500$ beater locally, put 500$ into it, then beat the snot out of it forever. It's still cheaper than beating your expensive truck and losing an unobtainable alternator.

Second to this, a splash plate would probably help. Think a rubber mat ziptied to something in front of the alternator so that when mud and crap comes up through the gaps below, it shields the alternator from danger.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I just posted this in a different thread about the same issue...

I'm really crossing my fingers for the following:
  • That the 2.3 Bronco does indeed have a sealed alternator.
  • That the 2.3 Bronco's alternator works on our motor.
  • That the 2.3 Bronco's alternator is not impossible to buy.
  • That the 2.3 Bronco's alternator isn't $1 Billion.
?

Last edited: