First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Land Surveyor
Yeah, same here. I keep lots of tools with me because I'm in remote areas a lot of the time but regardless, I'm with you. Pretty unnerving issue and one I would like to figure out as well. I have had older fords that would shift better after pulling the battery to reset the ecu/tcu on occasion but never a complete loss of power like this.
Sponsored

Tfcurranjr

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired USAF pilot
Maybe aliens, a lightning strike, or a solar flare, turned your Ranger into a Honda…(chronic electrical issues)….

MathGod

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Platinum Lariat
Occupation
Educator
We need to report this to Ford like Phil said.

stringbreaker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I had a ATS 6 speed manual that would go into limp mode if you cranked it too fast. GM had automatic transmission programming in it that would load first, then the manual programming would load over top. Pretty hilarious.

Basically it would nearly brick itself if you started before the manual trans coding ran. Because it wouldn't know what gear you were in and it would shit it self.

I would have to pull the battery cables and let it sit for a bit.
My wife had a 2003 Saturn Ion six speed and it would do this on occasion. I would disconnect the battery and wait for 10 minutes and it would wake up, what a PITA though. Had the ignition switch replaced twice and it would still do that. Loved the car but yeah this sucked

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
My XLT is a year old this month, and hasn't done it yet (knock, knock). I have my off road lights and HAM radio wired to the battery B+ via a fused relay and grounded to frame with a remote trigger. The only way to do it as the HAM rig draws close to 20 amps on transmit and that would overload any OEM circuit. Haven't had any issues at all.

dart330

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger XLT SuperCab
Had this happen to me for the first time today. 2023 xlt with 3k miles. Went to lunch, came outside and it was completely unresponsive. Key fob didn’t work, no lights, etc.

Popped the hood to see if a battery cable was loose, they weren’t. Trying to move the negative was enough to reset it as when I opened the door everything came back to life and I was able to start it.

Definitely concerning. Will carry a wrench going forward so I can remove the battery cable if this happens again.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Had this happen to me for the first time today. 2023 xlt with 3k miles. Went to lunch, came outside and it was completely unresponsive. Key fob didn’t work, no lights, etc.

Popped the hood to see if a battery cable was loose, they weren’t. Trying to move the negative was enough to reset it as when I opened the door everything came back to life and I was able to start it.

Definitely concerning. Will carry a wrench going forward so I can remove the battery cable if this happens again.
No need for a wrench, as posted above, I dug deep into the issue.

It is Timed based, 3 minutes to 10-Minutes and it will magically come back to life.

Mysterious No Start - Magically Starts Issue | 2019+ Ford Ranger and Raptor Forum (5th Generation) - Ranger5G.com

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
hope it dont happen when i need to get to the toilet or hospital... 3 to 10 minutes can be life and death or photo finish vs lifetime of shame and cleaning upholstery .

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
No need for a wrench, as posted above, I dug deep into the issue.

It is Timed based, 3 minutes to 10-Minutes and it will magically come back to life.

Mysterious No Start - Magically Starts Issue | 2019+ Ford Ranger and Raptor Forum (5th Generation) - Ranger5G.com
Yes on the no-wrench-needed talk, no one needs to have one of these useless wrenches ... (I'm hoarding 10mm wrenches like silver and gold for the apocalypse!). =D

But seriously, having had this issue once, I greatly appreciate your research and sharing what this is. I certainly will remain much calmer if it ever happens again.

I may, or may not, have a 4th 10mm on my Soupie Keychain...

1695850956580.png

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
I wonder if trying to remote start it from the app will wake it up. Might use a different module or something to get it going.
Remote start requires 1 important thing for it to work- Doors must be locked, so with the door lock circuit not seeing the wake signal, it is the same.
As this will also explain trying to remote start- getting an error about communication, then trying again and it works , I have not timed this error but I am guessing it would be the 3 minute timer.

Ranger Lariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hot Wheel
Every time I successfully start and drive (my super low mileage - 5k miles) 2022 LARIAT/TREMOR I count my blessings. You know, will the tranny or driveshaft fail, do I need a “catch can”, will water drip into my engine and foul my spark plugs? Well, maybe not because I bought and installed an OEM engine cover that SHOULD have come installed on the top build package Ranger Ford sells.

Honestly, every time I get in my truck I hold my breath.

“Built Ford Tough” 🤣

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
I wonder if trying to remote start it from the app will wake it up. Might use a different module or something to get it going.
For me, the Start-X remote start didn't wake it up - it's the time delay that @airline tech has so well documented and explained. =)
Sponsored