What is the correct trailer hitch ball mount size and height for?

LaKings

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I just bought an 18 foot bass boat and will pick it up next Friday. My Ranger is stock all the way around with tow package. Does anybody know the right ball mount hitch to purchase? Links to item would be helpful. Thanks!
Sponsored

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
I think it really depends on the trailer itself. Level it off, back the truck up to it and determine the drop needed. Most boats and boat trailers don’t have too much tongue weight. You shouldn’t expect too much droop.
I carry one of those ones with three balls on a straight shank. Good to have in case of emergency. You could use one to tow the boat/trailer to the nearest auto parts store where you can get the correct setup.

TN Ranger

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electricain
Like he said above depends on your trailer. My 6x10 I use one with no drop and sits really close to level. It has 15 in wheels. The 5x8 only has 13 in wheels and I use a 2 1/4 drop to keep it level.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
The tow package uses a 2" receiver. The size of the ball and amount of the drop depend on your trailer. Boats are generally lighter than camping trailers and usually use a 1 7/8" or 2" ball. I have a jetski and haven't towed it with the Ranger yet but I think it's higher than my old Sport Trac and I might have to get a ball mount with more drop to keep it level.

WOADKIL

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Supercrew Cab FX4
Occupation
ENGINEER
What I use for my travel trailer:

4C5162B7-7C4C-412C-B774-2042DFBA9D17.jpeg
Sponsored