What do you regret buying for your Ranger?

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
For me, it's my rock sliders. I don't regret that I got them per se, bc they've definitely served their purpose off road. They're all scratched/gouged/dinged up on the underside which would have otherwise been damage to my door sills. But I regret getting them welded to the frame - should have paid a professional to weld them on for me instead of a friend. After they cooled down from getting welded on, they warped a bit and the arms bent up, coming in real close to the pinch welds. Anytime I hit a pot holed road (which are abundant in Michigan), the slider arms bounce off the pinch welds and it makes a knocking noise. Super annoying.

If I were to re-do it, I would have just gotten "rock sliders" that attached to the body to eliminate this issue. I'm not dropping the truck off of rocks when I go off-road, I just need them to act as a barrier when I drive over rocks. Raptor-style sliders would have been perfect for me.
Sponsored

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
Interesting thread, thanks for starting it! Thankfully nothing yet, but, like some, I do tend to research everything to the n'th degree. :crackup: BUT, I did upgrade the Ford all-weather mats that came with truck to Weathertech so if anyone in BC wants a front pair check craigslist. :LOL:

Regrets I haven't purchased yet: Livernois Tune
Are these here the mats you didn't care for? If so, could you elaborate a bit? I was thinking of purchasing these for my truck. I live in SoCal, so mud, rain, and snow is not a big issue. However, the black carpet mats are not cutting it and want something to collect dirt when out in our local mountains and desert.

Thanks!

Jamesb

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 501A, Build Date 12/19
Occupation
Engineering
Are these here the mats you didn't care for? If so, could you elaborate a bit? I was thinking of purchasing these for my truck. I live in SoCal, so mud, rain, and snow is not a big issue. However, the black carpet mats are not cutting it and want something to collect dirt when out in our local mountains and desert.

Thanks!
Hi Shea, nice to meet you. The mats were fine, I was just gifted the Weathertech's is all. Below are some pictures of the mats I had in there. Living in the Pacific Northwest wet feet is a norm for winter so having a dedicated "reservoir" area like on the Weathertech is a bonus. Also, you'll note the Fords don't have protection under the Accelerator..

https://www.weathertech.ca/en/ford/...4/supercrew/ranger-floor-type-4/carpet-floor/

I think you'd be wise to check them out or Husky before forking out $175 bucks for Fords. That or I'll sell you mine for $50 and you pay shipping. :LOL::thumbsup:

20201107_131624_resized_1.jpg

20201107_131632_resized_1.jpg

20201107_131614_resized_1.jpg

20201107_131608_resized_1.jpg

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Hi Shea, nice to meet you. The mats were fine, I was just gifted the Weathertech's is all. Below are some pictures of the mats I had in there. Living in the Pacific Northwest wet feet is a norm for winter so having a dedicated "reservoir" area like on the Weathertech is a bonus. Also, you'll note the Fords don't have protection under the Accelerator..

https://www.weathertech.ca/en/ford/...4/supercrew/ranger-floor-type-4/carpet-floor/

I think you'd be wise to check them out or Husky before forking out $175 bucks for Fords. That or I'll sell you mine for $50 and you pay shipping. :LOL::thumbsup:

Only if the shoes come with it. ? ?

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red

Ahh... thanks for that, James. I didn't realize that they didn't have the protection under the accelerator. That may be a game changer for me.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
My collision warning goes bonkers on back windy roads when there’s traffic coming at me.

that can be turned off. i swear mine was letting me know there were pot holes. turn it off under driver assist on the dash. crooked panels would put me off too

Last edited:

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew 2x4
Occupation
IT
1) The Ford hard tonneau cover,
2) Plastic bedliner
3) 2 swing-away bed boxes

1) I've had hard folding covers on my last 3 trucks and this is the only one that leaks. Weird, because it looks like the Ford cover is a BakFlip and my others were Bakflip also. I don't really view this as a regret, but I'm disappointed I didn't get a different cover that seals better.

2) The bedliner just makes it too hard to get at the tie-down hooks; especially when loaded. If Ford had put the hooks up higher, it wouldn't be an issue, because I've had liners before and never saw this as a problem.
This one, at least, got solved for me. At 2000mi a forklift rammed my box and cab, and also damaged the liner. I had insurance spray the box instead of replacing the liner.

3) I should have only bought 1 box. The bed is small enough and 2 boxes takes up too much room for me. I find I'm always pulling one of the boxes out.
I realize you already resolved (2-bedliner) but for anyone who hasn't, I felt the same way about the drop-in liner on my prior Ranger until I started using a workaround that eliminated the problem for me.

My sister had a Ranger, too, but she'd spent a summer in her 20's as a stagehand for some travelling show. She taught me the trick of clipping a big carabiner or locking carabiner (looks like a link of chain with a nut in the middle, covering a gap) to each tie-down. They extend the tie-down so it pokes out the access hole. When you want to use the hole covers, the carabiners tuck inside the liner, out of sight.

It would be really good if extended tie-downs were available that would just reach the access holes yet still allow the plugs to fit. Wouldn't be hard to make, especially for light duty use milled from aluminum.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bthomas5456

Bthomas5456

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Glad this thread is active its nice knowing what works and doesn't cause i would rather buy once and cry once than buy something twice.

Im not happy with my weathertech floor mats. They only seem to grip at the connection point and while using your feet to adjust your posture they can put stress on 1 of those 2 connection points. The permanent roommate already broke 1 on the passenger side.

Those cheap textured cup holder liners are kind of pointless. Could have used that for gas $.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
....huh.
Well not the answer I was expecting, but i'll bite. Get the arbath (however its spelled) and live life to the fullest my friend.
It's "Abarth" but I like A-barf Arbath...

Jamesb

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 501A, Build Date 12/19
Occupation
Engineering
Im not happy with my weathertech floor mats. They only seem to grip at the connection point and while using your feet to adjust your posture they can put stress on 1 of those 2 connection points. The permanent roommate already broke 1 on the passenger side.
Interesting note: What model mats do you have? I have 4415181 and noticed when I went looking on their website today they have a new model # 4416401 for 2020. :question:

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
black magic tire shine. it made my tires turn brown
Many of those tire shine products as well as Armor All pull the carbon black out of the tire carcass. The carbon black is impregnated into the tire and helps preserve the rubber over the tire's life.
When I picked up mt 2015 Flex, they had put tire shine on it for delivery. First car wash I too had the dreaded brown walls the rest of the time I had it. When the lease was up and traded it fo my current Escape, I told them no tire shine and why. They didn't, and I have nice dull but black sidewalls.

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'm still trying to convince her she needs a Bronco. So far it's not going as planned. :crying:

She's tougher to crack than AL (@Texasota) and that darn damper!?
Dave correct me if I am wrong but if I recall you stated somewhere that you are Polish. I am 100%, so try a little Polish reverse psychology, start agreeing with & explaining why she probably would not like or be happy the Bronco, making sure she see's little tidbits of the new Bronco, the more she thinks about it the better it will appeal to her. :thumbsup: :clap: Then it will be her idea & all ends well.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Tailgate damper for sure

I calculated how much time of my life will be wasted waiting for it to drop, and found out it was 11 months, 2 weeks 6 days and 12 hrs give or take a bit.
Imagine all the other things i could do?

I could go to the gym and do bicep curls and stay strong
No regrets yet, but then again I avoided buying the damper.
As The Dave
1606332753575.png
may mention, he had to buy the truck because he created the damper.

All I am surrounded by is fear, and nondampered men.

1606332633360.png

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I wish I hadn't wasted time and money installing the Rough Country 2.5" leveling kit, and just gone straight to the Eibach adjustable coilovers that I have now. That RC kit was a massive pain in the butt to get installed, and ultimately was not really what I wanted anyhow.
Sponsored