What do you regret buying for your Ranger?

forestale

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat FX4
Occupation
Manufacturing
For me it was the hasty tonneau cover purchase a week after we got the truck. It's a great cover, don't get me wrong, but a tonneau cover just wasn't the right solution for us. We ended up buying a topper less than a year later and now I just have this practically brand new tonneau cover just sitting on a shelf in my workshop. The Ranger is too new for me to find anyone locally who wants it, and shipping would cost a fortune. So now I'm stuck with it.
I'll be in the same boat soon. Though I don't regret buying a tonneau since I needed something to lockup the bed, I realize now what I really want is a cap and roof racks to carry long material, should have realized that sooner.

As for regrets, I wish I bought the XL rokbloxs instead of regulars.
Sponsored

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
The cap. The plan was that when we went somewhere the dogs would be in the back, and while it's nice to have covered storage the dogs have been back there all of three times. I'd have been better off getting a tonneau and one of those best top caps.

I'm thinking about listing it for sale, it'll be a hard sell I'm sure.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I'm one who only buys what I need not every gadget out there. I tend to research things to death before buying them but that's not always fool proof. With that said....I have zero regerts. ?

No-Regerts.jpg

WLFPIR8

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
whor.us
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4/Sport in Saber Orange
Occupation
Systems engineer by day, maker and multimedia guru by night.
Vehicle Showcase
It's good to have a "this sucks" thread, because not every aftermarket part is good for everyone.

So far for me, MAYBE the side steps, as I should have gone with more of a rock slider style. but, being short, I need something to step on. Otherwise, having to buy a brake controller twice is annoying. But that's all Fords fault.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
The whole truck....lol.

Itā€™s a nice truck, but Iā€™m wishing I had gone another route.
Curious as to what you don't like and what you wished you bought? I can see it being to small for some but if you're comparing this to other mid size trucks I personally don't think the others hold a candle to the Ranger.

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
I don't regret it yet but I just bought a Lariat headlight with small crack on side. Seems like it it can be easily repaired but this project could also go south quickly.

Screenshot_20201124-150927.png

Jamesb

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 501A, Build Date 12/19
Occupation
Engineering
Interesting thread, thanks for starting it! Thankfully nothing yet, but, like some, I do tend to research everything to the n'th degree. :crackup: BUT, I did upgrade the Ford all-weather mats that came with truck to Weathertech so if anyone in BC wants a front pair check craigslist. :LOL:

Regrets I haven't purchased yet: Livernois Tune

Ole.Jaxon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCab
Curious as to what you don't like and what you wished you bought? I can see it being to small for some but if you're comparing this to other mid size trucks I personally don't think the others hold a candle to the Ranger.
Iā€™m really not impressed with the build quality. My door was misaligned and rubbing the paint off the pillar so it had to be fixed and painted. My hood, and fenders were very misaligned, and I had to fix them myself. There is a tiny crack in my headlight housing. There are a lot of little things that Iā€™ve noticed the more I drive it. Thereā€™s no limitation for the center console cup holder area. I also donā€™t have lights in the PRNDS selector so I canā€™t use that for location reference. Itā€™s petty I know, but I drive at night a lot and itā€™s annoying banging my cup around till I find the holder. My 4Runner had a little LED above that illuminated the area. Little things I didnā€™t know I enjoyed till they were gone...lol. My collision warning goes bonkers on back windy roads when thereā€™s traffic coming at me. That alarm is enough to cause an accident. I love the look of the front end, the blue color I selected, and the seats are very comfortable. Those are my high points. ?

I kinda wish I would have went with a 4 door for a little more space & rear locker, but thatā€™s my fault, not the trucks fault.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
That's easy....wish I would have bought the eibach adjustable struts to level instead of the spacer.

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
Not a complete regret, but I spent a lot of time and work getting my tonneau system and bed racked worked out and while I do like it, I would REALLY like to have the RSI smart cap. I think it would work out better for my use case.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Iā€™m really not impressed with the build quality. My door was misaligned and rubbing the paint off the pillar so it had to be fixed and painted. My hood, and fenders were very misaligned, and I had to fix them myself. There is a tiny crack in my headlight housing. There are a lot of little things that Iā€™ve noticed the more I drive it. Thereā€™s no limitation for the center console cup holder area. I also donā€™t have lights in the PRNDS selector so I canā€™t use that for location reference. Itā€™s petty I know, but I drive at night a lot and itā€™s annoying banging my cup around till I find the holder. My 4Runner had a little LED above that illuminated the area. Little things I didnā€™t know I enjoyed till they were gone...lol. My collision warning goes bonkers on back windy roads when thereā€™s traffic coming at me. That alarm is enough to cause an accident. I love the look of the front end, the blue color I selected, and the seats are very comfortable. Those are my high points. ?

I kinda wish I would have went with a 4 door for a little more space & rear locker, but thatā€™s my fault, not the trucks fault.
Yeah I'd be discouraged too. It's weird how some had the same problems as you did, it's like the QC dept fell asleep during that time. Thankfully mines been great and I haven't had any of those issues or any others for that matter. One pet peeve is how thin the panels are (like beer can thin) but I'm sure it's a cost/weight savings thing. I was thinking of trading it in for a Badlands Bronco in '22 but the more I drive it I just love it! ? So now I think I'm going to keep it and go Base model SAS for a killer off roader. Hope you eventually get something that you like.

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I'd be discouraged too. It's weird how some had the same problems as you did, it's like the QC dept fell asleep during that time. Thankfully mines been great and I haven't had any of those issues or any others for that matter. One pet peeve is how thin the panels are (like beer can thin) but I'm sure it's a cost/weight savings thing. I was thinking of trading it in for a Badlands Bronco in '22 but the more I drive it I just love it! ? So now I think I'm going to keep it and go Base model SAS for a killer off roader. Hope you eventually get something that you like.
Thought you were (giving) selling it to your girlfriend when you got your Bronco.?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Thought you were (giving) selling it to your girlfriend when you got your Bronco.?
I'm still trying to convince her she needs a Bronco. So far it's not going as planned. :crying:

She's tougher to crack than AL (@Texasota) and that darn damper!?
Sponsored