Why do I always spend more than I need to?

Davejb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL STX
Case in point. We wanted to bring our bikes camping with us this summer, so to keep the bed useable for the tent and equipment I decided to install a class 3 receiver and get a bike rack for it. Now I didn't need a class 3 for this but figured I'm buying it so might as well get one that matched my tow rating, even though I'll likely never tow.
Then I decided if I have the receiver it seems kind of odd that I wouldn't have the wiring harness for said trailer that I'll likely never tow so more money there, I bought the 7 pin harness and also a 7 pin to 4 pin adapter "just in case".
I just can't seem to do things halfway, my dad taught me to do things right if you're going to do them, so I guess I'll blame him, thanks dad!
Sponsored

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Case in point. We wanted to bring our bikes camping with us this summer, so to keep the bed useable for the tent and equipment I decided to install a class 3 receiver and get a bike rack for it. Now I didn't need a class 3 for this but figured I'm buying it so might as well get one that matched my tow rating, even though I'll likely never tow.
Then I decided if I have the receiver it seems kind of odd that I wouldn't have the wiring harness for said trailer that I'll likely never tow so more money there, I bought the 7 pin harness and also a 7 pin to 4 pin adapter "just in case".
I just can't seem to do things halfway, my dad taught me to do things right if you're going to do them, so I guess I'll blame him, thanks dad!
Well...you just never know, might come in handy. Sounds like smart thinking to me. :clap:

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I'm right there with you, was brought up the same way. To use your example. Why put a class II hitch on when some day you might need the class III. Then you need to replace it at more cost. A little more up front equal less in the long run.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
I'm in the same boat David, except I haven't bought the wiring harness yet. Needed a hitch for the bike rack, and like you my old worn out mind said, and this is what my dear old Dad always told me, "It only cost a little more to go first class". Do ya think my Dad knew your Dad? :)

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
IMHO it's only bad if you can't afford it. I wouldn't buy unnecessary items with rent money. This board doesn't tend to attract the most financial savy individuals. I'm not saying that's the case here but I see it all too often around these parts.

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P
Occupation
Retired
Hey, have you considered the advantages of a really nice, used Thule 4-bike rack? I mean, you could get away cheaper but then you'd worry more about your bikes and I don't want to see you go through any more stress! :LOL:
Sponsored