What did you receive in the mail today for your Ranger?

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
Ah yes, the Ford Focus oil change follys. Remember them well. It was to low to drive up ramps so had to jack it up and get it on stands. Then the cover needed to be removed. The plastic screw inserts didn’t last long after the dealer stripped them out the first oil change. Then if you didn’t put it back on a certain way the inevitable call for the wife that something is wrong with the car after you changed the oil. Is it ok to drive it like this? Don’t miss that show one bit!
Rick, I remember an experience with a front wheel drive car...had some drive up ramps and it would try to spin them underneath the tires! Ended up jacking it up and putting it on stands.

Do you change oil on your Ranger yourself and if so do you need to jack it up? Also, do you find it as convenient as taking it to a shop? I try to do every thing I can within reason so it gets done right :)

Last edited:

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Rick, I remember an experience with a front wheel drive car...had some drive up ramps and it would try to spin them underneath the tires!

Do you change oil on your Ranger yourself and if so do you need to jack it up? Also, do you find it as convenient as taking it to a shop? I try to do every thing I can within reason so it gets done right :)
I change the Rangers oil. Don’t need to jack it up but, I’m in my 60’s now so the ramps just make the process effortless. I can get at the filter without removing the tire. I did change out the plastic rivets the factory uses though. Those are most definitely a PITA

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I change the Rangers oil. Don’t need to jack it up but, I’m in my 60’s now so the ramps just make the process effortless. I can get at the filter without removing the tire. I did change out the plastic rivets the factory uses though. Those are most definitely a PITA
Where are the plastic rivets and what are they attached to? A photo or illustration would be appreciated if available :). Do you use the factory plug and torque yourself or do you have an aftermarket with a valve?

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Where are the plastic rivets and what are they attached to? A photo or illustration would be appreciated if available :). Do you use the factory plug and torque it yourself or do you have an aftermarket with a valve?
PS, the upgrade to the 265/70/17's should give me a 1.5" increase in height for a little more clearance. Also, my driveway is sloped so this may help a little bit more.

Last edited:

Bsenecal

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew, 2017 Ford Fusion Sport, 1968 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Military
I changed mine without jacking it . There are a few good videos on YouTube. I followed one that had me turn the wheel full right to provide enough room to access the filter. You will probably need a filter wrench as the factory puts them on fairly tight.
You also only need to remove 4 of the screws on the flap in the driver’s side fender well to get to the filter.
Brian

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering
Where are the plastic rivets and what are they attached to? A photo or illustration would be appreciated if available :). Do you use the factory plug and torque yourself or do you have an aftermarket with a valve?
Plastic rivets are holding the mud flap in place that covers the oil filter access. You need a fork trim tool and a Phillips screw driver to get them out. It’s an exercise in contortions. Reinserting them isn’t the issue. I got the ones pictured for 6mm hole size. Pop the top then pull rivet.

Couple of members mentioned using magnets as a replacement. Not so sure about that with New England weather.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LDJ0QJQ/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?smid=A1THAZDOWP300U&psc=1

I did the Fumoto one with the detachable hose. Money well spent! https://www.fumotousa.com/cars-pickups-ford-2020-ranger-2-3l-l4-turbo

8D383F22-3ED9-48F7-BEED-1140E6D7DD66.jpeg

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Plastic rivets are holding the mud flap in place that covers the oil filter access. You need a fork trim tool and a Phillips screw driver to get them out. It’s an exercise in contortions. Reinserting them isn’t the issue. I got the ones pictured for 6mm hole size. Pop the top then pull rivet.

Couple of members mentioned using magnets as a replacement. Not so sure about that with New England weather.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LDJ0QJQ/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?smid=A1THAZDOWP300U&psc=1

I did the Fumoto one with the detachable hose. Money well spent! https://www.fumotousa.com/cars-pickups-ford-2020-ranger-2-3l-l4-turbo

8D383F22-3ED9-48F7-BEED-1140E6D7DD66.jpeg
Thanks Rick,
I think this Panel removal tool kit from Amazon will work for the rivets. The rivets look similar to the ones that I replaced before installing the AVS Bug Deflector. Do you replace the existing rivets after you remove them or do you use new ones after each removal?

Panel removal tool (Amazon).jpg

New push pin fastener (open).jpg

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering
Thanks Rick,
I think this Panel removal tool kit from Amazon will work for the rivets. The rivets look similar to the ones that I replaced before installing the AVS Bug Deflector. Do you replace the existing rivets after you remove them or do you use new ones after each removal?

Panel removal tool (Amazon).jpg

New push pin fastener (open).jpg
First time I removed them into the emergency parts bag and put the new style in. Same as you, as I come across more for whatever I’m doing just replace them. Whoever invented that style of fastener was a masochist

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
I love it when a plan comes together! ?
And I already mounted a Swing Case on the passenger side.

BuiltRight rack with tools.jpg

Glock e-tool & knife.jpg
Looks good. Every time I see that glock “survival” kit I want one. But, every time I see the price tag, I cry.

BDoc

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 SCrew
Occupation
US Air Force, retired; now Civil Service (USAF)
Vehicle Showcase
FedEx delivered my window deflectors.

20210618_140622.jpg

Mastodon

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2020 Explorer Limited
I got pics of my truck’s repair sent to me! Sure, these didn’t come in the mail today, but by text message. Close enough. Who cares.

B9FF0C2E-1B33-432E-A28F-2B87FFF0E317.jpeg

CADEB6A5-A47F-42EE-BEC2-46EF3FA32A78.jpeg

3677CE7B-B501-4A55-8578-D1E372403718.jpeg

76163F86-A106-45BD-B70D-616E7FCC9F46.jpeg

Progress is being made, now that all the parts arrived and the suspension and drivetrain have been fixed.

Secousse

First Name
Secousse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
Looks good. Every time I see that glock “survival” kit I want one. But, every time I see the price tag, I cry.
I returned the Gerber e-tool I "impulse-bought" for $52 at Sportsman's Warehouse since this Glock one was cheaper (and has a saw blade in the handle). The knife was cheap too compared to how much they go for:

Respectively paid $38.99 for Glock Entrenching Tool (ET17070) and $27.99 for Glock 81 Survival Knife (KB17281) at https://www.tinstarshootingrange.com
(I think I used https://gun.deals or https://gunwatcher.com to find the cheapest prices including shipping)

Secousse

First Name
Secousse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
Radioddity GA-2S UHF two-way radios that I only paid a whole 22 bucks for!

They are real ham radios preconfigured with 16 preset channels, and they can be configured through software to connect to repeaters but also work on the FRS/GMRS bands.

But best of all: you can charge them with the micro-USB cable provided, connected to the truck ports/solar/power bank.

I'm going to use them while off-roading (for my spotter) or camping, and they should also work great with the mobile radio I plan to install in the truck later, or GMRS radios from other vehicles...

Radioddity GA-2S.jpg

jmurph

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Ranger
Occupation
Gov
Icon overnighted me the proper remote resi mounts for free A+ company got them in time for my trip, now to see if this aftermarket sway bar link will be good or bad since it doesn't have ball joints on both ends like oem, but says it fits the ranger.?