Beautiful area around Damascus. AT runs through there as well.stayed in Damascus, VA and rode the creeper trail. Highly recommend it. 34 miles of rails to trails and can shuttle to the top if you're so inclined. Stayed at a cottage that is 10 ft off the trail. if you are into cycling ride the 17 miles to the top, have your significant other shuttle to the top, then coast down.
Virginia Creeper Trail Conservancy – Nonprofit organization benefiting Virginia's hall of fame rail trail. (vacreepertrail.org)
![]()
That's a decent price. Our Number 2 Fuel Oil (diesel) is currently $3.89. The diff between diesel and fuel oil, here in New England, is that there's no tax on fuel oil.Having a rental house that uses off road diesel as a heating fuel, I picked up another 50gallons this morning before work.
$3.65/gal ($188) and thats considered a good deal. Just a couple years ago it was 2.22/gal. This is the only source of heat the house has. I supplement with space heaters.
The truck handles the extra weight just fine.![]()
![]()
My furnace burns 1.2gal/hr but I use it VERY sparingly. The landlord says the tank holds 550 gal or so. With all thats going on in the Middle East, I'm tempted to buy another 50gal while the price is somewhat reasonable.That's a decent price. Our Number 2 Fuel Oil (diesel) is currently $3.89. The diff between diesel and fuel oil, here in New England, is that there's no tax on fuel oil.
Anyway you slice it, it's an expense I cringe at as winter approaches!
Our tank's only 200 gallon and it's the heat for the hot water radiators and shower, so unfortunately, it's used far too much. Plus our 1955 house has no insulation (we're getting insulated this month - finally after 18 years of being here).My furnace burns 1.2gal/hr but I use it VERY sparingly. The landlord says the tank holds 550 gal or so. With all thats going on in the Middle East, I'm tempted to buy another 50gal while the price is somewhat reasonable.
My furnace burns 1.2gal/hr but I use it VERY sparingly. The landlord says the tank holds 550 gal or so. With all thats going on in the Middle East, I'm tempted to buy another 50gal while the price is somewhat reasonable.
Yeah, keeping warm these days is painful. Our cabin uses propane @4.19 a gallon and we have a 1000 gallon underground tank which is buried by snow close to five months a year so I will fill it in the next couple weeks before the snow flies. Probably need another 250 gallons.Our tank's only 200 gallon and it's the heat for the hot water radiators and shower, so unfortunately, it's used far too much. Plus our 1955 house has no insulation (we're getting insulated this month - finally after 18 years of being here).
One tank will last us the summer but we'll go through 7-8 tanks in the winter! And that's using some electric space heaters at times! Bah ...
So hard to guess when to buy it and always painful! Good luck!

WOW David, My house is also built in 1955 and is one year older than me LOL. I have Natural Gas heat and stove. It's a great old house and I absolutely love my property. Lots of work so it keeps me out of the bars. For the good or bad. Also I have two fire places very nice. 1220 SQ FT Ranch style house.Our tank's only 200 gallon and it's the heat for the hot water radiators and shower, so unfortunately, it's used far too much. Plus our 1955 house has no insulation (we're getting insulated this month - finally after 18 years of being here).
One tank will last us the summer but we'll go through 7-8 tanks in the winter! And that's using some electric space heaters at times! Bah ...
So hard to guess when to buy it and always painful! Good luck!
What type of insulation are you going with?Our tank's only 200 gallon and it's the heat for the hot water radiators and shower, so unfortunately, it's used far too much. Plus our 1955 house has no insulation (we're getting insulated this month - finally after 18 years of being here).
One tank will last us the summer but we'll go through 7-8 tanks in the winter! And that's using some electric space heaters at times! Bah ...
So hard to guess when to buy it and always painful! Good luck!
It'll be 3" spray foam for the basement rim joists and 18" of borate cellulose insulation in the attic, 10" in the knee wall, and then whatever fills the normal stud end walls (see, I need @Kristina, she's the resident insulation expert!). =)What type of insulation are you going with?
Not a Ranger...S-10 Chevy or GMC.It'll be 3" spray foam for the basement rim joists and 18" of borate cellulose insulation in the attic, 10" in the knee wall, and then whatever fills the normal stud end walls (see, I need @Kristina, she's the resident insulation expert!). =)
They're shooting for above R49 in the attic (which is small for our cape with 4 foot knee walls upstairs).
Google Streetview of our house (on the right):
![]()
And that Streetview is a pretty old pic, from like 10 years ago, and I can't remember what the neighbor had, but is it a 4G Ranger? A Race Red Ranger? Was Soupie foretold?
![]()
That's a GMC Sonoma. You will see a big difference with that insulation this winter. When I finish our basement next summer, I am going to spray foam the walls and rim joists too.It'll be 3" spray foam for the basement rim joists and 18" of borate cellulose insulation in the attic, 10" in the knee wall, and then whatever fills the normal stud end walls (see, I need @Kristina, she's the resident insulation expert!). =)
They're shooting for above R49 in the attic (which is small for our cape with 4 foot knee walls upstairs).
Google Streetview of our house (on the right):
![]()
And that Streetview is a pretty old pic, from like 10 years ago, and I can't remember what the neighbor had, but is it a 4G Ranger? A Race Red Ranger? Was Soupie foretold?
![]()