Sponsored

What did you do WITH your Ranger today?

subquark

Well-Known Member
First Name
David
Joined
Jan 28, 2022
Threads
11
Messages
4,566
Reaction score
23,251
Location
Portsmouth, NH
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
Hi Duke,

Sigh...Yes...I wore my Picket Sliderule on my belt...No calculator though...the HP 25 was $400 and I had few shekels to my name. Then I got to Ford after a couple paychecks, I bought a Novus Add, Subtract, multiply, and divide for about $99.... Wore that on my belt for the first year as an FCG,
Ford College Graduate.

Best,
Phil
I'm a real fan of slide rules, though I doubt I could work one now. When I was in college, pocket calculators were still very new (1970s) and were not allowed in math or physics classes. However, slide rules were allowed. I was one of a very small number of students who bothered to learn it. I had a few different sizes since the larger ones carried more precision.

Even when calculators were allowed, it was still faster, for me, to use a slide rule.

Then I went to the HP-41C for grad school, which I still have in a box somewhere. It was expensive ($295 in 1979 = over $1K today!) and I had the expansion ports and printer just like in this pic. Notice that this calculator does not have a "equals" function, no = key!

I just looked at the programming language for it and I must have been smart back then! There's no frigging way I could ever figure that out now!

1675973172030.png
Sponsored

 

P. A. Schilke

Well-Known Member
First Name
Phil
Joined
Apr 3, 2019
Threads
149
Messages
7,084
Reaction score
37,224
Location
GV Arizona
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
1
I'm a real fan of slide rules, though I doubt I could work one now. When I was in college, pocket calculators were still very new (1970s) and were not allowed in math or physics classes. However, slide rules were allowed. I was one of a very small number of students who bothered to learn it. I had a few different sizes since the larger ones carried more precision.

Even when calculators were allowed, it was still faster, for me, to use a slide rule.

Then I went to the HP-41C for grad school, which I still have in a box somewhere. It was expensive ($295 in 1979 = over $1K today!) and I had the expansion ports and printer just like in this pic. Notice that this calculator does not have a "equals" function, no = key!

I just looked at the programming language for it and I must have been smart back then! There's no frigging way I could ever figure that out now!

1675973172030.png
Hi David,

I think that calculator used RPN. So the enter key would be last key ie. equal.

RPN is Reverse Polish Notation...Not a joke!

Best,
Phil
 

subquark

Well-Known Member
First Name
David
Joined
Jan 28, 2022
Threads
11
Messages
4,566
Reaction score
23,251
Location
Portsmouth, NH
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
Hi David,

I think that calculator used RPN. So the enter key would be last key ie. equal.

RPN is Reverse Polish Notation...Not a joke!

Best,
Phil
You're right, I forgot that it was RPN!!! It was so difficult to use but could do so much. I had a lot of physics and advanced math, so it was a lifesaver. But I think I'm scarred from it! =D

Without Googling it, I believe it was like this for 1+1=2:
1, Enter, 1, Enter, + this would result in 2, yikes!
 
Last edited:

RangerBill

Well-Known Member
First Name
Bob
Joined
Jun 8, 2022
Threads
3
Messages
1,842
Reaction score
2,577
Location
PA
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew FX4
Occupation
retired
I'm a real fan of slide rules, though I doubt I could work one now. When I was in college, pocket calculators were still very new (1970s) and were not allowed in math or physics classes. However, slide rules were allowed. I was one of a very small number of students who bothered to learn it. I had a few different sizes since the larger ones carried more precision.

Even when calculators were allowed, it was still faster, for me, to use a slide rule.

Then I went to the HP-41C for grad school, which I still have in a box somewhere. It was expensive ($295 in 1979 = over $1K today!) and I had the expansion ports and printer just like in this pic. Notice that this calculator does not have a "equals" function, no = key!

I just looked at the programming language for it and I must have been smart back then! There's no frigging way I could ever figure that out now!

1675973172030.png
There is no equals key because HP used Reverse Polish Notation for number entry. I like it better than non-RPN calculators. My HP25 has RPN also. I still use and prefer it.
 

RangerBill

Well-Known Member
First Name
Bob
Joined
Jun 8, 2022
Threads
3
Messages
1,842
Reaction score
2,577
Location
PA
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew FX4
Occupation
retired
You're tight, I forgot that it was RPN!!! It was so difficult to use but could do so much. I had a lot of physics and advanced math, so it was a lifesaver. But I think I'm scarred from it! =D

Without Googling it, I believe it was like this for 1+1=2:
1, Enter, 1, Enter, + this would result in 2, yikes!
It would be 1, Enter, 1, + for the answer.
 


OrangeStreak

Well-Known Member
First Name
Paul
Joined
Aug 18, 2020
Threads
32
Messages
3,195
Reaction score
13,984
Location
New Mexico
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
I'm a real fan of slide rules, though I doubt I could work one now. When I was in college, pocket calculators were still very new (1970s) and were not allowed in math or physics classes. However, slide rules were allowed. I was one of a very small number of students who bothered to learn it. I had a few different sizes since the larger ones carried more precision.

Even when calculators were allowed, it was still faster, for me, to use a slide rule.

Then I went to the HP-41C for grad school, which I still have in a box somewhere. It was expensive ($295 in 1979 = over $1K today!) and I had the expansion ports and printer just like in this pic. Notice that this calculator does not have a "equals" function, no = key!

I just looked at the programming language for it and I must have been smart back then! There's no frigging way I could ever figure that out now!

1675973172030.png
David,
You might want to resurrect that slide rule...to give us more scientific information about your dump runs... ?‍? :crazy: :inspect:

 

9zero1790

Well-Known Member
First Name
Mark
Joined
Nov 29, 2021
Threads
50
Messages
7,143
Reaction score
24,329
Location
DFW Texas
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
today i drove the 4g 4 cities away to get a quart of transmission fluid. im sure yall know the one, mercon ULV. discovered that the ULV stands for Unavailable from Local Vendors... paid a kidney for it. soon to crawl my flab under the 5g to try to locate the super convenient trans dipstick and sustain a few burns, then try to check the level since its now shifting like a fat girl in corduroy pants:curse:. thanks for making it easy on customers ford lol :rolleyes:
1675979828591.webp
 

DaveT

Well-Known Member
First Name
Dave
Joined
Jan 27, 2023
Threads
7
Messages
210
Reaction score
369
Location
Scottsdale, AZ
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT Ranger Tremor
Occupation
retired
today i drove the 4g 4 cities away to get a quart of transmission fluid. im sure yall know the one, mercon ULV. :rolleyes:
I hope you got it for less than $8 a quart. I know you didn't want to buy a dozen, but it is cheap that way and delivered for free.

Screenshot 2023-02-09 at 3.06.39 PM.webp
 

9zero1790

Well-Known Member
First Name
Mark
Joined
Nov 29, 2021
Threads
50
Messages
7,143
Reaction score
24,329
Location
DFW Texas
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
I hope you got it for less than $8 a quart. I know you didn't want to buy a dozen, but it is cheap that way and delivered for free.

Screenshot 2023-02-09 at 3.06.39 PM.png
no its was twice that per quart. That looks like lv from models a few years ago. all the 1080 take ULV . i asked the counter guy if the price was correct like WAIT - ? if it needs more than a quart i will take it to one of the worst places on earth- a ford dealer service center... and tell them my transmission is tostada fix it under warranty lol. two years after i might get the truck back with it some what running...
 

LostMy65

Well-Known Member
First Name
Robert
Joined
Jul 26, 2022
Threads
19
Messages
1,067
Reaction score
2,682
Location
Oregon
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
It does well -- I've had it for 4 years and hauled it 10's of thousands of miles including a lot of rough roads. After riding a year on the stock suspension, I installed a set of Timbrens which improved things dramatically. Taking corners at full speed is not a problem. Definitely recommend the Timbrens for those hauling heavy loads.

That particular camper is 1200 lbs -- i.e. a few hundred pounds lighter than a lot of popups -- so by the time I load GF, dog, and gear, I'm at capacity for my supercab. I deliberately did not get crew cab which has a shorter bed and lower payload.

So while midsize trucks aren't generally well suited for campers, there are some combos that are nearly ideal. I go into a lot of tight areas where a full size truck would be too big.
Thanks, I just went and tried lifting the front of mine by myself and it's not difficult at all. I'm almost 60 and out of shape, so I'd guess mine weighs 600 pounds maximum. Mine isn't a slide in, it's just a tall camper shell.
I'll take my truck to a scale when I get it mounted just to confirm my estimated weight. But I'm pretty confident now that mine isn't going to be too much for my truck at all. I know it's kinda ugly, but I'll give it a good washing and figured it's only for camping 3 or 4 times a year.

PXL_20230209_214602586.MP.jpg
 

RangerBill

Well-Known Member
First Name
Bob
Joined
Jun 8, 2022
Threads
3
Messages
1,842
Reaction score
2,577
Location
PA
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew FX4
Occupation
retired
today i drove the 4g 4 cities away to get a quart of transmission fluid. im sure yall know the one, mercon ULV. discovered that the ULV stands for Unavailable from Local Vendors... paid a kidney for it. soon to crawl my flab under the 5g to try to locate the super convenient trans dipstick and sustain a few burns, then try to check the level since its now shifting like a fat girl in corduroy pants:curse:. thanks for making it easy on customers ford lol :rolleyes:
1675979828591.webp
It's $5.29 a quart at Rock Auto.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...ansmission-automatic,transmission+fluid,11387
 
Last edited:

banerjek

Well-Known Member
First Name
Kyle
Joined
Feb 29, 2020
Threads
4
Messages
58
Reaction score
141
Location
Oregon
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Thanks, I just went and tried lifting the front of mine by myself and it's not difficult at all. I'm almost 60 and out of shape, so I'd guess mine weighs 600 pounds maximum. Mine isn't a slide in, it's just a tall camper shell.
I'll take my truck to a scale when I get it mounted just to confirm my estimated weight. But I'm pretty confident now that mine isn't going to be too much for my truck at all.
You're totally in the clear. I seriously doubt anything you'd reasonably want to haul is going to be close to max and there's no way you'll hurt the frame with that thing.

I toyed with the idea of getting a shell. Much cheaper and way more aerodynamic. But my GF insisted on the slide in route, and I'm really happy about how it worked out. Even when it's below zero outside, I've never set my heater above medium, and the beer fridge is nice. I keep my camper ready to roll (food, clothes, everything) so all I need to do is step into it -- I find that convenience makes me take a lot more trips than I otherwise would. Also, it's nice to hang out in -- sometimes it's nice to not have to rough it :)
 

DukeCanBuildit

Well-Known Member
First Name
Duke
Joined
Jul 27, 2020
Threads
66
Messages
8,802
Reaction score
42,033
Location
Here
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Hi David,

I think that calculator used RPN. So the enter key would be last key ie. equal.

RPN is Reverse Polish Notation...Not a joke!

Best,
Phil
It was a bit like the damper wars back then - you were either on the side of Texas Instruments or Hewlett-Packard. I was a TI person and because of the Reverse Polish Notation, HP was nicknamed Hewlett-Backwards. :D
Sponsored

 
 








Top