What did you do to make her mad?

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Before my wife passed away in early 2018, four days before our 48th anniversary, we used shared banking accounts and always shared when one or the other made large purchases. She had nearly $15k in camera equipment and I had accessories for the Jeep and firearms for examples. We didn't hide anything from each other and discussed any major purchases before making them. We didn't need to hide anything from the other or worry that if one of us spent a large sum of money on something that the other would find out sooner or later. This worked for us but YMMV.
Sponsored

Stephen

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Logistics
My wife watched the boxes of suspension, exterior protectors, and various accessories I bought off the forum grow. Unbeknownst to me she researched & bought me a dashcam for my birthday. When I opened the box completely surprised she laughed and said "if you have spent that much time & money on that truck, I know you'll be upset if someone hits you. The only condition to this gift is you have to install the parts sitting in boxes"

Not gonna lie, it made me happy but also feel bad for cluttering up the garage.

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
After filing for divorce my ex saw I had ordered forward controls for my bike. She ran to the judge saying I violated the domestic order (she was unemployed for 5 years at that point) the judge laughed at her and granted the divorce then and there. I looked at her and told her to get the hell out of my house immediately.
You er lucky you found a judge that was still asleep. Good deal ?

XL GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger STX
Occupation
Civil Engineering Firm
Nothing. Nothing I ever bought for my Ranger or my Mustang (sunk considerable coin on it) ever made her mad. We share our checking account and talk about our purchases first, if it's a good chunk of money. I don't ever have to beg or ask permission to buy something. I'm quite sure I've earned it. Now, rubbing her boobs or grabbing and smacking her a** when she's trying to cook is sometimes not a good idea. Well, in her mind anyway.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Everyone,

New here, been creeping for a few days. Looks like an entertaining spot, and have gotten some ideas for what to do to my truck.

I was just wondering if anyone had any fun stories on what they bought for their rig that made their other unhappy. Me... well, I bought the whole damn truck. I brought up that I wanted one (have a 98 ranger that is beat to death, and I missed a solid truck in my life), and my dad wanted to buy my VW. She didn't say no... so I took it as "sounds like a great idea." Next day, put the plan in motion. Two days later, picked up a 2020 ranger xlt fx4. I was, lets say, in the dog house. Took her and her kids camping the next weekend, and that seemed to get me out of it. She is on board now. Told her the seat covers I bought were to keep the seats clean from the kids. She has not noticed the Eibach box sitting in the garage yet. Lets see if I can get that on without her noticing. Playing with fire on this one.

What have you bought or done with your truck that made your other mad? Or what are you hiding?
The wife was not in favor of buying a Ranger in the first place because of all the "wasted storage space," as she called the bed (comparing it with our 2014 Explorer). Still, since she does not drive, and I happily provide chauffer service wherever she wants to go, she told me to get whatever I wanted. As for mods such as the Ford Performance tune and leveling kit, etc., I tell her about my plans and the cost in advance, and she has no problem with it. Smaller stuff like aftermarket lighting, she could care less, and I don't even mention it. And as time went by, 2019 to the present, she has come to appreciate that we can jam more stuff in the cabin + bed than our former Explorer could carry inside. She even started remarking that the Ranger had a lot more power than the Explorer and could really blow by dangerous idiots and semis on the freeway. And just yesterday, she was riding high in the Ranger and making denigrating remarks about all the "short and puny" cars around us....

EDIT: Forgot to mention that, now that the wife is a "truck girl," she is putting conditions on approving the next purchase: "You can get any truck you want, so long as it is blue!"

Last edited:

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
We've had a deal since we got married. Anything over $100 was to be be discussed. Of course through the first years if we had a $100 we would have been filthy rich. I mean, it was pay check to pay check living for awhile. Even after 44 years that deal still stands. But at our age now it's not about what we need, it's about what we want. I've never seen a hearse followed by an armored car. :)

Welcome to the forum Matt.

Last edited:

mgallo13

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MM Focus ST (sold), 2020 MM Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Financial Controller
Vehicle Showcase
better to ask forgiveness than permission
better to be single and build your truck THEN start dating :crackup:

she's 5"1' and has requested running boards already after 6 weeks :crackup:

mlarma

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x2
Occupation
Computers/Networks
Wife know I’m saving up points (and cash) to get the performance pack. Wouldn’t say anything I’ve bought has received the side eye but when a bunch came in when I first got the truck she was like WTH is this? More stuff? Nothing big though so not upset just more of a head shaking and “you’re such a fanboy for that truck”. Been called worse :LOL:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
With 78K+ miles you're never there. How is she supposed to know what you're doing. lol ?
...She laughs when I take 3 hours to pick up some parsley...they only grow in the mountain... ?

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
better to be single and build your truck THEN start dating :crackup:

she's 5"1' and has requested running boards already after 6 weeks :crackup:
I've been divorced twice so what do I know.

My buddy bought a 85K BMW M550i in Nov 2018. When his wife saw the lease payment was $1300 she wasn't happy. It snowed an he couldn't drive it, it came with summer performance tires so he ordered another $7K in winter tires and wheels. She was mad so he hired her a cleaning service to smooth it over an she's a stay at home wife with grown kids.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase