Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
My Dad owned a Dakota for a short time. I think it spent more time parked at the repair shop than it did at his home.
Mr D and I have talked about this before but I have always looked at the Dakota as the highlight of an otherwise shitty Chrysler lineup. Had 3 over the years that were long lasters. An 04, the newest of them, was not as good as the 2 older square styles. Funny how perceptions can differ.
Sponsored

Phil_R

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator / 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Occupation
Retired for now!
I picked up a 2022 RAM QuadCab LoneStar (level 1 package) V6 4x4 on Tuesday with a $9,000 discount. It came out to $22 (yes, $22) more than my Ranger MSRP and about $2500 more than my price would be after X-Plan and the PCO I received recently. The RAM stickered at $47k, and I picked it up for $38k with no adds-ons, mark-up, or hassle at all. It has far, far more features than I ordered, and I'm a tall guy so the extra room is very much appreciated. It also has 95% of what Ford removed for 2022 included... And a built in tailgate damper for y'all that are into that.

I will miss this forum, the interactions on here have been fun! Goodbye, and best of luck to all of you still waiting!

20220412_201204.jpg
That is a very nice RAM truck. I like the color and chrome. I had in the past driven a few and they are great trucks! I bet you will enjoy it a lot! If it has the V6 in it, you will be surprised on how much power it has. Good luck with the new truck and no need to be sorry because you still ended up with a great truck!!!

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
My son has a 2020 Ram 1500 Rebel. The Rebel is the Ram equivalent to a F150 Tremor. He has about 25k on it and it has been trouble free. The interior makes my Lariat look like a base interior. My only issue with the truck is the size, it is just to big.

Prior to the Ranger I had 3 Dodge Dakota they were great trucks. Two of the went well over 200,000 trouble free miles. The third one had 130k on it but it was 20 years old, ran great but was rusting away.

If Ram/Dodge still offered the Dakota I would likely be driving one instead of the Ranger.
My son in law is looking at the Rebel. He likes the Ranger but wants a larger truck.

949718.jpeg

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
As the gas prices go up the discounts will increase to move the inventory. Couple of guys I work with bought these in the last couple of years. Everyone of them has asked me how’s the mileage in your Ranger? That’s a definite tip-off to me they’re wincing on their decisions. Good luck with yours!

Carmell269

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Electric motor mechanic
Mr D and I have talked about this before but I have always looked at the Dakota as the highlight of an otherwise shitty Chrysler lineup. Had 3 over the years that were long lasters. An 04, the newest of them, was not as good as the 2 older square styles. Funny how perceptions can differ.
Yeah I’m not sure what year his was and it could be it was just a lemon. He really liked it other than not being able to drive it much.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Intitially he should be fine, after that it's anyone's guess. Love the prior post " He really liked it other than not being able to drive it much. " Reminds of the infamous Vietnam era quote "we had to destroy the village in order to save it "

1650125201542.png

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Intitially he should be fine, after that it's anyone's guess. Love the prior post " He really liked it other than not being able to drive it much. " Reminds of the infamous Vietnam era quote "we had to destroy the village in order to save it "

1650125201542.png
Vietnam was the beginning of the 'current road'..... :(

Reactions: Doc

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet

1650125201542.png
Interesting how Ram and Dodge can be at the top an Chrysler which shares all the major components can be dead last.

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Interesting how Ram and Dodge can be at the top an Chrysler which shares all the major components can be dead last.
I don't think these surveys are terribly reliable, much like political polls. My 2020 Chrysler 300s has been completely reliable/trouble free, no issues to date. The Chrysler 300 discussion boards pretty much state the same thing.

Some older cars that have been beaten by numerous owners are obvious. These 'owners'(?) will write in to the board looking for advice - they usually can't write and don't have a clue.

IMG_0994.JPG

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger SuperCrew XLT Tremor
The Dakota wasn't too bad until the final generation. For some reason those just weren't that great and looked too bloated for a mid sized pickup.

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
Maybe its expectation. Those buying Chrysler have higher expectations.

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger SuperCrew XLT Tremor
Maybe its expectation. Those buying Chrysler have higher expectations.
It probably has more to do with the fact that Chrysler is only 2 vehicles anymore. The 300 and the Pacifica minivan. They don't sell that many 300s anymore so if the minivan is having some issues that pretty much takes the whole brand down in the ratings.

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
It probably has more to do with the fact that Chrysler is only 2 vehicles anymore. The 300 and the Pacifica minivan. They don't sell that many 300s anymore so if the minivan is having some issues that pretty much takes the whole brand down in the ratings.
Good point. I forgot there aren't many Chrysler vehicles anymore.

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
The 2022 models are supposed to be the last year of the 300. Started loosing content/models for the 2021 model year. Sales collapsed for 2019 and are squeaking along so far this year. Most interesting is the Charger sales are still strong. :(

IMG_0991.JPG

bRaptor

First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT tremor
Initial quality = 1st 90 days fysa
Sponsored