Spotted a next-gen Tacoma? (Sorry, no pics)

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
On my way in to work this morning, I briefly shared the road with a pickup in heavy camo. Sorry, but I wasn't able to grab any pictures. It had Texas manufacturer's tags. Overall shape, especially the front end, had really strong Toyota vibes. Speaking of the front end, the camo was clearly wrapped around a massive grill, which just seems to be the direction that pickups in general are going. Overall size-wise it seemed like the truck could be a tad bigger than my Ranger.

I wonder what sort of testing brought them all the way up to West Virginia?
Sponsored

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
I bet it still has a 200 hp cast-iron V6 and a 4 speed trans Ha! jk I'm a proponent of Toyota as a whole but they got the wool pulled over folks eyes with the Taco.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
It's possible they were driving it from TX - WV just to see if it could make it. lol :shock:

It'll be interesting to see if they corrected all the things most complained about in the last Gen, especially the drivetrain.

OP
OP
jsphlynch

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
I'm hopeful that recent competition from the Ranger and others has been the kick in the pants that Toyota needed, and that the next gen Tacoma is a truly magnificent truck. I have zero plans to get one (I had my last Ranger for over 16 years, and I'd like to do the same with this one), but would love to see something that makes me change my mind and pushes the industry as a whole.

Wolfman00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 fx4
if they took the 2.7 and boosted it, it would be great. the 2.7 was a great engine.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
TFL also posted another video indicating the current Tacoma will carry over to 2023 with little changes. So the new version will apparently not be here until 2024.

OP
OP
jsphlynch

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
Looks like it could be what I saw. Interesting that he mentioned them seeming big, which was exactly my impression. My first though was that it was a Tundra, but it didn't seem quite bit enough for that plus they just did a redesign on the Tundra so it didn't make sense for them to have a camo'd prototype running around.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
It does look big from the video and I hope the mid size trucks don't become full size ones now. Around 2 years ago I heard rumors they were going to use a 4cy turbo in the next Gen Tacoma. It'll be funny because when the Ranger came back in 2019 I remember everyone on Tacoma World laughing about it being a 2.3 4cyl turbo. Bet the fanboys will be backtracking trying to justify it now if the Tacoma really does have one. lol

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
Would be funny if Toyota threw a wrench in things and brought the T100 back to slot in between the Tacoma and Tundra. Is there room in the market for it? Who knows but pickups sell.

If they go bigger it’s going to be a mistake. Pickups are getting to big in the mid sized segment.

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
I think the Ranger is the right size. But seems all the trucks are getting bigger.

Figarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Edge ST, 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
On my way in to work this morning, I briefly shared the road with a pickup in heavy camo. Sorry, but I wasn't able to grab any pictures. It had Texas manufacturer's tags. Overall shape, especially the front end, had really strong Toyota vibes. Speaking of the front end, the camo was clearly wrapped around a massive grill, which just seems to be the direction that pickups in general are going. Overall size-wise it seemed like the truck could be a tad bigger than my Ranger.

I wonder what sort of testing brought them all the way up to West Virginia?

Did it look something like this? It has Texas plates.

https://www.tacoma4g.com/forum/threads/next-gen-toyota-tacoma-mules-caught-testing.1216/

remtv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT , 2001 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Engineer, Student
I hope everyone comes out with a nice full featured mid size truck that doesn't cost 40k+ for a mid level trim.

One of the reasons I didn't put much thought into an taco last year was my local dealerships offering me 2wd sr5s with no locker at 37k before fees.

As it stands it seems every midsize truck is a bag of compromises.