Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
588606E1-BD60-4954-ACA3-DD66F35F4A5C.jpeg

This GC followed us on the hells revenge trail all the way to the end when we were in Moab for a jamboree. He pumped up the air suspension to the highest setting and had the time of his life.
Sponsored

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand ?

Jeep makes some very highly rated SUVs, but they seem to frequently start having issues around the time the warranty runs out.

One of my co-workers leases a new GC every 3 years so he never runs into any serious issues and has nothing but praise for them.

Well..it appears that there are a LOT of people on this forum that feel the same way about the Ranger. Just look at the number of people who claim they are buying extended warranties. Some have paid over $2k for them. The only time you buy the extended warranty is when you do not trust reliability.

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
588606E1-BD60-4954-ACA3-DD66F35F4A5C.jpeg

This GC followed us on the hells revenge trail all the way to the end when we were in Moab for a jamboree. He pumped up the air suspension to the highest setting and had the time of his life.
Not all that impressive, a Kia Sorrento can do that. (smirk, smirk)

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
Not all that impressive, a Kia Sorrento can do that. (smirk, smirk)
How cute a video clip of one obstacle. Hells revenge is an all day 8+ hr trail. Pull up the videos of a old dude driving a crown Vic in Moab, that’s a good one.

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
How cute a video clip of one obstacle. Hells revenge is an all day 8+ hr trail. Pull up the videos of a old dude driving a crown Vic in Moab, that’s a good one.
Thanks, now I'll have to look! You're right though, many outback tracks here were done in 2WD sedans in the 50's and 60's before 4x4 were widely available ( and considered essential) of course cars were simpler and sturdier then. It's not what you've got but how well you use !

Ronbo

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4+
Occupation
Retired LEO Sgt., USAF & USA Veteran.
Vehicle Showcase

Jeep makes some very highly rated SUVs, but they seem to frequently start having issues around the time the warranty runs out.

One of my co-workers leases a new GC every 3 years so he never runs into any serious issues and has nothing but praise for them.

A Jeep, well at least the Wrangler anyway, is a bit of a lifestyle statement as well as transportation.

Currently owning a Jeep from the Daimler era (2004 Grand Cherokee) and having owned a 1979 CJ7 (should've kept it) and a 2017 Wrangler (glad to see it gone), a Jeep is a fun vehicle.

A Wrangler is like dating a hot psycho girl: Great to look at, great to be seen with, fun to be with, but a PITA to actually live with.

Some people are willing to put up with the "quirks" and will defend to the death that they are a perfectly acceptable for a vehicle that spends 98% of its time on pavement. Just don't compare MPG, ride quality, noise, or water sealing (my hardtop always leaked).

I discovered that I wasn't a Wrangler person. I like my near 20 year old GC better than I ever like my Wrangler. It's more capable (Quadradrive that is perfectly functioning. Gerotors in the front and rear axles) than any stock Wrangler other than a Rubicon, and far more comfortable and practical. The same trails that My Wrangler (Big Bear with 3.73 gears, 265/70/17 tires, and rear L/S) used to work at, my GC simply walks through them, though I did have to install a slight lift to clear the 265/70/17 tires.

Whew, long winded post. If you made it this far, let me close with this.

I decided I was going to build myself a V8 overlanding SUV and had narrowed my choices down to a V8 4Runner (2006 -2009) or a Lexus GX470 from the same era based on all the raves on Expedition Portal.

Many were waxing poetic about the power from the Toyota V8. So I drove one and my first response was "Where's the power I was expecting? Maybe it's just this one?". So I drove a few more (8 total, 4 of each) and they were all the same. So I expanded my net to include the WJ Grand Cherokee with solid axles front and rear, specifically only the 2003 and 2004 models since most of the "quirks" were worked out by then.

The standard 4.7 V8 felt about like the Toyota, it was OK but not that impressive. Then I drove one with the 4.7 HO and THAT was what I was looking for. My search narrowed to an Overland from those 2 years until I found the one I have.

I have no doubt that one of the Toyotas would be more reliable. I also have no doubt that my Overland is much more FUN to drive. I've spent a lot of time and $$ getting mine to where it is both a great DD and an impressive off roader.

So, it's a Jeep thing, and I do understand.
Here is my 1980 CJ7 hardtop. Renegade Package. Wish I’d kept her too. But I did keep the 1960’s model that’s on my arm. ?
2311B262-7545-4F8A-BB43-B026DB48102F.jpeg

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

A Jeep, well at least the Wrangler anyway, is a bit of a lifestyle statement as well as transportation.

Currently owning a Jeep from the Daimler era (2004 Grand Cherokee) and having owned a 1979 CJ7 (should've kept it) and a 2017 Wrangler (glad to see it gone), a Jeep is a fun vehicle.

A Wrangler is like dating a hot psycho girl: Great to look at, great to be seen with, fun to be with, but a PITA to actually live with.

Some people are willing to put up with the "quirks" and will defend to the death that they are a perfectly acceptable for a vehicle that spends 98% of its time on pavement. Just don't compare MPG, ride quality, noise, or water sealing (my hardtop always leaked).

I discovered that I wasn't a Wrangler person. I like my near 20 year old GC better than I ever like my Wrangler. It's more capable (Quadradrive that is perfectly functioning. Gerotors in the front and rear axles) than any stock Wrangler other than a Rubicon, and far more comfortable and practical. The same trails that My Wrangler (Big Bear with 3.73 gears, 265/70/17 tires, and rear L/S) used to work at, my GC simply walks through them, though I did have to install a slight lift to clear the 265/70/17 tires.

Whew, long winded post. If you made it this far, let me close with this.

I decided I was going to build myself a V8 overlanding SUV and had narrowed my choices down to a V8 4Runner (2006 -2009) or a Lexus GX470 from the same era based on all the raves on Expedition Portal.

Many were waxing poetic about the power from the Toyota V8. So I drove one and my first response was "Where's the power I was expecting? Maybe it's just this one?". So I drove a few more (8 total, 4 of each) and they were all the same. So I expanded my net to include the WJ Grand Cherokee with solid axles front and rear, specifically only the 2003 and 2004 models since most of the "quirks" were worked out by then.

The standard 4.7 V8 felt about like the Toyota, it was OK but not that impressive. Then I drove one with the 4.7 HO and THAT was what I was looking for. My search narrowed to an Overland from those 2 years until I found the one I have.

I have no doubt that one of the Toyotas would be more reliable. I also have no doubt that my Overland is much more FUN to drive. I've spent a lot of time and $$ getting mine to where it is both a great DD and an impressive off roader.

So, it's a Jeep thing, and I do understand.
That's a great post Dennis and I love that comparison to dating a hot psycho girl! Been there and done that, unfortunately!
And actually, I can understand. There are other things in life we can compare to the jeep thing that makes some of us understand.
I know I've never been one to knock them. My first car was almost a 1980 jeep but I couldn't pull the financing off. I often wonder if I'd have been a jeep guy had I gotten that first jeep. And it's guys like you, if I had hung around with, would probably had converted me into a jeep owner.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
While I'm waxing poetic about Jeeps, I'll quickly post this little list of things I've had to do to my well maintained GC (good maintenance records and zero sludge when I pulled the valve covers). Copied from a spreadsheet so formatting is wonky.

Herein lies the Just Empty Every Pocket aspect of the used Jeep, a boat on tires. I did all of this myself so these costs would be at least double if I had to pay someone to do them.

Oil/Filter $25 102k/104k/107k
Bosch AGM battery $200 102k
Gas struts Hood/Hatch/rear Glass $40 102k
New Fog Lamps $52 102k
Repaired door wiring $20 102k
Kenwood Head unit/SWC $500 102k
Subwoofer $150 102k
Backup Camera $50 102k
PCV valve $10 102k
Steering stabilizer $50 103k
2” Bumpstop extensions $20 103k
Sparkplugs $30 103k
Fuel Filter/Regulator $30 103k
Air Filter Wix 42190 $25 103k
Valve Cover Gaskets (Fel Pro VS 50521 R) $45 103k
Kolak 3” Exhaust $400 103k
Oil Pressure Sensor $25 103k
Wheels/Tires $800 103k
Coil Spring Isolators $100 104k
2” BDS Suspension Springs $200 104k
ES9000 Shocks $200 104k
JKS Adjustable Track bar $200 104k
Front/Rear Diff Oil $60 104k
Transfer case fluid $50 104k
Brake fluid flush $20 105k
Flashpaq F5 $200 105k
Transmission Torque Management $0 105k
Roof Rack Rola 59504 $200 105k
Front Brakes (pads and rotors) $100 105k
Brake fluid flush $20 105k
Starter $100 106k
Replaced Headlights $120 106k
Cleaned IAT sensor $0 106k
Breather tubes #53031667AC $30 107k
TransGo 45RFE-HD2 Shift kit $65 107k
Transmission fluid ATF+4 7.5 qts $60 107k
Transmission filters Wix Kit #58843 $30 107k
Transmission pan w/drain plug $45 107k
Hayden external transmission cooler $60 107k
Water pump/radiator hoses/power steering flush $100 107k
Aluminum radiator/coolant flush $250 107k
Rear brake calipers/pads $200 107k
Old Man Emu OMEWJPF10 10mm spacers $30 108k
Addco 684 1” rear swaybar $200 110k
Upgrading transfer case from a 247 to a 242HD in progress. This will improve MPG as well as few other things.

After all this it's a solid DD that I wouldn't (and don't) hesitate to take anywhere. I drive it more than my Ranger for local knocking around but take the Ranger for longer trips (MPG and quieter, but then I do love that V8 punch and growl). A good friend of mine just told me the other day "I don't understand you, man. You have a new Ford truck but every time I see you you're driving an old Jeep." It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

So I love Jeeps, at least pre-FCA Jeeps. Someday I may end up with another Wrangler but it will be a TJ. No JK or JL for me.

My Wrangler Big Bear

20170526_185629.jpg

And my WJ on a recent trail ride, with a Ranger group no less (they permitted me to bring the outlier)

WJ Trail.jpg

Last edited:

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Here is my 1980 CJ7 hardtop. Renegade Package. Wish I’d kept her too. But I did keep the 1960’s model that’s on my arm. ?
2311B262-7545-4F8A-BB43-B026DB48102F.jpeg
You mean the watch ??? :crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

SegFault

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Industrial Sanitation Engineer, Cloud DevOps
Vehicle Showcase
Had a jeep. It was great, after I replaced every stock suspension component. The Jeep was biggest money pit I ever had. Maybe they were better back in the day before FCA/Stellantis
So did I. And it was great for the same reasons, the only thing I had left stock was the 4.0L engine and the roll bar padding. Oh, and the carpet. The trouble is that once you build a jeep for nothing but trail use, it begins to suck in new and intesting ways as a daily driver. And then one day, you end up on a trail that's just a *bit* meaner than your build and realize that you're going to end up spending a lot of money, again, to redo what you've already spent a lot of money on. And if you do, you're going to need a truck to start trailering your jeep to and from the trails..

Last edited:

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
So did I. And it was great for the same reasons, the only thing I had left stock was the 4.0L engine and the roll bar padding. Oh, and the carpet. The trouble is that once you build a jeep for nothing but trail use, it begins to suck in new and intesting ways as a daily driver. And then one day, you end up on a trail that's just a *bit* meaner than your build and realize that you you're going to end up spending a lot of money, again, to redo what you've already spent a lot of money on. And if you do, you're going to need a truck to start trailering your jeep to and from the trails..
People underestimate how far you can go with a stock Jeep, and most often spend tons of money on mods for very little gain in capability, and even less gain (most often, a loss) in durability. I’m certain that the same can be said about our Rangers. It’s good to know when to get out and walk.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
With Ford's new allocation numbers for the Bronco in'22 the CEO of Jeep just fell out of his chair laughing. Ford, with it's propensity to kiss the asses of the big dealers, has screwed the smaller home town dealers in favor of the bigs ones. in doing that they have also screwed a lot of their loyal, and brand new customers. The CEo of Jeep should prepare to up production at his plants. There has been a ton of cancelations already.

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
So did I. And it was great for the same reasons, the only thing I had left stock was the 4.0L engine and the roll bar padding. Oh, and the carpet. The trouble is that once you build a jeep for nothing but trail use, it begins to suck in new and intesting ways as a daily driver. And then one day, you end up on a trail that's just a *bit* meaner than your build and realize that you you're going to end up spending a lot of money, again, to redo what you've already spent a lot of money on. And if you do, you're going to need a truck to start trailering your jeep to and from the trails..
Ah yes but that 4 litre engine is a gem of sturdiness and durability! I read a story (may be true, sounds not unlikely) The reason that engine and the 265 it is derived from are so good dates back to the early 1960's when American motors wanted to realease an economy version of their sedan with a I6, the engineers were told to make it thick and sturdy so it had a similar ball park weight to the V8, and that meant they wouldn't have to build two different front suspension specs. When Chrysler took over AM they looked at that engine, kept it on, and changed very little.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Ah yes but that 4 litre engine is a gem of sturdiness and durability!
As long as you avoid the 1999-2002 models of the engine where cylinder heads cracking and piston skirt failure are pretty common.

Chrysler saw that they could save money by using cheaper components, and of course they leaped on the opportunity.

They usually did last through the warranty period though.

SegFault

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Industrial Sanitation Engineer, Cloud DevOps
Vehicle Showcase