Why The President Of Jeep ‘Feels Sorry’ For Ford

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I wonder how far up that hill the Jeep would get when their clutches can do this.

This is a new Gladiator BTW...

_nc_ohc=UDtq5lQ2eT0AX8_POQy&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=2j_RHb0o8I0AX-Q5Hp-&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

I'm sure it will be blamed on the oversize tires.

Especially since, you know, no one ever puts bigger tires on their Jeep.

I'll edit this when I get more details of what happened.
Sponsored

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
This attitude just reassured my feeling that the Gladiator is very close to the ugliest vehicle on the road. Lol.

And as a motorcyclist for 30 years I kinda get annoyed that keep people wave at each other. That’s our thing! ??

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Ha Ha, Jeep roofs made by the exact same manufacturer don't leak of course. Perhaps Wrangler roofs will be better after Ford fix their QC problems.

I was a member of the Jeep club over here for quite a few years even though I drove a Bronco. They were admittedly pretty good off road, but were never the most reliable of cars, with a few breaking down every trip. ( My I6 Bronco NEVER broke down on any trips despite racking up more than 500,000 Km towards the end)
The 265 / 245 sixes were pretty bulletproof with old skool diesel like reliability, but the 360 V8's were a crappy, fragile, V8, prone to overheating, blowing head gaskets, and cracking pistons if pushed hard. And I wouldn't own a current a VM 3.0 V6 diesel model if you paid me.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
I know the Jeeps have their market and followers, but I've been very impressed with their products.

Oops... I meant I've NEVER been impressed with their stuff. doh!
I thought the Fiat 500 was a cool-looking little car, we had one for a rental when my wife's (Chrysler :LOL:) minivan was in the body shop after hitting a deer, but apparently the quality was so horrible that a lot of the dealers closed up. There are none left in my part of the state.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Won't lie, the jab at the bronco's leaky roof's made me chuckle a little.

I welcome this. Love it when big corp competitors take shots at one another.
Same here Jake. Being one of those that ordered the Bronco with a hard top I think he was spot on, funny, but spot on. After the Bronco air bag recall I mentioned on the Bronco 6g forum that the employees at Jeep are probably laughing their asses off. That roll out has been nothing but one problem after another.

And I know it's easy for some too put down the Jeep, Lord knows they have had their problems. But I will say my JL has been nothing but fun to drive with no problems up to this point (20K miles). However, I've said this on the Bronco forum many times. It's the Bronco that will have to proves itself in the real world, not the Jeep. When, and if this fiasco we call the Bronco ever gets into the market we'll actually see if it can live up to all of the hype. I may be a while though, i.e. I reserved mine in October '20, and ordered on May 3rd, '21. At first I thought it would be around late summer/early fall of '22 before I saw it in the driveway. But, now with Ford's convoluted allocation system favoring the big dealers I may get the dreaded "Oh, your's won't show up until '23" email. The crap that has happened during this rollout has been quite frustrating.

Last edited:

Markubis

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT, Volkswagon Tiguan, Can Am Ryker
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Sounds more like the ramblings of someone who is worried to me.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Had a jeep. It was great, after I replaced every stock suspension component. The Jeep was biggest money pit I ever had. Maybe they were better back in the day before FCA/Stellantis
My daughter always liked Jeeps since she was little so about 12 years ago I got her a '97 TJ Wrangler for her first car. It was in amazingly original condition but there is truth to the axiom that Jeep stands for Just Empty Every Pocket.

Lauren_Jeep_1.jpg

Last edited:

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Consumer Reports gives the Cherokee an overall score of 40-47 and a “poor” reliability rating. CR found it to be solid and quiet, and gave high marks to its infotainment system, V6 towing capacity and off-road abilities; however, it criticized the standard four-cylinder engine, nine-speed automatic transmission, entry/exiting, cargo space, front-seat comfort, and forward visibility. It scored below average in the JD Power Initial Quality study and is expected to hold onto just 45% of its original value after three years and 33% after five years.

I only got through a few of these but there sure are a lot of Dodges and jeeps in there. The only Fords I saw were the fiesta and the focus. But I didn't get to the end but my goodness what a bunch of jeeps and Dodges in there. And it shows a JD power ratings on these vehicles and I trust JD power a whole lot more then _________ fill in the blank.

https://www3.forbes.com/business/32-new-cars-to-avoid-ifs-3-nb/?slide=19
FWIW, my wife has a 2021 Jeep Cherokee. I can only wish that the 10 speed in my Ranger was a smooth and flawless as the 9 speed in the Cherokee. The tranny is always in the right gear and consistently shifts smoothly. Also, the same 9 speed is used in the Honda Pilot, Ridgeline, Acura MDX, Land Rover Evoque and Jaguar E Pace.

I would agree the 2.4 is not the best choice of the three engines available, it is better suited for the smaller Compass and Renegade. My wife's has the 3.2 liter V6 and it has the same power as the 2.3 Ecoboost and pushes the Cherokee right along smartly. The 2.0 turbo that is also available gets nothing but praise.

I find the CR and JD Powers skews peoples impressions by presenting the data in a way that makes you think there is a bigger difference between vehicles. I take what they have to say with a grain of salt.

I have seen those articles listing vehicles to stay away from. As far as I am concerned the authors have a preconceived list of vehicles then go looking for things to justify there list. The last one I saw the very first vehicle on the list was the Ford Escape. It was blasted for not having all the latest technology but they were talking about the bottom of the line S model.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
The entire Bronco roll out has been a dismal failure on so many levels. Starting back with the delays on the B&P release from their so called “rock stars”. Then when it came out there were so many issues with trying to build your ride.

Then delays to what the cut off number on your reservation as to what M.Y. Bronco you would actually get. Then it was make the Broncos but keep 8000 of them on the dirt mountain because the roofs have quality issues.

Ford then started handing out hammock and sticker packs telling reservation holders to “hang in there”. Now they are giving out $1000 to holders for the drama they are going thru.

Jeep CEO shouldn’t talk smack, Ford is shooting their own feet all by themselves. It’s disgusting what hard working future Bronco prospective owners are going they. Just spend a little time on bronco6g and you can read way too many unhappy threads about delays.

Then there is the whole “Ford will (NOT) penalize dealers that add an ADM to the price tag on delivery of the reservation Bronco”. Most reservation holders believed they would only have to pay MSRP only to face big ADM price tags after waiting way too long for their dream ride.
I know you meant to put the "not" in there Joe. I fixed it for you. I'm one of those that ordered from a small home town dealer, and just got that beat down. That one really pissed me off when I read the '22 allocation formula from Ford.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
From the guy whose parent company is "Fix It Again Tony!"

Let he who is without recalls cast the first lug nut.

Jeep is far from the paragon of quality. The only thing they have going for them is the name.
And the Bronco comes from the "Found On Road Dead" or "Fix Or Repair Daily" company.

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
FWIW, my wife has a 2021 Jeep Cherokee. I can only wish that the 10 speed in my Ranger was a smooth and flawless as the 9 speed in the Cherokee. The tranny is always in the right gear and consistently shifts smoothly. Also, the same 9 speed is used in the Honda Pilot, Ridgeline, Acura MDX, Land Rover Evoque and Jaguar E Pace.

I would agree the 2.4 is not the best choice of the three engines available, it is better suited for the smaller Compass and Renegade. My wife's has the 3.2 liter V6 and it has the same power as the 2.3 Ecoboost and pushes the Cherokee right along smartly. The 2.0 turbo that is also available gets nothing but praise.

I find the CR and JD Powers skews peoples impressions by presenting the data in a way that makes you think there is a bigger difference between vehicles. I take what they have to say with a grain of salt.

I have seen those articles listing vehicles to stay away from. As far as I am concerned the authors have a preconceived list of vehicles then go looking for things to justify there list. The last one I saw the very first vehicle on the list was the Ford Escape. It was blasted for not having all the latest technology but they were talking about the bottom of the line S model.
Thanks Dave. It's always great to get another perspective on articles like this. And the information on the nine speed tranny being the same on all those different vehicles is really nice to know. So glad your wife has had a great experience with hers.
I often wonder that if the vehicles are so dang terrible, how they could still produce those vehicles year after year after year and keep their faithful buyers as repeat buyers and new buyers that knew someone that was very happy with theirs.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Thanks Dave. It's always great to get another perspective on articles like this. And the information on the nine speed tranny being the same on all those different vehicles is really nice to know. So glad your wife has had a great experience with hers.
I often wonder that if the vehicles are so dang terrible, how they could still produce those vehicles year after year after year and keep their faithful buyers as repeat buyers and new buyers that knew someone that was very happy with theirs.
I had a 2017 Pilot Limited for about 18 months. I thought the 9-speed automatic was, hands-down, the worst feature of the car. It’s possible that car companies could be able to tune the transmission to fit their driveability goals. If so, the poor performance could be limited to Honda. I would never buy another one without an extended test drive.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand ?

Jeep makes some very highly rated SUVs, but they seem to frequently start having issues around the time the warranty runs out.

One of my co-workers leases a new GC every 3 years so he never runs into any serious issues and has nothing but praise for them.

A Jeep, well at least the Wrangler anyway, is a bit of a lifestyle statement as well as transportation.

Currently owning a Jeep from the Daimler era (2004 Grand Cherokee) and having owned a 1979 CJ7 (should've kept it) and a 2017 Wrangler (glad to see it gone), a Jeep is a fun vehicle.

A Wrangler is like dating a hot psycho girl: Great to look at, great to be seen with, fun to be with, but a PITA to actually live with.

Some people are willing to put up with the "quirks" and will defend to the death that they are a perfectly acceptable for a vehicle that spends 98% of its time on pavement. Just don't compare MPG, ride quality, noise, or water sealing (my hardtop always leaked).

I discovered that I wasn't a Wrangler person. I like my near 20 year old GC better than I ever like my Wrangler. It's more capable (Quadradrive that is perfectly functioning. Gerotors in the front and rear axles) than any stock Wrangler other than a Rubicon, and far more comfortable and practical. The same trails that My Wrangler (Big Bear with 3.73 gears, 265/70/17 tires, and rear L/S) used to work at, my GC simply walks through them, though I did have to install a slight lift to clear the 265/70/17 tires.

Whew, long winded post. If you made it this far, let me close with this.

I decided I was going to build myself a V8 overlanding SUV and had narrowed my choices down to a V8 4Runner (2006 -2009) or a Lexus GX470 from the same era based on all the raves on Expedition Portal.

Many were waxing poetic about the power from the Toyota V8. So I drove one and my first response was "Where's the power I was expecting? Maybe it's just this one?". So I drove a few more (8 total, 4 of each) and they were all the same. So I expanded my net to include the WJ Grand Cherokee with solid axles front and rear, specifically only the 2003 and 2004 models since most of the "quirks" were worked out by then.

The standard 4.7 V8 felt about like the Toyota, it was OK but not that impressive. Then I drove one with the 4.7 HO and THAT was what I was looking for. My search narrowed to an Overland from those 2 years until I found the one I have.

I have no doubt that one of the Toyotas would be more reliable. I also have no doubt that my Overland is much more FUN to drive. I've spent a lot of time and $$ getting mine to where it is both a great DD and an impressive off roader.

So, it's a Jeep thing, and I do understand.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand ?

Jeep makes some very highly rated SUVs, but they seem to frequently start having issues around the time the warranty runs out.

One of my co-workers leases a new GC every 3 years so he never runs into any serious issues and has nothing but praise for them.

A Jeep, well at least the Wrangler anyway, is a bit of a lifestyle statement as well as transportation.

Currently owning a Jeep from the Daimler era (2004 Grand Cherokee) and having owned a 1979 CJ7 (should've kept it) and a 2017 Wrangler (glad to see it gone), a Jeep is a fun vehicle.

A Wrangler is like dating a hot psycho girl: Great to look at, great to be seen with, fun to be with, but a PITA to actually live with.

Some people are willing to put up with the "quirks" and will defend to the death that they are a perfectly acceptable for a vehicle that spends 98% of its time on pavement. Just don't compare MPG, ride quality, noise, or water sealing (my hardtop always leaked).

I discovered that I wasn't a Wrangler person. I like my near 20 year old GC better than I ever like my Wrangler. It's more capable (Quadradrive that is perfectly functioning. Gerotors in the front and rear axles) than any stock Wrangler other than a Rubicon, and far more comfortable and practical. The same trails that My Wrangler (Big Bear with 3.73 gears, 265/70/17 tires, and rear L/S) used to work at, my GC simply walks through them, though I did have to install a slight lift to clear the 265/70/17 tires.

Whew, long winded post. If you made it this far, let me close with this.

I decided I was going to build myself a V8 overlanding SUV and had narrowed my choices down to a V8 4Runner (2006 -2009) or a Lexus GX470 from the same era based on all the raves on Expedition Portal.

Many were waxing poetic about the power from the Toyota V8. So I drove one and my first response was "Where's the power I was expecting? Maybe it's just this one?". So I drove a few more (8 total, 4 of each) and they were all the same. So I expanded my net to include the WJ Grand Cherokee with solid axles front and rear, specifically only the 2003 and 2004 models since most of the "quirks" were worked out by then.

The standard 4.7 V8 felt about like the Toyota, it was OK but not that impressive. Then I drove one with the 4.7 HO and THAT was what I was looking for. My search narrowed to an Overland from those 2 years until I found the one I have.

I have no doubt that one of the Toyotas would be more reliable. I also have no doubt that my Overland is much more FUN to drive. I've spent a lot of time and $$ getting mine to where it is both a great DD and an impressive off roader.

So, it's a Jeep thing, and I do understand.
A large part of it, IMO, is that anguish over reliability issues and performance shortcomings fades over time, leaving only memories of the fun. I had lots of fun with mine, and the great memories of off-road adventure with my kids are priceless. It is definitely a Jeep thing.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
And the Bronco comes from the "Found On Road Dead" or "Fix Or Repair Daily" company.
First On Race Day!
Sponsored