Weatherstripping (first minor issue)

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Desert sand/grit tears them up, and the heat degrades them quickly. I haven’t looked for it in a long time, but there used to be a squirt-tube of repair goo for this at the auto parts stores. Probably 3M, maybe also Permatex/Loctite. For a quick fix, bandage tape works pretty well.
Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
took my Ranger in for the 10000 mile service & had the dealer look at the door seal. they ordered a new seal but for the life of me I cannot understand why the seal tore open. it does flex easily & feels very soft.

door seal 1.JPG

door seal 2.JPG
Just noticed some tears on my drivers side similar to yours. Can't for the life of me figure out how I would've done that. I'll be taking it in to the dealership soon.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Just noticed some tears on my drivers side similar to yours. Can't for the life of me figure out how I would've done that. I'll be taking it in to the dealership soon.
Here's mine.

20211129_194100.jpg

tshrop

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Hey,

So I was running some errands this morning and was getting in the truck at the bank and noticed this rather noticeable hole in the weatherstripping on the bottom of the driver door.

Would this be covered under warranty?
Have had my truck for just over a year now, only have 9,300 miles.

My experience with these is after the first hole/tear it falls apart rather quickly. I have been hearing new wind noise lately.. don’t know if this the cause.

Also; Don’t know if anyone can see it, there is a small indent in the stripping at the bottom of the pic. On the truck there’s an identical one a couple inches farther back. Does anyone else have these? They’ve been there a while and I don’t know what’s caused them.

Thanks in advance everyone.

D3804CE0-186D-41B1-9FC9-A6F07C1B544A.jpeg
I had a similar tear on the driver pillar (See photo)
FC939BC6-B79B-461B-950A-E70004C69A7E.jpeg

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
Damn, now I gotta go look at mine. It's so dry here in Vegas that all plastics dry out quickly. Wouldn't be surprised if mine are cracked also.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
That weatherstripping is VERY thin. I got a tear in the rear door on mine from my dog jumping in and out of the truck. I've learned to live with it though....

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Damn, now I gotta go look at mine. It's so dry here in Vegas that all plastics dry out quickly. Wouldn't be surprised if mine are cracked also.
Steve, try using some 303 Aerospace Protectant on the rubber and plastic. We both have similar weather (hot and dry) and it's helped mine keep from cracking. It's great for the dash and all int/ext plastic. They are very thin so it won't help against tears but I hit mine about 3-4 times a year and they're still in good condition.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JG3OIF...colid=18AQHC875EVXC&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
Steve, try using some 303 Aerospace Protectant on the rubber and plastic. We both have similar weather (hot and dry) and it's helped mine keep from cracking. It's great for the dash and all int/ext plastic. They are very thin so it won't help against tears but I hit mine about 3-4 times a year and they're still in good condition.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JG3OIF...colid=18AQHC875EVXC&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1
Good idea. I actually have that 303 stuff, but mine is the blue bottle. What's the differenc between these two?

This is the one I have: https://www.amazon.com/303-30382-Pr...=automotive&sprefix=303,automotive,183&sr=1-4

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Looks like you guys are dragging your feet or back when getting in/out causing the wear
How do explain the one I pictured above?

Am I dragging my head accross it?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
There's actually no difference. The one you have is just labeled for automotive but they do the exact same thing.
OK cool. I love this stuff. I use it on my interior, tonneau cover, and BBQ grill cover.

mailbox4449

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure yet
I had a similar tear on the driver pillar (See photo)
FC939BC6-B79B-461B-950A-E70004C69A7E.jpeg
This looks like simple wear and tear. You can plainly see the wearing below and upward from the hole. Even further in the white/gray mark shows something is constantly rubbing the opening??? Just my observation ?

JDowns

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
That weatherstripping is VERY thin. I got a tear in the rear door on mine from my dog jumping in and out of the truck. I've learned to live with it though....

Yes the weather stripping on this vehicle is very thin, soft, and rips easily. Mine came from the dealer with some sort of goop on all the stripping as if they used a mixture of grease and Armor All. Took forever to scrub off and coat with 303 Protectant.

First day the pup jumped in he tore the left rear passenger bottom. I ended up cutting a partial section out to stop it from tearing further so it won't spread and look unsightly. With the pup in and out its just something I have to live with on that door.

mailbox4449

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure yet

Simple Silicone spray will also work in a pinch. Been applying that stuff for years on our vehicles. Sunroof seals, trunk, and doors. Depending on the material, the window seals too.
As stated above, it helps keep the seals pliable and prevent drying/cracking.

As for these tears I've seen thus far, looks like many are from just everyday use of getting in and out of the vehicles. All it takes is one good snag to tear it good. I used to detail vehicles and saw this on a daily basis. Most people don't care about their vehicles and scuff the heck outta the door sill/ jamb areas. Painted areas get dented and scuffed from heels. Our overweight society can't get into (or out of) most vehicles without grabbing/ scratching/ or man handling the vehicle for assistance. I guarantee that most here have dragged there shoes/boots/ sandals/ crocs:crackup: /uncut toenail bare feet across their vehicles at some point. Yes, its a truck, but the plastic and trim is super cheaply made. Honestly, if its THAT easy for you to rip/tear it, you may want to invest in some better quality seals and install yourself. Might be better than a new set of LED lights to light up the exhaust pipe or whatever these kids are doing today:giggle:. Just my two cents.
Sponsored