Minor hood shudder

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Sport Lariat 2WD Plat. White
I noticed yesterday on a trip back from Louisiana to Dallas I had some hood shudder...I was prob going 85mph and about a 10mph crosswind. Nothing even close to what I had on my Colorado, that would shudder at 60mph and was scary.

I don't really consider it an issue, just noting it exists and only at speeds I shouldn't have been going.
Sponsored

MINI Ranger

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2014 MINI Cooper S Clubman
Occupation
ASE Master Technician, MINI Technician, Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Have they fixed that freeway in Louisana yet?
Last time I was traveling on I 20, it was so rough your teeth would shudder in your head!
Do you actually see the hood moving while driving?

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have they fixed that freeway in Louisana yet?
Last time I was traveling on I 20, it was so rough your teeth would shudder in your head!
Do you actually see the hood moving while driving?
Fixed.....hmmm...lol. I was on I-30 which is better but not a fan of either.

I only saw it moving at the highest speeds and a crosswind, otherwise, I've better impressed how you never see it move. Given its aluminium I'm very impressed.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Be glad you don't have a 3rd Gen Tacoma. My hood detached from the frame as did many others. The glue they use on the hood is terrible. You should see those hoods really fluttering. We also get some sound proof material under the hood.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Be glad you don't have a 3rd Gen Tacoma. My hood detached from the frame as did many others. The glue they use on the hood is terrible. You should see those hoods really fluttering. We also get some sound proof material under the hood.
Glue?????

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My F150 hood moved around alot in wind. You could see it the most when driving behind a truck that disrupted the airflow alot.
its not preloaded or supported enough, but thats the tradeoff for weight savings these days. thinner and less material wins the race for fuel economy.
Hi,

Thinner material for aluminum? The mil spec is much thicker and much more ding resistant.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Company Retired

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Wow. Did not know that.

Add the plastic bed and rear drum brakes.......I am shocked how many the sell.
They sell on past reliability, after having a 3rd Gen I have to say it was the worst Tacoma I ever owned. Now it's become trendy among the man bun plaid shirt wearing bearded guys. the 3rd gen Tacoma has become like Harley. A Lifestyle more than a great truck. and that plastic bed......Needs stiffeners if ya gonna carry anything heavy...They make stiffeners for the Tacoma bed. Imagine that...

Last edited:

DrSafety

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Electric Blue
Vehicle Showcase
@Gray Horizons Helicopter I think Phil was referring to the thickness of the material in mils (.001 inches) not Military spec. It is thicker than the steel but not stiffer as you have pointed out. I was washing the Ranger and placed my hand on the hood while reaching with the other (I thought close enough to the edge) and the hood collapse under my hand and scared the crap out of me. It popped right back but I have been much more careful since that incident.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was washing the Ranger and placed my hand on the hood while reaching with the other (I thought close enough to the edge) and the hood collapse under my hand and scared the crap out of me. It popped right back but I have been much more careful since that incident.
Yeah, same w/doors... not as bad but doesn't take much to push them in... just the way things are these days.. if it was 1960's steel it would get 9mpg...

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
@Gray Horizons Helicopter I think Phil was referring to the thickness of the material in mils (.001 inches) not Military spec. It is thicker than the steel but not stiffer as you have pointed out. I was washing the Ranger and placed my hand on the hood while reaching with the other (I thought close enough to the edge) and the hood collapse under my hand and scared the crap out of me. It popped right back but I have been much more careful since that incident.

Even if it was "Military Spec" that just means "Lowest Bidder, no features, and no frills" :)

When someone says to me they have a Mil-Spec AR-15 I ask them how the bent front site, and odd shaped carry handle rear site is working out for them.
Sponsored