Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Buyer
Vehicle Showcase
Hey,

So I was running some errands this morning and was getting in the truck at the bank and noticed this rather noticeable hole in the weatherstripping on the bottom of the driver door.

Would this be covered under warranty?
Have had my truck for just over a year now, only have 9,300 miles.

My experience with these is after the first hole/tear it falls apart rather quickly. I have been hearing new wind noise lately.. don’t know if this the cause.

Also; Don’t know if anyone can see it, there is a small indent in the stripping at the bottom of the pic. On the truck there’s an identical one a couple inches farther back. Does anyone else have these? They’ve been there a while and I don’t know what’s caused them.

Thanks in advance everyone.

D3804CE0-186D-41B1-9FC9-A6F07C1B544A.jpeg
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Brandon,

Not normal....Dealer should fix under warranty....

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Sharky

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 2015 Ford Focus 1934 model 40
Occupation
retired
I noticed 2 tears on the drivers side weather strip of my truck yesterday when cleaning it.
one below the rear door (super cab) & the other opening/tear is about 4" up from the bottom rear corner. I have to wonder what caused this....
will be going to the dealer in 2 weeks for the 10,000 mile service & will show them the issue.

OP
OP
NWRanger

NWRanger

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Buyer
Vehicle Showcase
I have some fitment (or warping) issues with weather stripping on the top of passenger window. Probably not noticed by most, but enough to make my OCD twitch, but I left that sleeping dog be.
I’m starting to wonder if I’m gonna have a similar issue. When I go to roll down the window it’s starting to make some funny noises and I know it’s the weatherstripping. We’ll see I guess.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Honestly it looks like something impacted the trim next to the tear and dragged across the weatherstripping and snagged it causing the damage. There's a divot and scuff marks all around the tear and on the plastic. My guess is something was in the wat when the door was closed causing this. Check the corresponding location on the door to see if there's any marks there as well.

One thing that stands out that something may have been there when the door was closed is the large dent (large red circle). My truck does not have this deformation divot in that location.

I marked the areas in the picture that stood out to me.

Red circles - Possible impact points.
Yellow circles - Scuff marks.
Blue circle - Plastic discoloration possible impression mark.

stripping.jpeg

FloggingBishop

First Name
Tyler W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Operator
I have some fitment (or warping) issues with weather stripping on the top of passenger window. Probably not noticed by most, but enough to make my OCD twitch, but I left that sleeping dog be.
Same here. Dealer has fixed it once already.

mustang marty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger stx sabertooth , 04 stang ragtop 40th anvrs. , 66 stang fastback 2 plus 2
Occupation
A happy retired guy
All the modern day weatherstripping is too flimsy and soft . Seems like the Chinese made crap I got for my 66 Mustang that I got because could not find nos Ford stock . Cheaping out is the plan .

Sharky

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
took my Ranger in for the 10000 mile service & had the dealer look at the door seal. they ordered a new seal but for the life of me I cannot understand why the seal tore open. it does flex easily & feels very soft.

door seal 1.JPG

door seal 2.JPG

Sharky

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
Update: since the truck will be at the dealer this week for the seat belt & headrest recalls, I checked on the door seal status.
seal was ordered 5/12/2021 . seal is on back order & I was told the expected arrival is some time in January of 22 :mad:

did anyone else get the seal replaced yet ? thank you.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Update: since the truck will be at the dealer this week for the seat belt & headrest recalls, I checked on the door seal status.
seal was ordered 5/12/2021 . seal is on back order & I was told the expected arrival is some time in January of 22 :mad:

did anyone else get the seal replaced yet ? thank you.
They replaced mine when it was in for the leaks. It took about 2 months to get the seal and glass in, and that's with an open case with Ford Customer Care. The window tint guy (dealer outsourced) destroyed the rear defogger on the new glass and it's been nearly 3 months and still waiting on another replacement glass so the rear defogger will work again. No clue on when it'll come in.

I'll probably be calling Ford Customer Care about it at some point this week and might not be a bad option on yours to see if they can speed things up. It's absolutely ridiculous that they cannot provide parts to the dealers to fix the trucks yet they keep pumping out incomplete vehicles cause of the chip shortages.

Last edited:

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I have two tears in the weather strip on the driver's side back door. Saw both happen when my Golden Retriever was jumping in. I was concerned about her scratching the sills and purchased stick on sill guards when I first got the truck, never expected her to tear the weatherstrip with her nails. It is pretty thin, past experience with weatherstrip is it is closed cell foam, that's much more durable.

Will be gluing it back together with some black RTV.

Eventually I will look into something more durable from Steele Rubber Products. All the weatherstripping and seals came from them when I restored my Barracuda. High quality and durable.

Chappy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x2
Yesterday I noticed my passenger side front has a tear at the bottom. Strange since hardly anyone rides with me. Guessing one of the few times my wife got in/out she slammed the door causing it to rip. I've got tint issues the dealer needs to look at so I'll add this to the list.

Thanks for posting this.

Sharky

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
All the modern day weatherstripping is too flimsy and soft . Seems like the Chinese made crap I got for my 66 Mustang that I got because could not find nos Ford stock . Cheaping out is the plan .
you are correct. the door seal is so extremely thin & soft , it is pathetic. I will be looking into other options as I am not happy with the situation. Thanks to all
Sponsored