Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Well you have to do what you have to do. Getting below sticker price is a good deal. Those are still very expensive aren't they? Good luck with your new rig.
Sticker on the Night edition I bought was $38.2K....I got them down to $37.2K. They gave me an extra $1K for my Kona in the end than they originally offered.

Overall I was pretty good with the deal.....
Sponsored

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Won't argue your general reasoning since it is ridiculous that dealers are marking up the vehicles for no good reason. Also to my understanding the 10 year 100K warranty is only good for the first owner for Hyundai KIA. If you are able to use the warranty then power to you. If not it's what it is.
you are correct - the 10yr/100k is non transferable , IIRC a 2nd owner gets 5yr/60k miles and that 10yr/100k is for the powertrain, 5yr/60k for most other parts. Hyundai/KIA knows a lot of owners won't keep their vehicle that long, I have a 2013 Sante Fe that has been reliable but the engine is starting to use oil despite being well maintained and Hyundai requires shorter oci intervals, plus their suspension components aren't of the highest quality .

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Sticker on the Night edition I bought was $38.2K....I got them down to $37.2K. They gave me an extra $1K for my Kona in the end than they originally offered.

Overall I was pretty good with the deal.....
was that a DCT in the Kona that sh*t the bed ? the early ones weren't very good and drew some class action suits, assume the one in the Santa Cruz is much better.

Clank

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Registered Nurse
Vehicle Showcase
was that a DCT in the Kona that sh*t the bed ? the early ones weren't very good and drew some class action suits, assume the one in the Santa Cruz is much better.
They actually had a recall on the DCT version of the Santa Cruz already. I test drove a Santa Cruz and it was great to drive.

OP
OP
txquailguy

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Won't argue your general reasoning since it is ridiculous that dealers are marking up the vehicles for no good reason. Also to my understanding the 10 year 100K warranty is only good for the first owner for Hyundai KIA. If you are able to use the warranty then power to you. If not it's what it is.
You are correct Chris....Hyundai and Kia are first owner warranties.....but I'm ok with that for my situation....I'm sure I'll take this one to at least 100K. I would have kept the Kona and not bought anything new if the tranny hadn't gone out.

You know what starting over on a new vehicle for registration purposes means here in Colorado.....not cool. I'm sure I'm looking at $700 for tags this first year.

The Ranger was $650 the first year back in 2020....now I'm down to $215 this year....

OP
OP
txquailguy

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I believe it was.....at least I got 92K of fairly hard driving out of her...

OP
OP
txquailguy

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Funny....the 2 things I miss from the Kona are the Premium Audio (It had a 315 watt, Infinity system that sounded perfect) and the Heads Up Display on the dash (Made it easy to check speed and see your proximity warnings better).

I do love the ride on the Santa Cruz.....dtech mentioned Hyundai's suspensions, but at least when new it feels very nice. We'll see how long that lasts. The Kona was a little sporty SUV....this vehicle is more of a highway cruiser with the 20" Wheels and Michelin Primacy LTX tires....

I will definitely need to install an aftermarket amp and speakers in this thing......terrible sound!

OP
OP
txquailguy

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
I’m sure you’ll enjoy it Mark.

Anyone else see the irony in those side steps like I do? ?
Useless/not needed is the deal with those stupid side steps.....I need longer legs to step over them when I exit the vehicle.....lol.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
The Ranger was $650 the first year back in 2020....now I'm down to $215 this year....
I'm getting ready to spend 650$ on my third year registration lol.. first year was something like 1170$.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
You are correct Chris....Hyundai and Kia are first owner warranties.....but I'm ok with that for my situation....I'm sure I'll take this one to at least 100K. I would have kept the Kona and not bought anything new if the tranny hadn't gone out.

You know what starting over on a new vehicle for registration purposes means here in Colorado.....not cool. I'm sure I'm looking at $700 for tags this first year.

Trust me, I am well aware of the registration cost...... At least I'm just outside the emissions line here in Elbert County!!

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
From C&D - 0 to 60 in 6 secs, that's faster than a stock ranger
I'd hope so, since it weighs up to 700 pounds less (depending on configuration). It's a smaller vehicle built lighter.

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
They honor the warranty on those transmissions because they are soooo bad and everyone knows it.
What else could they do?
Considering ford refused to replace the 6 speed dual clutch on the focus and fiestas, they seem to be a lot better.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
I'm getting ready to spend 650$ on my third year registration lol.. first year was something like 1170$.
Me: Laughs in Louisiana $65 every 4-year registration and $20 two-year inspection.
Also me: Crys when I drive on our crappy roads.

LaBalbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Ontario got rid of the renewal fee & stickers a couple of years ago, although we still have to "renew" our plates online. I'm not sure how many people actually remember to do that though; it took me about 4 months after mine had "expired" until I actually remembered to do it when in front of a computer, and not getting in the truck to drive somewhere, forgetting about it again in the meantime.
Also, we get to blame our crappy roads on winter conditions, which ironically even out the roads during winter before destroying them during the protracted battle between winter and summer that we cynically call spring. Why yes, you CAN get frostbite & heat stroke in the same day!
Sponsored