THE HYUNDAI SANTA CRUZ IS THE BEST TRUCK… IN THE WORLD?

wetidlerjr

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger XLT, SCrew, FX4, Shadow Blk, Blk App Pkg
Occupation
Retired Railroad Construction Signalman
Last edited:

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Me either.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/hyundai/santa-cruz

The 2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz has a quality interior, lots of standard tech and safety features, composed handling, and good fuel economy, but it also has a small bed. This vehicle does not have an overall score or ranking because it hasn't been fully crash tested or scored for reliability.
I'm always leery when they name a vehicle X-of the year in 2022 when it is still 2021. Seems like that award should be handed out at the end of 2022. Unless it is a purchased award that Hyundai paid for then of course, they need it as soon as the check clears the bank.

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
Not sure the hate for it. To me it's like they're just doing their own thing and not actively competing against rivals. Maybe the ridgeline/maverick, but not your standard body-on-frame style trucks.

The grill is a bit meh, but I honestly dig it's styling. I could totally see this thing in a rally event or something.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I've looked at/driven the Santa Cruz and the Maverick and I'll take the Maverick every time.

I am not a fan of the Hyundai's extensive use of piano black fingerprint-magnet plastic on the controls.

While the Santa Cruz does have a few really neat features (the dash display turns into a rearview camera down the side of the car when changing lanes. Neat!), I like the Maverick interior better.

Add in that the Maverick is thousands less, even if you purchase an extended warranty that exceeds the Hyundai 100k warranty, and it's a win for the Ford in my book..

Edit: Problem is that you can find the Santa Cruz all day in my area. Finding an Fx4 Maverick is a much more daunting task.

OP
OP
wetidlerjr

wetidlerjr

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger XLT, SCrew, FX4, Shadow Blk, Blk App Pkg
Occupation
Retired Railroad Construction Signalman

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure the hate for it. To me it's like they're just doing their own thing and not actively competing against rivals. Maybe the ridgeline/maverick, but not your standard body-on-frame style trucks.

The grill is a bit meh, but I honestly dig it's styling. I could totally see this thing in a rally event or something.
Ridgeline might be a perception competitor but in regards to size, it's not even close. Ridgeline is bigger than our trucks, inside and out.

onobeka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford ranger 2.2 European model
I love Santacruz mtbs, Hyundai Santacruz … not as much. Otoh, Hyundai makes good reliable cars lately.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Just what we need. That is, if it has their upper-class, twin turbo, V6. Oh, I forgot. They're having lots of issues with that engine.
Sponsored