THE HYUNDAI SANTA CRUZ IS THE BEST TRUCK… IN THE WORLD?

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
The Ridgeline is much closer to a "real truck" than either the Santa Cruz or Maverick. It has an f150 size interior, tows more than both, bigger bed than our trucks, really isn't far off on payload either. And the Maverick is an Escape with ass stretched out and the top cut off. You can't even fit a bicycle in the back of the Santa Cruz or Maverick.

Maverick, Santa Cruz, and Ridgeline are all unibody based on SUVs and that's why they have bigger interiors than our trucks but Maverick and Santa Cruz are compact SUVs, where the Ridgeline is a full-size SUV (Pilot).
The Ridgeline has an F-150 sized interior? Is it a Tardis or something? Has Honda figured out how to bend space and time and make the interior larger than the exterior?
Sponsored

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
The Ridgeline is much closer to a "real truck" than either the Santa Cruz or Maverick. It has an f150 size interior, tows more than both, bigger bed than our trucks, really isn't far off on payload either. And the Maverick is an Escape with ass stretched out and the top cut off. You can't even fit a bicycle in the back of the Santa Cruz or Maverick.

Maverick, Santa Cruz, and Ridgeline are all unibody based on SUVs and that's why they have bigger interiors than our trucks but Maverick and Santa Cruz are compact SUVs, where the Ridgeline is a full-size SUV (Pilot).
Compare the price of the Ridgeline to the Mav and Cruz.
They weren’t designed to be trucks in the sense of using it as a truck like the Honda or F150, IMO they are designed to carry golf clubs, luggage to airport and garbage bags.

I know a lot of people who want a little truck just to run back and forth to work that gets great fuel mileage that will never scratch the inside of the bed, this I think are who the manufactures are after.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Keep hearing rumors that Stellantis is going to bring the Ram 700 to the US and release a new version of the Dakota. If the do it will be more competition for the Maverick and Ranger respectively.

Laramie-34-Frontal-TRATADO-1-1536x864-1.jpg

2019-ram-midsize-pickup-final3-1-1559583572.jpg

2024_Ram_Dakota.jpg

Markubis

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT, Volkswagon Tiguan, Can Am Ryker
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Ok, I watched the video of it driving through the desert and I didn't see it doing anything that my Ford Focus couldn't do.
Now, having said that, I think its pretty cool looking...but to call it a truck is stretching reality.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
The Ridgeline has an F-150 sized interior? Is it a Tardis or something? Has Honda figured out how to bend space and time and make the interior larger than the exterior?
F150 has 66.7 inches of shoulder space and 62.5 of hip. Ranger has 56 for both. Ridgeline has 62 and 60. So maybe not quite F150 but its closer to F150 than it is Ranger, and nowhere near Santa Cruz or Maverick. Ridgeline has higher payload capacity than Colorado and Gladiator. It has a bigger bed than most of the other short bed midsize. It tows more than Gladiator and most GM configurations. In actuality, aside from off-roading (and it's terrible looks), it's a better truck for truck stuff than most of its competition. There's no bigger clue that people haven't researched anything in the segment than to lump it in with Maverick and Santa Cruz.

Reactions: Doc

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
They weren’t designed to be trucks in the sense of using it as a truck like the Honda or F150, IMO they are designed to carry golf clubs, luggage to airport and garbage bags.

I know a lot of people who want a little truck just to run back and forth to work that gets great fuel mileage that will never scratch the inside of the bed, this I think are who the manufactures are after.
Exactly. They're not in the same segment as any truck but each other at all. But I'm sure we'll see more mini-trucks coming if the initial sales of these two are an indication.

Last edited:

RecoilOperated

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 XLT, 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
ICU Nurse

Not to mention that there is no "less capable" version of the Ridgeline available. All of them come with the V6, torque-vectoring AWD, 5,000lbs towing, and (gasp) 8 tie down points in the bed!

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
I haven’t seen the Maverick up close but I wished they would have named it something else like the Courier or Ranger ll. They did that with the Bronco so why not? We have two Bronco’s a small one and a large one.

The Maverick was also a car and the Mustang Mach1 was never an SUV….it was a FRICKING HOT ROD that took high test pump gas, not a damn plug-in cord.

Must be these new millennial engineers Fords be hiring that don’t even know what an old Maverick looks like.

One more rant if you don’t mind.
The Cruz looks good but I’d never buy a Hyundai or a KIA. They may be great cars and built in the USA but I will never buy one. That’s just me.

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I haven’t seen the Maverick up close but I wished they would have named it something else like the Courier or Ranger ll. They did that with the Bronco so why not? We have two Bronco’s a small one and a large one.
Honestly that was the dumbest thing Ford did. Every person I know who doesn't follow cars that much thought the Bronco ll was the full size Bronco. They all said to me "boy it's much smaller than I expected". :facepalm:

I'm sure it would've been a little different if they released the full size first but I'm not a fan of naming something (especially the Bronco) with a ll after it. Give it their own name and stop resurrecting old names.

Last edited:

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Honestly that was the dumbest thing Ford did. Every person I know who doesn't follow cars that much thought the Bronco ll was the full size Bronco. They all said to me "boy it's much smaller than I expected". :facepalm:

I'm sure it would've been a little different if they released the full size first but I'm not a fan of naming something (especially the Bronco) with a ll after it. Give it there own name and stop resurrecting old names
I can understand a manufacturer wanting to capitalize on name recognition.

But to attach a recognized name to something that doesn't resemble what it is supposedly named after, that leaves me a bit baffled.

I'm sure manufacturers spend countless thousands trying to come up with a catchy name to market something (that's why we don't have a vehicle named the Turnip Twaddler) but PLEASE stop hanging a historied name on anything that has wheels.

I mean, Mach E, meh. Bronco Sport, meh.

But you Chevrolet, and your new "Blazer"????? Time to bring back public flogging.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I owned a 2006 Ridgeline RTL-Navi for 13 years. It is NOT F150-size inside, unless you're talking a really old F150. Fact is, the 2017 Ranger I have now, is bigger in every respect.

One thing for sure, both the Ridgeline and Ranger are rated about the same HP and torque. But in every respect, the Ranger is faster, and stops better too! The only advantage I can think of, is the Ridgeline is independent suspended all around, hence a bit better riding empty. Four on board, not so much!

Reactions: Doc

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I can understand a manufacturer wanting to capitalize on name recognition.

But to attach a recognized name to something that doesn't resemble what it is supposedly named after, that leaves me a bit baffled.

I'm sure manufacturers spend countless thousands trying to come up with a catchy name to market something (that's why we don't have a vehicle named the Turnip Twaddler) but PLEASE stop hanging a historied name on anything that has wheels.

I mean, Mach E, meh. Bronco Sport, meh.

But you Chevrolet, and your new "Blazer"????? Time to bring back public flogging.
The Bronco was/is such an iconic vehicle to put out the Bronco Sport was a huge gaff of Fords IMHO. Then to butcher the full size Bronco they way they did made it even worse as the Sport was at the dealers and everyone thought this was the "new Bronco".

Chevy could've really had some good competition for the Bronco but I agree, the new Blazer is just hideous! :puke:

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
A Tacoma just from the rust. ? ?
My 2006 Ranger that I traded in toward my current 2019 Lariat had serious rust issues on the frame rails - everyone who serviced the truck noted it. Very good truck otherwise - 41k miles when traded.

IMG_0321.JPG

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Must be these new millennial engineers Fords be hiring that don’t even know what an old Maverick looks like.
Phil can tell us for sure, but I'd be very surprised if any of the engineers have anything to do with the naming of vehicles. I'm sure that is all the marketing folks.

But I agree, some of the recent naming is rather odd. The maverick in particular.
Sponsored