First Name
Ramesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
@UofMEngineer

The skipping happens when connected to phone via USB. While driving, I connected the phone via USB and said yes to allow internet via usb and it started skipping here and there. Guess update is taking place in the background.

Will the update happen while it is in the garage connected to WiFi and engine off and entertainment console off?

Thanks, the voice navigation is working again!

Sounds good. If it keeps doing it the only thing I can think of is there may have been an install issue somewhere along the way. The skipping would suggest the high load (same with slow response) though the prompt skips are almost always due to some ongoing file activity. If it keeps doing it they may just end up replacing the module.
Sponsored

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Escape Hybrid,18' Fusion Hybrid
@UofMEngineer

The skipping happens when connected to phone via USB. While driving, I connected the phone via USB and said yes to allow internet via usb and it started skipping here and there. Guess update is taking place in the background.

Will the update happen while it is in the garage connected to WiFi and engine off and entertainment console off?

Thanks, the voice navigation is working again!
Hmm. Not sure. If it keeps doing it then it may be something install related. But while driving it wouldn’t be updating. Unless you use your phone as the WiFi link for it, then it might but that’d eat a lot of data. Hopefully it clears up for you.

EDIT: Forgot to mention. If you notice a sudden drop in recognition of commands, so more error prompts, that also can indicate there's something going on in the background still. Same factor that makes prompts skip can screw up the audio stream going into the voice engine.

Last edited:

Ramesh

First Name
Ramesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@UofMEngineer The Journey feature does not work most of the time and trying to send directions from Android FordPass app, it says, need to connect via Bluetooth and the phone is connected via Bluetooth! Tried with usb cable as well and sometimes it works. The dealer has ordered a new APIM as they were unable to fix it and unable to reload the Sync as well. They felt the APIM is totally corrupted.

Should get new APIM next week and keeping fingers crossed that this will fix the issues!

Barry

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Analyst
Reinstall the map update from the beginning. Ignore all the complete/restart messages until you get one that says the update is complete and stays there without the system restarting on its own.

it should take about an hour +/- to complete the map
update, though some have said it took longer. Once it fully completes, the voice commands will be there.

Good luck and let us know how it worked out.
I finally did the reinstall and received the message "Installation Complete". I had to do a master reset to bring back the voice commands. So far, everything is working.
Thanks

Barry

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Analyst
Stupid question, are you updating you SYNC system to 3.4 or are updating your maps? From your description it sounds like your updating SYNC not maps. If this is true you may be missing a file on your USB drive this has been a common issue with the latest SYNC update. Both the SYNC update threads have been dealing with this.
The update was for navigation. I did the SYNC update a couple of weeks before to put back the climate control button. I wasn't missing a file, the map updated successfully. I was pulling the thumb drive out to soon.
Thanks

Barry

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Analyst
If it went through the map update completely and they still don't work, then it could be that the images didn't mount post update. A master reset will get it going. Not sure if you / the dealer tried that?

SYNC will restart itself as needed. Leave the vehicle alone until it gets through all of the self restarts and that pop-up message sticks on screen. As in it has sat there for 30 seconds to a minute just to be safe. The update can take a while. Normally it's been 50ish minutes for me, but some have reported longer times depending on USB drives.
I left it alone and I finally got the message that installation complete. The voice commands are back, after I did a master reset. Everything is working.
Thanks

Ramesh

First Name
Ramesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@UofMEngineer "HELP"! They replaced the APIM and Voice navigation works fine but Radio takes long time to shutdown when engine powered off and then when turned on, it loses all the settings and phone sync. I have to redo the phone sync and settings. Tried to do master reset and after clicking on <Continue> nothing happens. Drove for 15 minutes and nothing happened and screen was frozen.

Technician at Frontier Ford, San Jose, CA unable to figure out this out! Also, upon turning of the engine and opening the door, Screen freezes and takes long time to power off.

How do I get this fixed! Thanks!

Ramesh "I am Thoroughly frustrated with Sync 3" Dimba

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@UofMEngineer "HELP"! They replaced the APIM and Voice navigation works fine but Radio takes long time to shutdown when engine powered off and then when turned on, it loses all the settings and phone sync. I have to redo the phone sync and settings. Tried to do master reset and after clicking on <Continue> nothing happens. Drove for 15 minutes and nothing happened and screen was frozen.

Technician at Frontier Ford, San Jose, CA unable to figure out this out! Also, upon turning of the engine and opening the door, Screen freezes and takes long time to power off.

How do I get this fixed! Thanks!

Ramesh "I am Thoroughly frustrated with Sync 3" Dimba
No idea on that one. That almost sounds like some faulty hardware, bad software install on the new unit, or power loss to the unit if the saved data is being removed every time.

Ramesh

First Name
Ramesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No idea on that one. That almost sounds like some faulty hardware, bad software install on the new unit, or power loss to the unit if the saved data is being removed every time.
Thanks @UofMEngineer! My gut feeling says probably bent pins on the connector on the new APIM causing the issue. This evening, I tried removing the negative terminal for a 45secs and same issue persists. Tried re-installing sync and waiting till it said it was complete and USB can be removed and same issue and definitely pointing to bad HW.

Ramesh

First Name
Ramesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks @UofMEngineer! My gut feeling says probably bent pins on the connector on the new APIM causing the issue. This evening, I tried removing the negative terminal for a 45secs and same issue persists. Tried re-installing sync and waiting till it said it was complete and USB can be removed and same issue and definitely pointing to bad HW.
@UofMEngineer Created the USB to reinstall Sync and Navi again and waited patiently till it said remove USB and screen did not freeze and was able to do Master Reset and sync up phone and everything is working as expected. Though Voice Navigation can be improved to understand spoken words properly!

I did not go to the dealer and cancelled the appointment and did it myself. I don't think the Service Techs. have patience or don't have proper training to install SW.

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@UofMEngineer Created the USB to reinstall Sync and Navi again and waited patiently till it said remove USB and screen did not freeze and was able to do Master Reset and sync up phone and everything is working as expected. Though Voice Navigation can be improved to understand spoken words properly!

I did not go to the dealer and cancelled the appointment and did it myself. I don't think the Service Techs. have patience or don't have proper training to install SW.
Good to hear you finally got it working. Define "spoken properly". Everything can always be improved, though Nav is the main domain that has it's limits on the current platform.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

We name our GPS units. First for the motor home was a Lorance...great but they decided to find fish and not update GPS...her name was Gertrude. Replaced with a Garmin...Beatrice. Our Ranger and Nautilus are Ditz1 and Ditz2 respectively.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I can honestly say I've never once used the built in Nav.

Plug phone in...

Hey google.....

Works great.

Ramesh

First Name
Ramesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Good to hear you finally got it working. Define "spoken properly". Everything can always be improved, though Nav is the main domain that has it's limits on the current platform.
@UofMEngineer While driving asked for directions to BevMore in los altos, it should up with a list of non related stores and then I just said "find a place" and then said Beverages and more, it should up with 2 stores "Beverages More" and "Beverages and More", selecting either of them, it did not show the store that was 4 miles from me in Los Altos, CA but should stores that were further away.

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@UofMEngineer While driving asked for directions to BevMore in los altos, it should up with a list of non related stores and then I just said "find a place" and then said Beverages and more, it should up with 2 stores "Beverages More" and "Beverages and More", selecting either of them, it did not show the store that was 4 miles from me in Los Altos, CA but should stores that were further away.
So, both of these would be map data limitations. The "Find Bevmo" won't work straight off as HERE doesn't appear to declare that as a "chain" in the data. The second one could be older map data. When I run a search, I see one location in Los Altos, 4700 El Camino Real to be exact. Is that the one you were looking for?
Sponsored