John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I mean opening up the hole like I did.
I dunno if that changes much either since the port into the airbox is the same but I'd be curious if you can document some improvement. The primary advantage that I discern from the VT is it increases atmospheric pressure (and therefore volume) at speed into the intake, although how precisely how it accomplishes that from that position is (I presume) the engineering secret to the results I got. It isn't apparent how channeling air at that point with that duct design worked but I can't dispute that I got improvement when I added mine.
Sponsored

FloggingBishop

First Name
Tyler W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Operator
Government wanted summer blend active and changed over by May 1st this year. Pretty sure I’m on my first tank of summer blend now as the differences is noticeable.

I also opened up my apron hole to the Velossa oval size. Then added the aFe intake and there is a definite difference.
Days ahead will show a mileage bump for sure, just how much remains to be seen.

2F086BDD-2FA0-4BEC-A0AC-55042C4F0B12.jpeg
I have a velossa, like it. I won’t open the hole any bigger, helps keep the schmoo out. I also had the aFe, with the intake as well, and I ended up switching to the Mishimoto. Nothing wrong per se with the aFe, it just wasn’t what I was looking for. It was harder on my gas mileage in city. Lots of fun and some kick when I asked for it. I am very happy with the Mishimoto intake. So I have a spare aFe with a red intake scoop if anyone is interested (Canuckistanians only tho).

Nevada_Bob

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat
The primary advantage that I discern from the VT is it increases atmospheric pressure (and therefore volume) at speed into the intake ...
I believe the advantage lies in the temperature of the air fed into the intake.

The "Big Mouth" gets ambient temp charge, as opposed to stock, which draws from a bubble of air that "can" be heated by first slamming into radiator, AC and intercooler.

I'm not sure that ram-air does much to improve the efficiency of a turbo.

Cool air, on the other hand... That's the good stuff!

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
[="Racket, post: 254364, membe
I have a velossa, like it. I won’t open the hole any bigger, helps keep the schmoo out. I also had the aFe, with the intake as well, and I ended up switching to the Mishimoto. Nothing wrong per se with the aFe, it just wasn’t what I was looking for. It was harder on my gas mileage in city. Lots of fun and some kick when I asked for it. I am very happy with the Mishimoto intake. So I have a spare aFe with a red intake scoop if anyone is interested (Canuckistanians only tho).
What are the opening measurements of the aFe? The stock one is 5.75” x 2.25. Curious if it’s worth the $55+

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
REALTOR
For what it’s worth, I recently noticed under my hood a small trace or evidence of dirt/airflow into my stock intake snorkel. I did not see any other traces anywhere else. I installed a Velossa Tech a few months ago ??‍♂
72059CFA-5178-4015-97AC-807A33673323.jpeg

FloggingBishop

First Name
Tyler W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Operator
[="Racket, post: 254364, membe

What are the opening measurements of the aFe? The stock one is 5.75” x 2.25. Curious if it’s worth the $55+
Don’t have them off the top my head but she’s muuuuch bigger

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
I believe the advantage lies in the temperature of the air fed into the intake.

The "Big Mouth" gets ambient temp charge, as opposed to stock, which draws from a bubble of air that "can" be heated by first slamming into radiator, AC and intercooler.

I'm not sure that ram-air does much to improve the efficiency of a turbo.

Cool air, on the other hand... That's the good stuff!
THANK YOU!
I've been siting here trying to figure out how a better airflow benefits a Turb. Colder air is the ticket.

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL SuperCab
Also makes no sense why the 1/2in hump between the cowl air hole and the snorkel which narrows the airflow space between the hood and the cowl down to a measly 1/2in slit. It’s there to keep any intake noise down, same as other manufacturers building resonators into the airflow path. Ford just build it into the design of the cowl vs making it flat. So I remedied that with some kydex.

image.jpg

Also with some materials like Kydex, weatherstripping, plastic push fasteners, and paint matching duct tape you can can really open her up to create a Ram air type β€œbox” vs scoop, doubling the size of a cowl modded to take full advantage of the large outlet of the VT scoop.

image.jpg

Does it work? This pic of the underside of the hood shows how much air during rain is getting directed toward the scoop. The beautifully constructed aFe scoop then smooths any turmultous airflow, allowing the airspace between the hood and cowl to become a β€œcold air plenum” vs a part of the airflow path as it is in stock formation.

image.jpg

Here’s a shot of how much easier it is for air to now reach the scoop with the hood closed and a hogged out cowl with restrictions minimized. Before removing the resonator hump in the cowl and maximizing the air hole in the cowl I could not see the red of the aFe scoop.

image.jpg

Something to consider, the VT scoop inlet is half the size of the outlet so that it will accommodate the underside of an unmodified cowl air hole. There is room on the inlet side to make the scoop inlet as big as the outlet, maybe a future version will be that way someday. I’ve owned a VT scoop and it’s a well made piece and for those who don’t want to cut stuff up it’s worth it IMO.

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
REALTOR
Also makes no sense why the 1/2in hump between the cowl air hole and the snorkel which narrows the airflow space between the hood and the cowl down to a measly 1/2in slit. It’s there to keep any intake noise down, same as other manufacturers building resonators into the airflow path. Ford just build it into the design of the cowl vs making it flat. So I remedied that with some kydex.

image.jpg

Also with some materials like Kydex, weatherstripping, plastic push fasteners, and paint matching duct tape you can can really open her up to create a Ram air type β€œbox” vs scoop, doubling the size of a cowl modded to take full advantage of the large outlet of the VT scoop.

image.jpg

Does it work? This pic of the underside of the hood shows how much air during rain is getting directed toward the scoop. The beautifully constructed aFe scoop then smooths any turmultous airflow, allowing the airspace between the hood and cowl to become a β€œcold air plenum” vs a part of the airflow path as it is in stock formation.

image.jpg

Here’s a shot of how much easier it is for air to now reach the scoop with the hood closed and a hogged out cowl with restrictions minimized. Before removing the resonator hump in the cowl and maximizing the air hole in the cowl I could not see the red of the aFe scoop.

image.jpg

Something to consider, the VT scoop inlet is half the size of the outlet so that it will accommodate the underside of an unmodified cowl air hole. There is room on the inlet side to make the scoop inlet as big as the outlet, maybe a future version will be that way someday. I’ve owned a VT scoop and it’s a well made piece and for those who don’t want to cut stuff up it’s worth it IMO.
Very good idea! I’m not into cutting things up so I’ll keep the VT installed & live with the benny’s it does provide. Thanks for posting!

pull string get cookies

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 White Platinum
Vehicle Showcase
I got the big mouth and the AFE intake horn installed. I drive about 200 miles yesterday over a route I commonly drive and I got 21.2 mpg. That is about 2 mpg better than I have ever gotten on that route since I started modifying my truck. It was warmer yesterday too. So it wasn’t just cooler weather. I am still skeptical but that is what I experienced yesterday.
Care to share any updates on this? Thanks

OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Something to consider, the VT scoop inlet is half the size of the outlet so that it will accommodate the underside of an unmodified cowl air hole.
Sounds like the combination of getting 'clean' and 'cool' air at speed sets up a nice leading edge supply. The observation that the exit of the VT is bigger where it fills the 'plenum' means pressure shifts but I imagine temperature would drop as someone else pointed out. My guess at this point the aFe horn more simply enlarges the plenum area.

Perhaps we've figured out this little piece of engineering?

Since it all ends up (for me) going into the stock airbox via the existing hole that's the limiting point in this.

I would like to imagine if there was a replacement air filter with OEM or better filtration but more airflow I'd see better MPG's on the highway. Not considering the K&N types here as they don't filter as well as stock.

To make financial sense a superior disposable replacement air filter could be 20-25% more than the Ford part, the payoff being better gas mileage and perhaps some performance gains - but I don't think that's the focus of the Big Mouth.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
A couple things happening over at VT; they've introduced some alternate 'mouth' openings and I asked Dan if the styles would work in our Rangers. He didn't think so because if the tight space behind the grill.

Then I saw this:

At first I thought 'meh' but then we got owners putting Raptor style lights on our trucks so I asked Dan... he wanted me to find out if there would be any interest in something like it?

Opinions?

jjk2020

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport Extended Cab
Occupation
Retired
No interest. No doubt very costly. I was near complete with my big mouth order after they offered a 15% discount for memorial day, then they added a $10.00 standard shipping charge. I therefore removed my order. To me, the cost is too high for a piece of plastic. I'm disappointed.

OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
No interest. No doubt very costly. I was near complete with my big mouth order after they offered a 15% discount for memorial day, then they added a $10.00 standard shipping charge. I therefore removed my order. To me, the cost is too high for a piece of plastic. I'm disappointed.
Thanks for the bump anyway. Everyone who has been in this thread since it began became aware of the cost and benefits. It's not for everyone.

Like dampers.

TremorOwner

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Is anyone running actual data logs pre and post? That will tell you if the engine is actually advancing timing due to cooler, denser air or other legit improvements.
Sponsored