First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
So is the Big Mouth just the scoop under the cowl behind the grill or does it also include a bigger airbox scoop like the one aFe just released? I was hoping it included both.
aFe_airbox_scoop.jpg
I pre-ordered the aFe as well (not shipped yet). It doesn't modify the stock box, but allows more potential pressure at the inlet. By itself, maybe marginal improvements. Coupled with the Velossa Tech perhaps it can create a plenum type effect for that pressure. It's not a completely sealed system so probably mostly effective under certain conditions and speeds.

When I proposed a gasket flange seal on the stock system between the hood and plastic factory shroud to create an area of pressure Dan said that might not provide a benefit and could actually hurt performance some.
Sponsored

Last edited:

deton8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2008 F150 Foose Edition, 2006 Pontiac GTO, 2004 Buell XB12S, 1995 Yamaha TW200
Vehicle Showcase
I pre-ordered the aFe as well (not shipped yet). It doesn't modify the stock box, but allows more potential pressure at the inlet.
I have the aFe Quantum 5R airbox but haven't pulled the trigger on the new scoop (yet). I was hoping Velocitech big mouth would cover both. I think some of their other big mouth kits include piping to the airbox. At least the install for the Ranger is easy. Some some of their other applications appear to have a pretty involved install that even requires some cutting.

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I pre-ordered the aFe as well (not shipped yet). It doesn't modify the stock box, but allows more potential pressure at the inlet. By itself, maybe marginal improvements. Coupled with the Velossa Tech perhaps it can create a plenum type effect for that pressure. It's not a sealed system so probably mostly effective under certain conditions and speeds.

When I proposed a gasket flange seal on the stock system between the hood and plastic factory shroud to create an area of pressure Dan said that might not provide a benefit and could actually hurt performance some.
If you look closely, Ford has sealed that area from the rest of the cowl area. There is an additional vertical seal on that side on the hood near the latch area. It doesn't look like it provides a perfect seal, but it definitely helps. Mine has this.

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I raised the hood to grab this shot.
IMG_20200916_140004347.jpg

And my testing will have to start all over again. After resetting my trip odometer leaving the gas station, I got a total of about 15 miles on it and while on the way to work this morning the engine started running rough and I got the "Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power" message.

I suspect bad gas? Have an appointment at my Ford dealership in the AM. Before leaving work I used the SCT box to reset the PCM to stock (just in case) and cleared the Keep Alive Memory (KAM) but no change on the way home.

No way the Big Mouth had anything to do with this of course.

Stay tuned?
That is the area I opened up. Quite a bit, but still within the factory sealed area that directs air towards the airbox.

Engmus

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Information Technology
So is the Big Mouth just the scoop under the cowl behind the grill or does it also include a bigger airbox scoop like the one aFe just released? I was hoping it included both.
aFe_airbox_scoop.jpg
I also preordered this, I think pairing this with the Velossa Tech design would be awesome.

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I have also pre-ordered the AFE airbox scoop. While the opening down in the box will still be the same, maybe the scoop will catch a little more are coming from the cowl area. It looks like it goes up towards the hood a lot more and is a little wider. Should be a nice piece for the money when it gets shipped.

OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Last edited:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Dan sent me a message: the product has launched!
Check it out:
https://www.velossatechdesign.com/products/2019-2020-ford-ranger-big-mouth-ram-air-intake-snorkel

The install instructions might not be on the site, I had intended to get back there so they could photograph any details for installation. It's not super complicated, but reassuring if you have a visual reference.
It is interesting but at the same time not for me. If you are planning to stay on the street then you are good to go. If you are planning to go offroad with the possibility of water crossings then it isnt. Other than that seems like a good option.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
It is interesting but at the same time not for me. If you are planning to stay on the street then you are good to go. If you are planning to go offroad with the possibility of water crossings then it isnt. Other than that seems like a good option.
And as I previously mentioned.. in a snow storm... or driving in slush on the highway with a lot of water spray you'll end up sitting along side the road with an engine that can't breathe.

It looks like a great fair weather setup... but for sure not any good for folks that drive in 4 seasons.

OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
And as I previously mentioned.. in a snow storm... or driving in slush on the highway with a lot of water spray you'll end up sitting along side the road with an engine that can't breathe.

It looks like a great fair weather setup... but for sure not any good for folks that drive in 4 seasons.
For extreme weather folk I suppose this 'might' be an issue - but this isn't a perfectly sealed system. If you get into deep water I expect you'd have to be to the top of the grill to worry - and I suspect there will be other concerns. Or buy and adapt one of those 'snorkles' - but the Velossa Tech doesn't extend in front of the grill (see the pictures I posted); This type of mod simulates being at 'lower altitudes.'

Or:
https://viciousoffroad.com/i-305849...66_Qs_rXX7umQ8bLjAc9cO7g-vZUrkA8aAmLeEALw_wcB

Last edited:

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
For extreme weather folk I suppose this 'might' be an issue - but this isn't a sealed system. If you get into deep water I expect you'd have to be to the top of the grill to worry - and I suspect there will be other concerns. Or buy and adapt one of those 'snorkles' - but the Velossa Tech doesn't extend in front of the grill (see the pictures I posted). This type of mod simulates being at 'lower altitudes.'
I'm not talking about anything but normal highway driving where there are 4 seasons. A driving snowstorm here in Colorado would pack that air intake full of snow, slush and overspray.

And in temperatures around 20 below zero that'll all turn to ice.

Not a problem for you Floridians.. but real world for us here in the Colorado high country.

Ever seen frozen dingles on the tire fuzzies?

DSCF4219.JPG

OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
I'm not talking about anything but normal highway driving where there are 4 seasons. A driving snowstorm here in Colorado would pack that air intake full of snow, slush and overspray.

And in temperatures around 20 below zero that'll all turn to ice.

Not a problem for you Floridians.. but real world for us here in the Colorado high country.

Ever seen frozen dingles on the tire fuzzies?

DSCF4219.JPG
Looks like the rear wheel well? How about the front grill?

Looking at your pic I wonder when rear inner wheel liner accessories will come out.

Last edited:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Looks like the rear wheel well? How about the front grill?

Looking at your pic I wonder when rear inner wheel liners will come out.
Surprisingling enough the grills can get clogged with snow real quick here in Colorado. I can confirm this one myself from living in Leadville and working in Silverthorne. It gets bad enough here the snow and ice build up makes you think your wheels and tires are out of ballance.

To sum it up I support John on this one.
Sponsored