Velossa Tech Design Big Mouth for 2019+ Ranger

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
I'm glad i got them to get the ball rolling on this. I have one on my Fusion and wanted one to augment the stock system with something better than my scoop.
Sponsored

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
Here's the view of the prototype installed (from the front) - not the colors I'd choose, but... keep in mind the cowl cover for the intercooler/oil cooler/radiator has to be removed to bolt it on, so I can't show all that. You can see some of the other color options for cars at
https://www.velossatechdesign.com/
IMG_20200911_160558176_HDR.jpg
Looks good. Thanks for the share ??

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 Honda Accord Touring
I really don't believe that aftermarket air cleaners provide a significant performance benefit without affecting long term wear on the motor.

Even the owner of Velossatech said as much, that his customers reported better highway mileage. I'm only halfway through the second tank of gas and that's my experience.

I totally understand there is no practical way to demonstrate performance increases, but if I'm getting real world efficiency then I consider it a refinement to the manufacturer's base design.

I wouldn't assert an advantage on the drag strip.

If the styling appeals that's just a bonus.
I know there is a sometime not so hidden group that really does not like CAI and such, but if Ford and Roush were worried about the impact of their non-stock air filters why would they offer the 3 year warranty?

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Here's the view of the prototype installed (from the front) - not the colors I'd choose, but... keep in mind the cowl cover for the intercooler/oil cooler/radiator has to be removed to bolt it on, so I can't show all that. You can see some of the other color options for cars at
https://www.velossatechdesign.com/
IMG_20200911_160558176_HDR.jpg
For us to get an idea of whether or not this would offer much of an improvement, can you provide an under-hood pic? Does it just route the factory opening in the cover/shroud, or do you cut that and route it up and into the scoop on the airbox?

The reason I ask is although I am sure it funnels in air directly to the opening in the cover/shroud (if that is as far as it goes), I am not sure about how much it will really help considering the whole area behind the grille on that side of the truck is providing air to the same opening. Sure it is not funneled directly but instead fills full of air that is pushed through the opening by the pressure created at speed, but it still provides a ton of air.

While those fuel economy improvements you posted look nice for those that are worried about that, there are many factors that can affect those numbers on any given day. I am not bashing or saying what you have found isn't true, it would just be nice to see more of the installation. I am sure that scoop does provide more of a ram effect at speed, though from a smaller area. If it is just going to the opening in the cover/shroud, much of the benefit from being funneled through a nicely shaped and flowing snorkel like the one they have created will be minimized because it still has to find its way to the airbox snorkel in the area between the hood and the cover/shroud. If it goes directly to the airbox snorkel like it does in some applications, then that would be fantastic.

Last edited:

OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
For us to get an idea of whether or not this would offer much of an improvement, can you provide an under-hood pic? Does it just route the factory opening in the cover/shroud, or do you cut that and route it up and into the scoop on the airbox?

The reason I ask is although I am sure it funnels in air directly to the opening in the cover/shroud (if that is as far as it goes), I am not sure about how much it will really help considering the whole area behind the grille on that side of the truck is providing air to the same opening. Sure it is not funneled directly but instead fills full of air that is pushed through the opening by the pressure created at speed, but it still provides a ton of air.

While those fuel economy improvements you posted look nice for those that are worried about that, there are many factors that can affect those numbers on any given day. I am not bashing or saying what you have found isn't true, it would just be nice to see more of the installation. I am sure that scoop does provide more of a ram effect at speed, though from a smaller area. If it is just going to the opening in the cover/shroud, much of the benefit from being funneled through a nicely shaped and flowing snorkel like the one they have created will be minimized because it still has to find its way to the airbox snorkel in the area between the hood and the cover/shroud. If it goes directly to the airbox snorkel like it does in some applications, then that would be fantastic.
I'd have to pull the plastic cowling off that covers the area between the grill to the radiator to show any more detail.

You likely know where the air is vented up under the hood to the area in front of the stock snorkel? The Big Mouth ends with an outlet directing the air there. I asked Dan if he recommended any mods to the factory setup - maybe a foam gasket to create a sealed plenum up top? He claimed it could actually cause problems although I can't remember specifically what they were. The fundamental action seems to be providing more positive pressure ahead of the airbox snorkel. At what speed this provides significant improvement I can only guess. Probably no difference at idle?

It all seemed like snake oil and I keep trying to imagine a more sophisticated configuration but in my mixed driving, if I'm actually getting the equivalent of an extra gallon's worth of gas mileage per tank (that seems like where this is going) then yeah, this has value to me. Where that breaks even and into $ saving territory is to be seen. I'm gassing up tomorrow and will post more odometer/MPG pics.

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Thanks! I appreciate the response and I kind of figured that is how it was made. Thanks for the real world testing. Very few parts get that benefit before coming to market.

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I personally increased the opening for air coming in from the grill but staying within the confines of the seal created between the hood and cowl in that area that creates an air pocket for the airbox scoop. It was nice of Ford to go that extra step to make sure air was directed towards the scoop. BTW, the larger opening is noticable. I can even hear the intake ingesting air which was barely, if at all, noticable stock.

OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Third tank of gas. Here's the computer calculations; manual calculation was a hair over nineteen and a quarter MPG for the tank. Took the pic as I was refilling the tank.
IMG_20200915_162810262.jpg

My experience in day to day driving has shown a measurable improvement of gas mileage. If I express this as getting an extra gallon's distance from a tank and I refill every nine or ten days, that's thirty five or forty gallons of gas in dollar's worth to me. It's been a 600 mile test so far, in another month and a half or so I'll be taking a 1500 mile trip, almost all highway. Hoping to beat my just-under 26MPG average.

As always, your mileage may vary. But I'm getting closer to what Ford advertised.

IMG_20200915_162827082.jpg

Engmus

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Information Technology
Appreciate the data Racket, tell your contact to release the damn thing already. :crazy:

OP
OP
Racket

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
I raised the hood to grab this shot.
IMG_20200916_140004347.jpg

And my testing will have to start all over again. After resetting my trip odometer leaving the gas station, I got a total of about 15 miles on it and while on the way to work this morning the engine started running rough and I got the "Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power" message.

I suspect bad gas? Have an appointment at my Ford dealership in the AM. Before leaving work I used the SCT box to reset the PCM to stock (just in case) and cleared the Keep Alive Memory (KAM) but no change on the way home.

No way the Big Mouth had anything to do with this of course.

Stay tuned?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician

And my testing will have to start all over again. After resetting my trip odometer leaving the gas station, I got a total of about 15 miles on it and while on the way to work this morning the engine started running rough and I got the "Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power" message.

I suspect bad gas? Have an appointment at my Ford dealership in the AM. Before leaving work I used the SCT box to reset the PCM to stock (just in case) and cleared the Keep Alive Memory (KAM) but no change on the way home.

Stay tuned?
Be aware that if the check engine light doeant come back on from now to your appointment then the tune will be your most likely cause. Just an FYI

deton8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2008 F150 Foose Edition, 2006 Pontiac GTO, 2004 Buell XB12S, 1995 Yamaha TW200
Vehicle Showcase
So is the Big Mouth just the scoop under the cowl behind the grill or does it also include a bigger airbox scoop like the one aFe just released? I was hoping it included both.
aFe_airbox_scoop.jpg

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger

Stay tuned?
Hmm, it similar to what I made but a bit more finished. I was hoping it would be connected to stock scoop like their other models. I may pass if this is all there is.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
So if your driving in rain.. or snow how well does this work? Seems like driving on the highway in a snow storm the intake would pack full of slush, snow and muck.

Reason I ask:

1.0 I had a friend that bought a brand new GMC pickup in the winter, this would have been maybe 8 years ago. He was driving it on I-70 heading west out of Denver in a snow storm and the truck kept loosing power to the point that when he got to the Eisenhour tunnel he had to pull over. He popped the hood and opened the slot for the air cleaner and it was packed solid with snow and slush.

2.0 I installed Shrockworks Rock Sliders on my Ranger. Driving last winter in a snow storm I kept hearing a thunking noise. I pulled over and ice had built up between the slider and rocker panel. Since the cab is rubber mounted it moves independent of the rock slider. I contacted shrockworks and they said, "We're in Texas... we never thought about that".

Sometimes these products aren't real world tested before they are released to consumers... Caveat Emptor
Sponsored