Valet Key???????? Is this really, not a thing anymore?

Murph

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
customer service
Recently, I wanted to catch a sunrise, while kayaking on the river, so I usually lock my keys inside my cab, while I use FordPass App on my phone to unlock my vehicle when I'm finished. So when I was wet and cold and ready to get into my dry truck, the app wasn't working properly and I no longer had my unlock/lock and start functions. I had to wait about an 1.5 hr before speaking to customer service, which they were able to restart their systems and my unlock feature was back in service before, getting off hold while waiting for assistance.

I learned that even if they hadn't fixed this computer/server issue at the time, the operator for CS, couldn't have assisted me with unlocking my vehicle remotely. I honestly didn't see that coming.

So when I was at the dealer, I asked to get a valet key made. They quoted, $130 for the key fob, w/ $80 fee for the chip. I felt like they were missing my point and I walked away from the conversation.

Just found HU101 replacement blade flip keys w/ H94 keyway 5 pack for $12.49....or a Ford Transponder key part Strattec 5923293 for $22.43.

I'm just trying to unlock my locked driver side door so I can get my keys out, when my FordPass app goes out of service. I have an XLT, so that door has an actual lock. Has anyone else had an issue or better idea solution???
Sponsored

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
I've had a "dumb" key hidden on my Lariat since day 1. Had a mobile key guy program a 3rd fob and a 4th plain key.

Hoping Ford adds the "Phone as a Key" feature from Lincoln Way to Ford Pass at some point.

cb4017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
That Strattec 5923293 key is interesting. Seems it would be perfect to stick in a magnetic key box. Wonder what programing would cost?

Some years ago I came to find myself standing outside my 08 JKU Wrangler with the doors locked, keys in the ignition and engine running. Oops!

My solution was to get a dumb key cut, put it in a magnetic key box and hide it on a frame rail. Since it was not programmed it would not run my Jeep but would unlock the door.

Think I'll be doing the same thing with my Ranger. Even better if I can get a programmable key.

Last edited:

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
better idea solution???
Hide a key someplace on the truck?

If you are carrying your phone.... why can't you carry a key with you?

Be less reliant on technology... and avoid the issues associated with said technology.

Last edited:

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
There was a similar thread on this here:
I take my key with me when boating and use a float. Phone goes with me in a dry bag. but I don't trust it to unlock the truck as the app or cell service can be spotty. Worst case if the key gets wet, the truck won't start but at least I can get into it. My Edge has the keypad and it works well and I have chosen to lock the key in the car in a few situations.

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
My wife's Jag F-Pace has a cool waterproof wrist band that acts as a key fob. It activates when you lock the keys in the car with the wrist band out of the car. We use it all the time when going to the beach. Upon return to the vehicle you simply place the wrist band near the J in Jaguar on the rear hatch and it unlocks the car. I don't know why more vehicles don't have this type of feature.

Jda1981

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I was leaving on a hike and locked my keys in the truck accidentally. Well a two mile walk in the snow to signal to call a friend to bring me the extra key. About an hour later I’m rescued. I think I’m going to mount a Kerry pad in the gas door and hope I don’t run into the battery issues with it some people have

OP
OP
Murph

Murph

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
customer service
Thanks everyone for the help. I appreciate hearing different perspectives.

I am a believer of less is more, and I'd rather just carry a key only, but I've really enjoyed using my phone to take pics while I'm out. I do have a lock box, but it can only fit a normal size key, not this current one. I've always wanted one of those keypads on the door, but I've never added one after the fact.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
I thought our Key Fobs had a key tucked inside?
I just changed the dual batteries in the wife's key fob (2017 Mustang) and it has a key in there.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
No question, I won't leave my key inside my vehicle. Ever. No hidden keys, nada.

Trailhead break-ins are a real problem. Leave your key in there and your truck is gone.

I carry my stuff with me. Yeah, it means I have to carry more things, but it helps security a notable amount. A smashed window is a lot easier to deal with than a completely missing vehicle.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
The more stuff that you carry while hiking the more you build your muscles. Then you wont need a damper, win win. :giggle:
I never could understand why bike riders try to lighten their bikes so to make it easier to ride. ?

Whiskeybilt

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
chef
I leave my truck running with a bunch of dogs inside when I go into stores a lot. They like AC and radio and I have to keep the windows up, because some idiot will stick their hand in to pet them. I'd prefer to have an extra door key so I can lock it.
Sponsored