First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
historically i have kept a spare key hidden under the chassis for if i am locked out, etc.

the manual makes it sound like without the associated key fob you can get into the car, but not run it.

i called ford to ask whether they cut new keys and they told me:

1) if you unlocked the car with a key but don’t have the associated fob, it won’t run the car

2) they don’t make metal keys. just electronic fob/key combo.

3) it costs 285+80$ service to get a single new key

are all those things true? is there a workaround? is there really no way to get a cheap metal key cut with their proprietary ford pattern to at least get me into the car if i lock myself out while camping?
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
historically i have kept a spare key hidden under the chassis for if i am locked out, etc.

the manual makes it sound like without the associated key fob you can get into the car, but not run it.

1) if you unlocked the car with a key but don’t have the associated fob, it won’t run the car

are all those things true? is there a workaround? is there really no way to get a cheap metal key cut with their proprietary ford pattern to at least get me into the car if i lock myself out while camping?
I believe 1 and 3 are true - I'm not sure about #2.

I don't know if you have a hitch or not, but what I opted to do is to use a hitch safe:
http://hitchsafe.com/
I put my fob in there when I go hiking and I know it will always be there when I return. I used to have a hide a key under my truck with a spare key, but this has worked out very well for me.

Willcuts93

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Flex '19 Ranger
Occupation
Technician
I'll see if I can get you a part number. Ford makes a backup key that is just a blade. It works in the door but won't start the truck because of pats.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Hi Char,

I believe that a Locksmith and some Ford dealers have the capability to make an access key, but this only opens the doors...you cannot start the vehicle due to Passive AntiTheft System (PATS). The vehicle needs to know the key is specifically for your vehicle. So if you lost your keys, you are still stranded but the truck is now open... I recall somewhere on this forum a Ford dealer charged $25 for a metal key to open the doors... Otherwise it is big bucks to a spare as you indicate in #3.

This whole government regulation for PATS has resulted in so much Car Jacking as the thief needs the unique key associated with the vehicle.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
charwest

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
And a cell signal for the truck
yes. we noticed the fordpass was basically useless both of the last couple places we camped.

the third party ford laser key blank looks promising. ill have to call around and see if anyone local will cut/program these.

hitch safe looks like a good option too. great tips.

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
I have hopes that Ford will extend their "Phone as a Key" feature from the Lincolns to the Ford Pass app. That with an "access key" would be a great solution.

For both my Lariats, I had a 3rd fob/key set up along with a "dumb" access key cut to stash in a hide-away box.

Charley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCrew XLT FX4 Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Purchased a spare key blade to hide somewhere (unlocks door and tailgate only)
The package is for the blade only.
Plus I purchased a spare key fob.
I have a history of keys running away and hiding from me.

keys-jpg.jpg

The spare key blade was 25$
I had called 8 dealerships about replacement keys and no one mentioned the blade only to open the truck option. Only when I showed up to buy the remote fob/key did the parts guy mention it.
CALL NUMEROUS DEALERSHIPS, THE PRICE FOR MY REPLACEMENT KEY FOB varied from $129 to $229 and labor to program from $55 to $125

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
They are proud of these keys that probably only cost a few bucks to make..

Pat Herbert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 corvette and a 2019 Ranger

Get the door code pad works great! Only about a hundred bucks. I always get it on all my Fords just punch in your code!

Anne

First Name
Anne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red Ranger

I had a key made at a locksmith for about $40. I like to keep it in my pocket. It opens the door, but the alarm begins to start. Just need to turn on the truck with the real key, and the alarm stops.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Why not go with the keyless pad? It's $100 one time and it's always going to be there for when you're camping.

https://accessories.ford.com/vehicles/ranger/2019/electronics/keyless-entry.html

My luck the battery would die on mine before I truly needed it :). The battery is "allegedly" not replaceable on those stick on button pads.

The key is not an uncommon part, any decent keymaker can cut a blank key to fit the doors, but the alarm will most certainly go off.

Put a waterproof momentary switch behind the grille that actuates the drivers side door lock, it would be like 10$ worth of button and wire, and as long as the truck battery is alive, you can unlock the door :)
Sponsored