First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
You may be right on that. Something to also consider with NASCAR as they hit those banks at extremely high speeds keeping them level on those Banks they hit. We on the other hand have pickup trucks that we need to be careful with when going slow in the off-road.
The centrifugal force generated by their speed is keeping them planted in their line, but they wouldn't fall in to the infield in any case. Notice that during a caution when they are tending to a crash on the banks, the ambulances and tow vehicles are stationary on the 33Âş banking; about the pitch of an average suburban house roof.
Sponsored

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I'd say that's a pretty liberal CG location. I would estimate near the Ford emblem in the pic you used, or at least closer to it.

Also, comparing to a low to the ground NASCAR travelling at 170mph around an oval is not very accurate. If you go fast enough and maintain at least a 1g turn you could drive our trucks at a 90deg bank angle or even upside down. Our trucks can't go that fast under their own power mind you, but it is technically possible.

Our trucks aren't that wide in relation to how tall they are either. Quite close to a square. So I would say stock truck might be in the realm of 45deg of static bank. As stated bouncing and off-road conditions will reduce that considerably.
Yup. Once your centrifugal force is great enough, you can do some pretty amazing stunts!

Fear.jpeg

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
You may be right on that. Something to also consider with NASCAR as they hit those banks at extremely high speeds keeping them level on those Banks they hit. We on the other hand have pickup trucks that we need to be careful with when going slow in the off-road.

Absolutely!

Race car banks count on centrifugal force to create an artificially low COG that keeps the car pegged to the track in much the same way your Hotwheels can make that double loop when the car is totally inverted.

iles.wordpress.com%2F2015%2F04%2Fhot-wheels-loop-2.jpg

But without speed and the high probability that hitting a rock or bump could pop the suspension and vehicle up you will want to maintain a HIGH safety margin on your lean.

I rolled my first Ford Ranger on a dirt road going less than 30mph on level ground.
Sponsored