Off Road display

FX4inDE

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I was in 4 High today and engaged the locking rear. I remembered the off road info display and pulled it up.

Questions:

1) Shouldn't the picture in the middle show the front drivetrain engaged?
2) Do we know which wheels actually have power to them (left rear and right front)? Unless of course the rear is locked?

Off road Info.jpg
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
To answer your question yes when you were in 4hi or 4lo it's going to show that the front is engaged. That's what the light blue is. The bright orange is showing that your rear Locker is engaged. That I do like because I do not have a rear locker and therefore I was not aware of that. When you are in 2 wheel drive and you go to the offroad screen it will show the front axle in front drive shaft and dark blue like the rest of the screen. As for which wheel has power to it? Technically all four wheels have power to them until one gets off the ground and then that one has all the power for that axle. Obviously for a locker it becomes a different story.

Nick Barber

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat, FX4, White Platinum, Chrome, Tow
Occupation
Program Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Notice the redundancy in the info row just below the panel display.

OP
OP
FX4inDE

FX4inDE

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Thanks. I do now note that it's all light blue in 2WD. I also see the redundancy. I think the display could be a bit more clear but at least I understand it now.

Regarding the wheels, I assumed the front and back were both open differentials with no type of posi-traction unless the rear locker was engaged. I remember lifting old cars in the rear and spinning a rear tire to see if they both moved forward (indicating posi). Actually I did that to a 2002 F150 to prove to a body shop manager that they had installed an open rear instead of a posi during repair. He admitted his mistake and got the correct rear, which I checked again in his parking lot...both wheels then turned. I also had a different 4x4 that I thought had a front posi option, but I never tried to physically check that in some way.

Therefore I thought I only had one front and one rear wheel powered in the Ranger untiIl I locked the rear...giving me three.

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
Ranger like, like Toyota Nissan Jeep pretty much everyone modern, uses brake limited slip as its traction control to effectively turn the open diff into a posi diff. The brakes trigger on a spinning wheel and engine torque transfers via the open diff to the other wheel. It’s actually pretty effective. So non fx4 both open diffs can have power at two wheels of four front or back, and fx4 with locker is both back wheels and one front wheel, great for climbing inclines.

OP
OP
FX4inDE

FX4inDE

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Interesting. Thank you.

krisrayner

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Ranger FX2
Any idea of the max lean angle on our trucks. The display is cool but without an idea of the max lean, it’s not very usefull

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Any idea of the max lean angle on our trucks. The display is cool but without an idea of the max lean, it’s not very usefull
I am not positive on this but I want to say the max is between 25-30° in general. If someone needs to correct me then please do so.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
I don't have, or at least haven't seen this display yet. Is it an FX4 / Lariat only feature?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I don't have, or at least haven't seen this display yet. Is it an FX4 / Lariat only feature?
Th and to Forscan if you have the XLT you can add the offroad screen. It comes with the FX4 package but can be added from Forscan.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Part of the FX4 package. In XL trim, also requires STX Package.
Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 08.02.21.png

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I am not positive on this but I want to say the max is between 25-30° in general. If someone needs to correct me then please do so.
Sounds a little low IMHO. Think of Daytona Int'l Raceway with its 33Âș banking. The center of gravity is defined as: "the point at which the entire weight of a body may be considered as concentrated so that if supported at this point the body would remain in equilibrium in any position" - Mirriam Webster. AN 8 foot 2x4 will tip over standing on end much easier than if it is laying on its 4" side.

Below, I used a hypothetical center of gravity to illustrate an example: the actual cg may be higher or lower or more left/right of center, but I think it's fairly close. Also, this is in a static situation. If you were actually bouncing along an incline, momentum from hopping along the surface could carry you over the point of no return at much less of an angle. Adding lift will rase the cg, decreasing the angle slightly.

Untitled 2.pages.jpg

Last edited:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sounds a little low IMHO. Think of Daytona Int'l Raceway with its 33Âș banking. The center of gravity is defined as: "the point at which the entire weight of a body may be considered as concentrated so that if supported at this point the body would remain in equilibrium in any position" - Mirriam Webster. AN 8 foot 2x4 will tip over standing on end much easier than if it is laying on its 4" side.

Below, I used a hypothetical center of gravity to illustrate an example: the actual cg may be higher or lower or more left/right of center, but I think it's fairly close. Also, this is in a static situation. If you were actually bouncing along an incline, momentum from hopping along the surface could carry you over the point of no return at much less of an angle. Adding lift will rase the cg, decreasing the angle slightly.

Untitled 2.pages.jpg
You may be right on that. Something to also consider with NASCAR as they hit those banks at extremely high speeds keeping them level on those Banks they hit. We on the other hand have pickup trucks that we need to be careful with when going slow in the off-road.
Sponsored