First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 xlt ranger 62 galaxie
Occupation
Truck driver
Thank you Floyd for posting the video's, they were very helpful and appreciated.
Sponsored

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
And not near as much tilt as the old days either.
But it does seem to be enough.
not for me, but I'm dealing with it. :) another couple of inches and I wouldn't have to compromise on configuring up the seat.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
not for me, but I'm dealing with it. :) another couple of inches and I wouldn't have to compromise on configuring up the seat.
I hear ya!
But I once had a Datsun with a bench seat which was so bad that I had to raise the front of the seat frame just to stay on the seat, As I recall ... It did have a steering wheel, but I had to add a "lace-on" cover just to get a grip. I needed a good grip 'cause it rode so rough I could run over a dime and tell what year it was.

XLT and me

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 xlt ranger 62 galaxie
Occupation
Truck driver
We live in the era of the airbag, lawyers ain't ever going to let that wheel get close enough for real comfort again.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
well, we all would like recaro seats.
this got me thinking....My son in law's brother picked up a par of Recaro seats from a wrecked 5.0 an put them in his 2019 5.0. I think he paid $1200 an they were a $2700 option so that's not bad. That side bolster on them might be bad for a truck you're climbing up into instead of a car you're sitting down into.

FordSpeed

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX4 Supercrew
I know this is an old thread, but I was searching around since I find my driver seat a little on the uncomfortable side. Granted, my preivous truck was a '13 F-150, but still feel like there was a little room for improvement. I found some pictures of the difference between the drivers and passenger seats as seen below and mentioned previously in this thread.

RangerDriverSeat.jpg

RangerPassSeat.jpg

Called the "Occupant Weight Sensor" but haven't found apart No, but it shows it in this diagram
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/body/soft-trim/seat-back-pad-12970703-1

I don't need the whole sensor, I just want to replicate the fabric that's on the underside of it.

rangerOcWeSen.jpg

Last edited:

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
With the way the pedal box is set up and how soft the ass part of the seat is, I've started to develop pain in my right leg, lower and upper. I've tried 400 different seating positions and can't figure it out but I've noticed that if I slouch in the chair and put more space between the back of my knee and the seat, the comfort in the leg increases dramatically. What I've noticed is that doing this relieves pressure on the back of my thigh. So I'm going to lift the seat cover and put some weightlifting mat on top of the springs and see if that is enough to elevate my ass in the seat high enough to get the pressure off my thigh. The fact the brake pedal is left of center in the pedal box is a little weird. Find myself left foot braking a lot.

Nik11z

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Raptor
Ok. I have mostly fixed the issue. Took some digging around but if you look under both the driver and passenger seats you will notice a stark difference. I found this out after sitting in the driver side, then moving to the passenger to clean the windshield. This was the first time I had sat in the passenger seat and noticed the seat felt noticeably firmer. The passenger seat has additional equipment installed to account for the airbag sensor that uses a pressure/capillary tube to determine the passenger weight. This adds a diaphragm between the cushion and the suspension spring.

So, I looked at the driver's side and discovered there is nothing between the foam and the springs which allows the cushion to deflect more (aka sink more).

Without removing the seat I was able to detach the front part of the seat cover from the frame without any tools by pushing up an pulling inboard on the plastic retainers at the same time.

I cut a piece of 1/2 high density foam (from a camping bed roll) to fit the seat tray to cover only the springs and re-installed the cover. Getting the cover back on took a little patience but start - finish only took about 30 min.

The seating position is much better and the lumbar is where it is supposed to be. Two days, and much happier!

It is easily reversible if you don't like it or want to experiment with different thicknesses of padding or material. I almost used a section of jute padding which may be a better material if this turns out to be too firm.

Honestly, I think this may be an oversight from the factory by not having anything, not even a anti-chaffing material between the soft foam and the springs. In my experience the factory seats typically have a HD cloth material (burlap in 60's cars) to isolate the spring from the foam. I would bet there are others who will have issues with sagging seats after a very short time.

IMG_1928.jpg
Hey mate would you be able to send a video on how you did it?

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Re: Driver's Seat Comfort - Lariat Seats

I know an old thread but after 16 months of ownership of the Ranger and trying every seat adjustment available in an attempt to get an OMG this seat is comfortable feeling I finally gave in and took it to the dealer just to see if they would do anything.

My issue, Leg Cramps while driving and cannot get it to a comfortable position, for long term driving.

My best comfort position is having the seat fully up, this gets me into a comfort zone of seeing over the hood (distance judging - spacing etc)

Once fully up, I then adjust the seat bottom tilt fully up, this gives me foot placement comfort, the transition from the gas to the brake without having to raise my leg too much.
The close placement of the gas pedal and brake enhances this requirement and need.
The issue with this (for me) is that my legs are at such an angle that the circulation is cut off in my right leg.

So, i decided to purchase and try the Seat Jackers, I went full 3/4-inch lift on the fronts for a week and no help in comfort.
I was able to dial down the seat bottom tilt adjustment though as the Seat Jackers were compensating for this instead.

This did however HIGHLIGHT the root issue of the seat cushion and that is the (BUTT) part of the seat cushion flexes downwards (SINKS) and the front half (Leg Support) stays firm.

So, my second adjustment - Was to take the full 3/4 inch lift out of the Seat Jackers and only use the 3/8 Spacer Blocks and tried this for 2-weeks.
The sinking feeling was still present and noted just not as bad.
So, I removed the Seat Jackers entirely and went back to stock setting.

Other things I have tried:
Various seat cushions - Stadium Cushion, Dining Room Chair Cushion, Car Seat Cushion (seat cover section of auto parts stores) and folded hand towels.
All of which were no help.

For comfort relief I can take my left foot and place flat on the floorboard and push up, this raises my but out of the sinking cushion, but my left leg is supporting my body weight.
To picture this feeling, think if you were sitting on the open end of a 5 Gallon bucket and the only support you have is the sides of the bucket.

So, at this point I decided to take to the dealer and see if anything can be done (warranty)
I was not expecting anything from them, but it was worth a try.
As there is not anything wrong with the Seat, just the design of it.

Service Writer was understanding of my issue but stated that Ford would not do anything about it as there is not anything actually worn or broken.
He suggested taking back to the dealer I purchased the truck from and seeing if they would good faith a new seat, but that would not fix my issue anyway.
or take to an upholstery shop and have a pad or cushion made to make it more comfortable.

I was expecting that was going to be the outcome of my visit and was waiting for the outcome to proceeded further in a resolution.

As posted above the Driver's seat and Passenger seat differ, with that Occupant Sensor and the padding that goes with it. (Driver's seat does not have it)
I have only driven my truck, so I have never sat in the Passenger Seat for any length of time, only cleaning the dash / windows etc. and testing for comfort differences.

Not a measurable testing method but if you open the door and take your left hand and push downwards on the (But) part of the seat and then take your right hand and feel under the bottom of the cushion you can feel the flexing downwards motion of the cushion (The Sinking)
you will also notice you are feeling the foam on the bottom of the cushion.

Repeat that procedure on the Passenger Seat, you will note, LESS flexing and also feel the padding from the Occupant Sensor.

I found a used Occupant Sensor on Ebay for the Passenger Seat, purchased and await delivery.
Pricey for just a pad as I cannot use the electric portion and have zero need for it.
I also purchased a camping bed (1/2-inch HD Foam) as a backup solution and will cut to fit if needed.

From just swapping from the Driver's to the Passenger Seat and sitting in it for 10 minutes or so and simulating leg movements as if I was driving, I note a HUGE difference in comfort.
So that was my decision maker and that was to get the Driver's seat as an exact match to the Passenger Seat. (Purchase the Occupant Sensor)
Try that First and then open it back up and add or alter the padding with the HD Foam
I am trying to make this a (One and Done) procedure in getting the cushion raised and back on without issues.

Will update after install and trial use.
As I am sure I am not the only owner who is experiencing this seat comfort issue.

Canadian Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amsoil.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Amsoil Dealer
I get a pain in my driving knee and sometimes my hip on longer commutes. Still trying to get it figured out.
I've got the same issue, After driving my brother's Volvo XC70 on a 6 hour adventure and having the same aches & pains I've got the problem narrowed down to old age and worn out joints. Volvo's have the most comfortable car seats on the planet.

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
Another example of how we can all be so different. I find the Ranger seats to be exceedingly comfortable. Even the warden also finds the Ranger to be very comfortable on long trips.... driving or riding. Only vehicle I've had in years that I can drive on long trips without hip pain eventually turning the trip into a routine of stop every 1 1/2 hours and walk a bit.

Of course my Ranger could be more comfortable than others because.... you know..... blue.

Last edited:

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Another example of how we can all so different. I find the Ranger seats to be exceedingly comfortable. Even the warden also finds the Ranger to be very comfortable on long trips.... driving or riding. Only vehicle I've had in years that I can drive on long trips without hip pain eventually turning the trip into a routine of stop every 1 1/2 hours and walk a bit.

Of course my Ranger could be more comfortable than others because.... you know..... blue.
I'll second that opinion, only with Iconic Silver !!!
I find the seats very comfortable, especially with the addition of Seat Jackers. When we're on the road, towing, we will do at least 6 hours driving, and can do that with no trouble....feel fine after and could do more if necessary. And, sometimes it's for several days in a row. The co-pilot loves the passenger seat...says it's better than her Subi Outback Touring seat.
Just depends on our individual physical make-up's as to "comfort".

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
My seats are hard and uncomfortable. I had to get some quality seat cushions to solve the problem...

Seat cushion 2.jpg
Sponsored