Uncomfortable seats

Fordmandan87

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, Supercrew, FX4, leveled
Has anyone else experienced discomfort in their leg while driving their ranger? I've only had it happen just recently but its only in my ranger I have the issue. FWIW I drive a truck for a living and sit for hours on end without an issue
Sponsored

Last edited:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I did when I first was getting the seat adjusted, but not since I got it dialed in.

Fordstanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 1969 ProStreet Mustang, 94 Lightning, 2019 XLT Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone else experienced discomfort in their leg while driving their ranger? I've only had it happen just recently but its only in my ranger I have the issue. FWIW I drive a truck for a living and sit for hours on end without an issue
Yup. Same. I am thinking the power seats are better because the front of the std seats is a bit to high. Try dripping the seat down a bit and see if that’s better.

My daily commute is about 1 to 1.2 hours one way so I notice the seat cushion density is almost to soft.

If the front of the seat could be adjusted, I thunk it would be better.

Lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe/Tundra/Fusion
Adjusting the tilt where you’re thigh rests is a big factor. I have chronic arthritis in my right knee from sports and have had to learn how to deal with finding a seating position in new vehicles. 1. Try to get used to your hip being even or above the top of your thigh. Like how you sit in a kitchen or desk chair. Sometimes this Means you you will have to have the front of seat tilted down just a bit. Not falling forward down but just a tad more than you may have now. 2. You can try to raise seat pedestal just to a little higher point than you are now to create a more trucklike position 3. Scoot seat back to try an increase angle of shin towards the pedals. This will pull pressure off your leg. 4. Your body will naturally adjust to the new mechanics of your vehicle. Don’t give up it may take a couple months.

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
I get a pain in my driving knee and sometimes my hip on longer commutes. Still trying to get it figured out.

OP
OP
Fordmandan87

Fordmandan87

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, Supercrew, FX4, leveled
After putting some miles on it I've managed to get a comfy butt groove worn in to the seat. It's no longer a pita lol

Fordstanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ok. I have mostly fixed the issue. Took some digging around but if you look under both the driver and passenger seats you will notice a stark difference. I found this out after sitting in the driver side, then moving to the passenger to clean the windshield. This was the first time I had sat in the passenger seat and noticed the seat felt noticeably firmer. The passenger seat has additional equipment installed to account for the airbag sensor that uses a pressure/capillary tube to determine the passenger weight. This adds a diaphragm between the cushion and the suspension spring.

So, I looked at the driver's side and discovered there is nothing between the foam and the springs which allows the cushion to deflect more (aka sink more).

Without removing the seat I was able to detach the front part of the seat cover from the frame without any tools by pushing up an pulling inboard on the plastic retainers at the same time.

I cut a piece of 1/2 high density foam (from a camping bed roll) to fit the seat tray to cover only the springs and re-installed the cover. Getting the cover back on took a little patience but start - finish only took about 30 min.

The seating position is much better and the lumbar is where it is supposed to be. Two days, and much happier!

It is easily reversible if you don't like it or want to experiment with different thicknesses of padding or material. I almost used a section of jute padding which may be a better material if this turns out to be too firm.

Honestly, I think this may be an oversight from the factory by not having anything, not even a anti-chaffing material between the soft foam and the springs. In my experience the factory seats typically have a HD cloth material (burlap in 60's cars) to isolate the spring from the foam. I would bet there are others who will have issues with sagging seats after a very short time.

IMG_1928.jpg

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Good job! It is nice to see someone take that much initiative to make his truck conform to better meet his needs long term!:like:

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
Ok. I have mostly fixed the issue. Took some digging around but if you look under both the driver and passenger seats you will notice a stark difference. I found this out after sitting in the driver side, then moving to the passenger to clean the windshield. This was the first time I had sat in the passenger seat and noticed the seat felt noticeably firmer. The passenger seat has additional equipment installed to account for the airbag sensor that uses a pressure/capillary tube to determine the passenger weight. This adds a diaphragm between the cushion and the suspension spring.

So, I looked at the driver's side and discovered there is nothing between the foam and the springs which allows the cushion to deflect more (aka sink more).

Without removing the seat I was able to detach the front part of the seat cover from the frame without any tools by pushing up an pulling inboard on the plastic retainers at the same time.
You are right about the difference in seats. It feels fairly significant now that I am trying it out. Even still, it seems the the rear of the seats curves down. I feel like there like my rear is sitting in a pocket which is causing some pain. Had to switch out my seat at work from one of those fancy web seats to something for firm and supportive.

Could you be more specific on the location of the plastic retainers?

I am not seeing anything obvious but then I have the 8 way adjustable seats and there is a bunch of electronic/mechanical garbage underneath. Attachment should be the same though.

Honestly, If I cant find a way to make these seats better, I will cut my losses and move on. That drivers seat starts bothering me pretty quick. I would be tempted to take it to an auto upholsterer and have him redo the foam if I can't do something to fix it.

Did a back to back with our Rogue seats and for me it is night and day. The Rogue seats are simple, no fancy lumbar, with supportive foam and good ergonomics that are instantly comfortable and that with 50k miles. They just agree with my bad back.

Last edited:

Fordstanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The clips are under the seat pan. For you, I suggest removing the seat. Mine is not power.

Important to note is most airbag equipped cars now will throw a SRS code if you disconnect any electrical connectors under the seat if the key is on. It won’t reset with a basic code reader, you’ll need a scanner that can specifically read / reset air bag codes. I’ve learned this on BMW, Land Rovers and Mercedes. Ford May be different but just beware.

I’d recommend going to an upholstery shop you can trust.

IMO this is something of an oversight by Ford. I drove my lighting the other day and it was 10 times better and it’s a 94. How can a new car not correctly support a regular build driver? Avg 5’10” - 180 lbs medium build. I can only imagine what is like for a larger frame person.

All of my other cars and trucks have better support. That said, my mod is much better than factory.

Still mind bending on how to keep the Airbag design spec and installing the Recaro’s

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
The clips are under the seat pan. For you, I suggest removing the seat. Mine is not power.

Important to note is most airbag equipped cars now will throw a SRS code if you disconnect any electrical connectors under the seat if the key is on. It won’t reset with a basic code reader, you’ll need a scanner that can specifically read / reset air bag codes. I’ve learned this on BMW, Land Rovers and Mercedes. Ford May be different but just beware.

I’d recommend going to an upholstery shop you can trust.

IMO this is something of an oversight by Ford. I drove my lighting the other day and it was 10 times better and it’s a 94. How can a new car not correctly support a regular build driver? Avg 5’10” - 180 lbs medium build. I can only imagine what is like for a larger frame person.

All of my other cars and trucks have better support. That said, my mod is much better than factory.

Still mind bending on how to keep the Airbag design spec and installing the Recaro’s
Thanks @Fordstanger. I think I'll do a full solution at an upholstery shop. Cover up the springs, firmer seat foam and might take out that back wedge that continues around from the side bolsters. Speaking of bolsters, might see if he can increase the bolstering slightly without major changes.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
One of the better points of the Ranger in almost all road tests was the nice seats. If you have a problem then it is you that is not normal. Doctors say every hour of sitting you should get out of your vehicle/chair and walk around to get the circulation flowing.

SRAces

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2015 Mercedes-Benz GLA, 2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 Special Edition
Occupation
USAF (retired)
Vehicle Showcase
I love the seats! The seats on the F-150 SuperCrew Lariat 4X4 weren't as comfortable when it was new as the Ranger seats are to me. ;)

MSG W

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat everything on it but Chrome Package
Vehicle Showcase
I have over 4K miles this includes a trip over 1K each way. I have no seat issues.
Sponsored