First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Now, go back and compare base models of each truck, or better yet what $26000 actually buys in each.
Toyota's most loyal customers are those who have never driven anything else, not the other way around.
Pretty clear cut who the winner is...

Comparison.jpg
Sponsored

John Lyman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x2 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
I understand paying over sticker for a collector car when they are only making X - but massed produce you are right - but then again Jeep people are a little crazy (said the former Jeep guy).

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
You must be a youngster if you think a 2010 article is "out of date"?

If you have a perfectly good running Pinto and decide to replace it with a Prius to save the planet and help the environment... you are on a fools errand. Keep the Pinto, it's existing carbon footprint is smaller than what a new Prius would be.

Now if you want a "safer" car, or a newer car, or a hybrid car... 'cause that's just what you want, fine. But don't brag about saving the planet, you are not. Quite the contrary.
Actually, I was alive for the whole run of the now legendary Pinto. When you work in the tech sector, 10 years is a long time. Don’t you think there may have been some improvements in hybrids over the past 10 years?

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Actually, I was alive for the whole run of the now legendary Pinto. When you work in the tech sector, 10 years is a long time. Don’t you think there may have been some improvements in hybrids over the past 10 years?
No improvements yet that reduce their carbon footprints significantly. Battery packs are notoriously nasty components.

Sorry, those are the facts. It's an inconvenient truth that the green deal folks don't want to recognize.

Deleted member 1634

No improvements yet that reduce their carbon footprints significantly. Battery packs are notoriously nasty components.

Sorry, those are the facts. It's an inconvenient truth that the green deal folks don't want to recognize.
when we talk about lithium from the source, this is a good read. not particularly exciting, but gives good insight on the whole process.

http://www.lithiummine.com/home

in my opinion, theres always a positive and a negative to any thing.
finding the balance is the hard part.
take the tailgate damper for instance. positives, and negatives.
I agree that batteries, and electronics in general, are not the most green, but does that mean we shouldn't try? I hear the argument all the time that solar and wind and nuclear and all the "green" power sources aren't as good as burning "good old" coal and fossil fuels, so we should just abandon them. But if we put a little time and effort and money into them, they'll one day be better. Just because a hybrid or an all electric vehicle still has a carbon footprint doesn't mean it isn't a step in the right direction. Burning coal and fossil fuels will never get cleaner, but at least hybrids and electric vehicles have potential to be cleaner. So why not try to be better instead of accepting the status quo as "good enough".

And for the record, I don't think electric vehicles should be the future. I still think hydrogen or another type of fuel is what really needs to happen.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I agree that batteries, and electronics in general, are not the most green, but does that mean we shouldn't try? I hear the argument all the time that solar and wind and nuclear and all the "green" power sources aren't as good as burning "good old" coal and fossil fuels, so we should just abandon them. But if we put a little time and effort and money into them, they'll one day be better. Just because a hybrid or an all electric vehicle still has a carbon footprint doesn't mean it isn't a step in the right direction. Burning coal and fossil fuels will never get cleaner, but at least hybrids and electric vehicles have potential to be cleaner. So why not try to be better instead of accepting the status quo as "good enough".

And for the record, I don't think electric vehicles should be the future. I still think hydrogen or another type of fuel is what really needs to happen.
Sure.. try new stuff. But be honest about the results, the cradle to grave results. From mining materials to making the vehicle to driving and maintaining the vehicle to disposing of the components after the vehicle is no longer viable.

And if there are subsidies (ugh) take those out of the equation too.

What isn't needed is some googly eyed nut job selling snake oil to the masses.

alligators.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 1634

Sure.. try new stuff. But be honest about the results, the cradle to grave results. From mining materials to making the vehicle to driving and maintaining the vehicle to disposing of the components after the vehicle is no longer viable.

And if there are subsidies (ugh) take those out of the equation too.

What isn't needed is some googly eyed nut job selling snake oil to the masses.
There are a lot of things that need to change, no doubt about that. Not just the energy method, but how we gather it, transport it, produce it, design it, recycle it. I didn't say it would be easy or quick. But again, the status quo won't be able to continue forever.

Deleted member 1634

heres a thought to ponder thats way out in left field like religion, democrats winning the next election, and an actual ED drug that works and is cheap.

suppose we leave all that bad oil and gas in the ground to save the earth.....in theory its a great idea right???? earth saved and generations forever live happily on grass and oats

well, what happens when the tectonic plates continue to move around and a volcano pops up right in the middle of that oil or gas field???? hmmmmm?????

it will be fire and brimstone, burning up whats left of the earth in one big fuck you.

so I say we get ahead of the game, continue to burn what we can, while directing technologies to be as efficient and clean burning as possible.
I'm not too worried about that. There are plenty of ways to kill each other and/or the planet, adding another to the list is like adding another straw to the bale.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Surface level CO2 impact is a fairly well established canard.
Migration to the upper atmosphere is not scientifically supported.
Perhaps Jet Air traffic could be examined right after Global warming is established as fact.
Certainly there are more pressing stewardship issues which are less politically charged.

Even if everyone drove a hybrid, they would have to quit driving them to the airport if they wished to have a significant impact on CO2 emissions.
How about hydrogen powered dirigibles? :like:

Last edited:

Mustangman02232

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 ranger
The only Toyota truck that's worth anything to me are the ones powered by the 22RE engine. Beyond that, they're overhyped and overpriced.
I’ve done enough head gaskets on timing chains on Enough of those to say other wise, I will never own another Toyota again, gf has a 4 runner and I can’t even sit straight in it without my head touching the ceiling.

The truck I run up and down the road everyday averages 5.5-6 mpg so that really wasn’t a concern of mine,

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve done enough head gaskets on timing chains on Enough of those to say other wise, I will never own another Toyota again, gf has a 4 runner and I can’t even sit straight in it without my head touching the ceiling.

The truck I run up and down the road everyday averages 5.5-6 mpg so that really wasn’t a concern of mine,
Me too on the 22RE!

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
My 1987 Yoda never had any major engine issues. Just standard maintenance items.

TacoHawkRanger

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Sport; 2013 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
Occupation
Site Developer, USAF
The only Toyota truck that's worth anything to me are the ones powered by the 22RE engine. Beyond that, they're overhyped and overpriced.
I loved the Gen2 Tacoma. That 4.0 was no race engine, but it had plenty of grunt. I used to take it up in the mountains for hours just to trail drive. Had a 1993 22RE Toyota for my first vehicle. Reliable little shit, but passing speed on the highway was a lost cause.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase

a live version of this forum, sitting around a campfire, would have a whole different ambiance and probably alot more laughs, even with the most controversial topics. ?
Gotta admit though, a lot of beer would have been snorted out noses over the Pinto/Prius line :sunglasses:

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gotta admit though, a lot of beer would have been snorted out noses over the Pinto/Prius line :sunglasses:
Maybe after consuming a twelve-pack.:beer::party::puke:
Sponsored