First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
On another forum, there is a guy who traded his Wrangler for a Gladiator. He said it was optioned up and MSRP of $61,000. Said he got it for $52,000. I don't get it either. :frown:
Removable top is a huge plus for many folks. They really are a lot of fun. But the pricing is nuts.
Sponsored

Ranger Roger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Fit, 2004 Honda ST1300abs, 2018 Honda HR-V
i traded my horrible frontier for my ranger. i was also looking at colorado and if jeep made a 2 door gladiator it would have been competition. i don't care about the looks as much as functionality but they are ugly. I'm at that point of no Japanese car ever again because i have never had a half way decent experience with any I've owned. Gimme back my caddy with northstar before ever buying japanese again
I had mostly great experiences with my 2 Nissan King Cab trucks, 1972 and 1983 or so, both before Nissan started to call it the Frontier. It used to be just called the 720 truck! First one rusted away badly in NJ. Second one was better with the rust issue. That was the last time I had a truck. 2020 Ranger next, not a Nissan. Last Ford I had was a green Pinto. That's another story.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Removable top is a huge plus for many folks. They really are a lot of fun. But the pricing is nuts.
I used to like driving around in a convertible...it had a button and the top went down and then if the weather turned another button push put it back up. The top on a Jeep is too much damn effort unless you live somewhere with mild weather and not much rain. (In these parts if you're salty enough to forgo the air conditioning in swamp-like humidity you're going to get soaked by a t-storm anyway. There are a few nice days every spring where you see jeeps with the tops off, the rest of the year you just see shattered dreams. Also one of the reasons I don't want a sun roof crammed down my throat.)

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
The only Toyota truck that's worth anything to me are the ones powered by the 22RE engine. Beyond that, they're overhyped and overpriced.
The 4.0L v6 I have in my Tacoma performs quite well. They are reliable and have much better performance than the current 3.5L v6 in the Tacoma. The only complaint I have with the 4.0L v6 is that it is a thirsty motor.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
The 4.0/5A combination in the 2nd gen Tacoma is a much more pleasant experience than the 3.5/6A in the 3rd gen.

I test drove 5 3rd gen Tacomas thinking that maybe I just tried a bad one.

Asking that transmission to pick the right gear was like asking my wife to pick a restaurant.

"Which gear?"

"Oh, any is fine"

"How about 2nd?"

"Any gear except 2nd is fine"

"Ok, then how about 3rd?"

"No, not that one either"

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I used to like driving around in a convertible...it had a button and the top went down and then if the weather turned another button push put it back up. The top on a Jeep is too much damn effort unless you live somewhere with mild weather and not much rain. (In these parts if you're salty enough to forgo the air conditioning in swamp-like humidity you're going to get soaked by a t-storm anyway. There are a few nice days every spring where you see jeeps with the tops off, the rest of the year you just see shattered dreams. Also one of the reasons I don't want a sun roof crammed down my throat.)
Opions vary. It's not shattered dreams so much as it is we've become fat and lazy as a society. If it isn't electric, with a button, it's to much work.

Carriages, buggies and Model T / A roadsters all had fold down tops.

Our '07 Jeep Hardtop has removable panels that release to remove the sections just above your head, and has a nice storage bag to keep them in

The Softtop isn't difficult to remove once you get used to it. It's a rather ingenious design. We typically drop the top after a hike for the drive home. We also replaced the back seat with a large lockable contractors storage container to lock valuables in.

We've been caught in the rain several times with the top down. You just pull over and put the top up. It's part of the Jeep experience.

It's a Jeep thing.... some folks just don't understand.

Watch this video... you'll learn just how easy it is to remove and install a soft top

Last edited:

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
In The Drive's version of this story, the Ranger "somehow" managed this increase in sales over 1st quarter of 2019.

I can only imagine that the author miss-attributed last year's numbers to a shortage of demand rather than the shortage of supply.

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
If they made a 2 door Gladiator I might consider it but in it's current form it's way to F ing ugly and not as good as the Ranger.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
In The Drive's version of this story, the Ranger "somehow" managed this increase in sales over 1st quarter of 2019.

I can only imagine that the author miss-attributed last year's numbers to a shortage of demand rather than the shortage of supply.
Probably. There were a lot of stupid stories last year focusing on the "fact" that the ranger was doing badly because they weren't selling more than they were making.

Bluebeastsrt

First Name
Big D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger 4X4
I like the gladiator. Just not 50k worth of like.:crazy: Being a Ford/Jeep guy. The ranger was an easy choice.

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Engineer
whats with the Gladiator?
is there really that many people out there with severe brain damage?
I guess I have brain damage since I bought a Gladiator over a Ranger and Colorado. ? test drove all three as well

I'm curious to see what happens to their sales. Almost all of the ones I've seen in my neighborhood replaced wranglers. Do they have an ongoing market that won't just cannibalize sales of other jeeps? I guess we'll see in the next couple of years
it’s my first Jeep, did not replace a Wrangler or any other Jeep