First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2WD XLT SCAB
Occupation
Lineman
I used a u-haul dolly to tow my 66 F100 (hence my screen name) home when I bought it. I was towing with a 2004 Ram 1500. It was not the safest trip I have ever made. The F100 is a heavy truck and was a bit much for the brakes on the Ram. The F100 also barely fit between the fenders on the dolly. The tires actually rubbed the plastic fenders.

I agree with Frenchy that the truck may not fit the trailer anyway. The crown vic swap may make it narrower. I would recommend you do some measuring of both width and weight.

If it is narrow enough maybe a dolly would be a better option.
Sponsored

66F100

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2WD XLT SCAB
Occupation
Lineman
The OP truck is crown vic swapped and likely has a different engine and trans from stock. The Google numbers for weight are irrelevant. If he isn't going to drive it the 600 miles for the trip then it stands to reason that he likely can't get it to a weigh scale.

I would guess that truck is 400 to 500 lbs lighter than stock if it is finished but likely less (reason why it is being towed). I definitely agree about the dolly not having brakes and the trailer likely being to small. OP is going to have to provide us with more details on the truck and do more of their own research.

OP
OP
renewedcaper

renewedcaper

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat
The OP truck is crown vic swapped and likely has a different engine and trans from stock. The Google numbers for weight are irrelevant. If he isn't going to drive it the 600 miles for the trip then it stands to reason that he likely can't get it to a weigh scale.

I would guess that truck is 400 to 500 lbs lighter than stock if it is finished but likely less (reason why it is being towed). I definitely agree about the dolly not having brakes and the trailer likely being to small. OP is going to have to provide us with more details on the truck and do more of their own research.
Those are good assumptions there. It does indeed have a Crown Vic swapped front end, and I swapped to a 390 over the 360 that it came with which was long gone before I got it. I suspect the front is a tick wider than stock but not much, the length is unchanged and height is more better-er, but not really relevant to the trailer.

66F100

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2WD XLT SCAB
Occupation
Lineman
Those are good assumptions there. It does indeed have a Crown Vic swapped front end, and I swapped to a 390 over the 360 that it came with which was long gone before I got it. I suspect the front is a tick wider than stock but not much, the length is unchanged and height is more better-er, but not really relevant to the trailer.
Not assuming, your truck has crown vic steelies, dead give-away! My truck is sporting a warmed over 360 and the original three speed top loader. The engine and trans are hulking iron pieces. The nine inch rear is no light weight either. Did you swap in the crown vic rear or, replace the axles in the nine inch? Either way your truck is still going to be heavy with that Big Block FE out front!

OP
OP
renewedcaper

renewedcaper

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat
Not assuming, your truck has crown vic steelies, dead give-away! My truck is sporting a warmed over 360 and the original three speed top loader. The engine and trans are hulking iron pieces. The nine inch rear is no light weight either. Did you swap in the crown vic rear or, replace the axles in the nine inch? Either way your truck is still going to be heavy with that Big Block FE out front!
The rear is stock with lug adapters. I know it’s a beast for weight but if Ford wants to claim up to 7500lbs towing capacity I didn’t think this would be an issue. I’ll need to chew on this a while.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
They base it off of this. I had the same conversation with ron hoover, a travel trailer dealer, when looking at travel trailers. When properly equipped, the ranger can do 7500.

Screenshot_20210412-141324_Chrome.jpg

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
dolly is even more of a no-go. it doesn't have brakes, and requires that the tow vehicle be 750 pounds heavier than the towed vehicle. so it still has a u-haul requirement that will prevent you from getting it, and has the practical limitation that it's questionably legal in many (most?) states and IMO unsafe anywhere.

(I've seen mixed info on whether there is a braked dolly available, so it's possible that they do exist sometimes or in some places, in which case adjust the above.)
Ah...that makes sense.
Safety first always.
My bad.

Cableranger

First Name
Abraham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Cable tech
I have towed a 2006 Honda Odyssey with a flat auto transport from uhaul . It has a hydraulic break . Had zero problems towing with the ranger . Drove from Minneapolis to Chicago . Didn’t necessarily say I was towing a Honda Odyssey to uhaul as it wasn’t a recommended towing combination on their website

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX, 2010 Mustang
Occupation
Goodyear
Uhaul has to play it safe because their trailers allow next to no way to adjust tongue weight. You pretty much have to have the vehicle all the way forward on the trailer to tie down the wheels. Whatever tongue weight that gets you, that's what you got. With a front heavy vehicle like a pickup truck and a hefty trailer, you could easily exceed max tongue weight, especially if you are already skirting max towing.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Uhaul has to play it safe because their trailers allow next to no way to adjust tongue weight. You pretty much have to have the vehicle all the way forward on the trailer to tie down the wheels. Whatever tongue weight that gets you, that's what you got. With a front heavy vehicle like a pickup truck and a hefty trailer, you could easily exceed max tongue weight, especially if you are already skirting max towing.
Back it in!

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger SuperCrew 4x2 XL
Occupation
Retired police officer
Did somebody say "Back it in"?

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger SuperCrew 4x2 XL
Occupation
Retired police officer
I have towed a 2006 Honda Odyssey with a flat auto transport from uhaul . It has a hydraulic break . Had zero problems towing with the ranger . Drove from Minneapolis to Chicago . Didn’t necessarily say I was towing a Honda Odyssey to uhaul as it wasn’t a recommended towing combination on their website
What did you tell them you were hauling on their trailer?
Sponsored