Towing a U-Haul 5x9 Trailer.....I have questions.

Shelpdogg

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
IT Manager
I have a 2019 XLT FX4 w/tow package. I know the truck has the ability to tow this without any issues. I will be bringing back only a Motorcycle on the trailer that weighs in ~500lbs.
I don't have a brake controller and the total weight should be around 1600 lbs. Have any of you towed these trailers before and any insight as to what to look for would be appreciated. I don't have a lot of experience towing, but do have some. I will be going slower than normal speed as I'm sure I'll be a bit nervous. It's a 4 hour drive.
Also....should I use tow mode for this weight or does it not matter?

Thanks,
Mike
Sponsored

janitorjim

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT 2021 302 pkg, FX2, Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2019 XLT FX4 w/tow package. I know the truck has the ability to tow this without any issues. I will be bringing back only a Motorcycle on the trailer that weighs in ~500lbs.
I don't have a brake controller and the total weight should be around 1600 lbs. Have any of you towed these trailers before and any insight as to what to look for would be appreciated. I don't have a lot of experience towing, but do have some. I will be going slower than normal speed as I'm sure I'll be a bit nervous. It's a 4 hour drive.

Thanks,
Mike
I believe these trailers only have 4 pin connectors (for lights, no brakes) so no need for brake controller

TheDo114

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Always a good idea to use tow haul when towing, helps you when going doing grades by downshifting, and when accelerating, it holds the shift longer so you can get up to speed easier with a trailer.

You are not towing heavy so I do not think you need a trailer brake controller.

U-Haul trailers usually come with an inertia base trailer brake controller meaning the trailer senses when you are slowing down and engages the trailer brakes to help you with no driver intervention. I've also never seen a U-Haul trailer come with a 7pin connector, always a 4pin connector, even if you had a trailer brake controller, you couldn't use it since the trailer doesn't support the wiring for it.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician

Thanks,
Mike
You will be fine at that weight. The truck will tell that trailer just fine and breaking will not be a problem especially if you give yourself plenty of room for stop. I have already towed 5500 lb with a U-Haul Auto carrier with a 280ZX and the rough way to combine list it's 5500 lbs.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I towed a 5x8 trailer with a UTV about a month ago without issues. No trailer brake. I did use tow mode. General rule of thumb is try to get 60% of the weight in front of the wheels, from my very limited research on the subject. As long as it tows straight without any sway then you' should be fine.

OP
OP
Shelpdogg

Shelpdogg

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
IT Manager
Thanks everyone......I figured it would be OK......good to ask some folks that have more experience than me though.
Wish me luck tomorrow. I'll post up a pic of what I'm towing back this weekend. Cheers...

OP
OP
Shelpdogg

Shelpdogg

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
IT Manager
Made it there and back with no issues.....didn't even really feel it back there. Took me a lot longer to get home as I was going quite a bit slower, but no issues so I'm happy with the way it turned out.
A few pics of the bike on the way back.......enjoy.
IMG_1152.jpeg

IMG_1155.jpeg

At home without the bags....
IMG_1161.jpeg
Sponsored