First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Sure. I have a data point for you. Take it for what it’s worth but it’s a data point. New Ranger, always put 91, 50-1k miles I shoved it hard with WOT 0-60 times. Did it 4-5 times, averaged around 7-7.5 seconds. Got the FP tune, Roush CAI and FP exhaust installed at the same time somewhere around 500-1k miles and did some testing again with 0-60 times. Now I’ve hit 5.6-6.3 second 0-60 times. Hope this helps answer your question slightly. A CAI and exhaust alone wouldn’t come close to improving your 0-60 times by 20%.

Edit: Both pre and after tune, CAI and exhaust it was on S mode.
Sponsored

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
It sounds like you are trying to convince yourself sport mode is just as good as a tune. It’s not.
You're right it just changes the shift points.

If someone wants better pedal response and doesn't want to get a tune just get a pedal commander. It'll make D mode feel more like S but there's absolutely no increase in hp.

OP
OP
bentroia

bentroia

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Logistics
It sounds like you are trying to convince yourself sport mode is just as good as a tune. It’s not.
It is highly unlikely I would get any the tune, the Ranger Tremor OEM is great for me... Objective info on tunes is what I am after, simply because everything I see does not provide a controlled measure of real results. Some good info is building here!

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
It is highly unlikely I would get any the tune, the Ranger Tremor OEM is great for me... Objective info on tunes is what I am after, simply because everything I see does not provide a controlled measure of real results. Some good info is building here!
There are plenty of dyno results pre and post tune. Changing from D to S is not going to magically give you 45+ hp... But as others has mentioned, what D to S will do is change your shift points giving you a perceived tapped in power, just makes it so you won't hit your targeted MPG as advertised in S vs D with auto stop feature.

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
I never did any 0-60 or 1/4 mile times when my truck was totally stock, but here is my best run prior to tuning:

Pre-tune.jpg

Here is my best time after applying the 91 Performance tune from @5startuning:

Post-tune.jpg

I haven't done much more testing since my initial tests, but my best 0-60 time is 4.7 seconds.

Note: There were no performance mods applied between listed runs, other than the mentioned tune.

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 Lariat - Saber
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.

CJBax

First Name
Cruiser
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Software Development
Uh…No ..
Could ya'll elaborate on this a bit more? One says sport is slower than drive and the other says no, any sources or the like? I ask because I have a another vehicle (not ford) that has drive and sport modes and S behaves much like the ranger does on S mode, and this vehicle IS slower to 60 in S than in drive and not just by measurements, C&D also found the fastest 0-60 times were in D, not S.

All that to say that I can see S in our rangers being sporty feeling due to the shift strategy but not actually being the fastest way from 0 to 60. Perhaps I'll flash back to stock and take a few measuremen.... nope, not gonna happen, the truck sucks on stock tune and I don't care enough to go through the effort so on second thought disregard this post. Not sure why I am even still typing or hitting post?

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Could ya'll elaborate on this a bit more? One says sport is slower than drive and the other says no, any sources or the like? I ask because I have a another vehicle (not ford) that has drive and sport modes and S behaves much like the ranger does on S mode, and this vehicle IS slower to 60 in S than in drive and not just by measurements, C&D also found the fastest 0-60 times were in D, not S.

All that to say that I can see S in our rangers being sporty feeling due to the shift strategy but not actually being the fastest way from 0 to 60. Perhaps I'll flash back to stock and take a few measuremen.... nope, not gonna happen, the truck sucks on stock tune and I don't care enough to go through the effort so on second thought disregard this post. Not sure why I am even still typing or hitting post?
You ever see a cable program on Discovery channel called Street Outlaws?

Well Doc is like that group, so if he says No, you could probably rely on that more than getting free stuff from the"We're Here to Help" people ;):crackup:

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
You know what would be cool? If tuners could figure out a way to override sport mode and use that as a way to engage your tune on the fly.

What would be even cooler? If tuners could figure out a way to override both D and S so you can switch between two different tunes on the fly without having to reflash...

Dear Tuners, youre welcome, go make millions now.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
You know what would be cool? If tuners could figure out a way to override sport mode and use that as a way to engage your tune on the fly.

What would be even cooler? If tuners could figure out a way to override both D and S so you can switch between two different tunes on the fly without having to reflash...

Dear Tuners, youre welcome, go make millions now.

@Doc has his tune in S mode and IIRC D mode is stock.