First Name
Cruiser
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Software Development
You know what would be cool? If tuners could figure out a way to override sport mode and use that as a way to engage your tune on the fly.

What would be even cooler? If tuners could figure out a way to override both D and S so you can switch between two different tunes on the fly without having to reflash...

Dear Tuners, youre welcome, go make millions now.
If that could be done I would pay $2k for that ability! Seriously. To be able to have a tow tune while in D and a performance tune while in S... that would be fucking amazing!!!!

Regards,
Ya'll have an Airborne day!
Sponsored

CJBax

First Name
Cruiser
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Software Development
I did not know this was a thing.

@Doc uh? details?
+1 Details please.

From my research it sounded like S mode and Tow mode can only change shift strategies and not the actual spark/timing/boost/etc parameters proscribed in the calibration.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
+1 Details please.
This was the R+D truck for Unleashed
Unleashed did the driveability tune in Drive..(for instance he increased 10th gear to 70 mph from 60 in drive) most of the performance tune in sport…it was in their possession for a week…the rest you would have to ask Torrie…
Regards

Last edited:

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX, 2010 Mustang
Occupation
Goodyear
Ford's engine management does not lend itself to switch tunes on the fly. It's been this way for years and I doubt that it changes. There are certain parameters that can be changed via different drive modes, but the major parameters of the tune have to be flashed to change.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Want to see him run the Livernois and Unleashed tunes.
Not gonna knock people who get 5star, but it's the last tune I would get if I was concerned about overall longevity of the truck. Some tunes keep it in relative safe power draw but not tossing it into extreme ranges like 5star.

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 Lariat - Saber
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.
isnt that why people put on a tune?
they dont do it to drive like gramps to the bingo hall.
I did it for the trans tuning and SLIGHTLY more power on 87.

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 Lariat - Saber
Occupation
I'm fly. I'm pilot.
The guy I spoke to from BullyDog said they can't switch tunes on the fly anymore because the EPA said they couldn't. He said all the tuners that are left over from the 2000s-ish era of tuning are in in a form of "compliance" with the EPA.

theanswer3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
Vehicle Showcase
Not gonna knock people who get 5star, but it's the last tune I would get if I was concerned about overall longevity of the truck. Some tunes keep it in relative safe power draw but not tossing it into extreme ranges like 5star.
that being said 5star does at least offer an aftermarket powertrain warranty that covers the powertrain and any aftermarket parts. currently, i am using unleashed, but no one else can say they at least offer that option of protection.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
that being said 5star does at least offer an aftermarket powertrain warranty that covers the powertrain and any aftermarket parts. currently, i am using unleashed, but no one else can say they at least offer that option of protection.
Forgot about that, definitely pay to play. It’s a crazy tune for sure.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Is the 5 Star warranty like the Ford Performance warranty in that it starts at mile 0/day of delivery and not from when you install the tune?

I couldn't find this info on their site.

Edit: I downloaded the Terms and Conditions. It's like the FPP tune in that it's based off of build date or miles from 0.

2-YEAR/24,000 MILE WARRANTY – This variant of the Limited Warranty applies to Covered
Components up to a maximum of 24,000 miles on the Vehicle's odometer as read by Ford's Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) or 2 (two) years after after the Vehicle's build date (whichever comes first), regardless of the odometer reading at the time of registration or purchase of this Limited Warranty.
5-YEAR/60,000 MILE WARRANTY – This variant of the Limited Warranty applies to Covered
Components up to a maximum of 60,000 miles on the Vehicle's odometer as read by Ford's Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) or 5 (five) years after after the Vehicle's build date (whichever comes first), regardless of the odometer reading at the time of registration or purchase of this Limited Warranty.
6-YEAR/100,000 MILE WARRANTY – This variant of the Limited Warranty applies to Covered
Components up to a maximum of 100,000 miles on the Vehicle's odometer as read by Ford's Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) or 6 (six) years after the Vehicle's build date (whichever comes first), regardless of the odometer reading at the time of registration or purchase of this Limited Warranty

Last edited:

theanswer3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
Vehicle Showcase
Is the 5 Star warranty like the Ford Performance warranty in that it starts at mile 0/day of delivery and not from when you install the tune?

I couldn't find this info on their site.
From what I have read it is from the moment you buy the warranty and install the tune. So if you have 20000 miles you get 2 5 or 6 years from that point and mileage.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I did it for the trans tuning and SLIGHTLY more power on 87.
Similar here. The increased power was nice, but I primarily wanted it for the transmission cleanup and more responsive e-throttle. Not to mention tire size recalibration.

I was about to buy a pedal commander for $300 then realized for $150 more I could get a BDX tuner ($450 from 5Star with Ranger5G.com discount) and a whole lot more in the box.

I always ran 93, so the extra 70HP / 90TQ was just icing on the cake. +2 MPG was not expected either.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
From what I have read it is from the moment you buy the warranty and install the tune. So if you have 20000 miles you get 2 5 or 6 years from that point and mileage.
Nope, it starts from build date and 0 miles.

I downloaded the Terms and Conditions and found it.

I updated my original post to include the terms.

Thinking about it, this makes sense as lots of folks would wait until 59k miles and then buy the tune and warranty for another 60k miles of warranty.

Not that people would take advantage of something like that but they surely would.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
The guy I spoke to from BullyDog said they can't switch tunes on the fly anymore because the EPA said they couldn't. He said all the tuners that are left over from the 2000s-ish era of tuning are in in a form of "compliance" with the EPA.
It has also been mentioned that certain tuners will not tune with aftermarket downpipes any longer.

I'm not sure I get this, how is a smaller private company being handled like a major appliance or automotive producer by the EPA.

If I develop a way to tune my truck using a Rasberry Pi from my house are EPA ninjas gonna get me?

Like I get certain companies cannot sell things in California, but the rest of the country doesn't live by those nazi standards.
Sponsored