First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 (stock)
Occupation
Cardiovascular ICU RN
I just re-measured angles and got operating angles of 4.8, 2.8, and 0.9. If those are accurate, shimming the front motor mounts to tilt the trans back just one degree might effect both the front and middle angles enough to get everything within 1 degree. So the final measurements would be ~2.9, ~1.9, and the rear ~0.9 would remain unaffected by the tilt.

Maybe one day I’ll care/get bored enough to try it.

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Technician in water field
Man.... this is my first Ford and i'm kind of displeased with their service dept already, also didnt have the best exp w/ their sales depts in most dealers I went too. Only positive exp were the two dealers almost 50miles away hah.

In any case, i've called the two nearest dealers to me to address my shudder/vibration on take-off and the cold-start issue (issues are starting to pile on), and both told me to go to where I purchased the vehicle........ Is this something new lol?
Hey everyone, I'm new here. I have the shudder issue on takeoff on my 2021 Ranger XLT, only 1100 miles now. Would love to find the fix.Other than that issue I love the truck!

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone, I'm new here. I have the shudder issue on takeoff on my 2021 Ranger XLT, only 1100 miles now. Would love to find the fix.Other than that issue I love the truck!
Hi Chris,

My only recommendation is to have the Dealer perform the TSB measurement and install shims if it is determined the driveline is not in spec.

Folks have shimmed the center bearing on their own and some had success. This is a likely symptom of a two piece driveline.

Wish I could be of more help but it seems the problem is two fold, Start Up Shudder and a more continuous vibration which could be related to driveline and/or tire balance. The dealer has diagnostic ability via some NVH measurement tools that they can apply to the vehicle diagnostics. Let the dealer try to determine what is what...many folks have the TSB performed and it results in no help as they have another problem..

Just because you have a vibration does not mean this TSB applies which is the pitfall of many owners, particularly after suspension Mods.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Hi Chris,

My only recommendation is to have the Dealer perform the TSB measurement and install shims if it is determined the driveline is not in spec.

Folks have shimmed the center bearing on their own and some had success. This is a likely symptom of a two piece driveline.

Wish I could be of more help but it seems the problem is two fold, Start Up Shudder and a more continuous vibration which could be related to driveline and/or tire balance. The dealer has diagnostic ability via some NVH measurement tools that they can apply to the vehicle diagnostics. Let the dealer try to determine what is what...many folks have the TSB performed and it results in no help as they have another problem..

Just because you have a vibration does not mean this TSB applies which is the pitfall of many owners, particularly after suspension Mods.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks for the advice Phil!! I'm considering on just living with it and hope it gets better. I hate to be messing with it and make it worse. What are the odds this issue could lead to major problems down the line if it doesn't get corrected and what's the odds this is all normal behavior?? Thanks for any and all advice!!

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the advice Phil!! I'm considering on just living with it and hope it gets better. I hate to be messing with it and make it worse. What are the odds this issue could lead to major problems down the line if it doesn't get corrected and what's the odds this is all normal behavior?? Thanks for any and all advice!!
Hi Chris,

There is little impact if start up shudder...other driveline vibrations might impact durability but you have to realize a couple things. Start up shudder is a very brief vibration that goes away in about a second or two. A steady state vibration that is noticable might have impact on some components, but depends on the excitation source. Wheel/tire or driveline imbalance. Wheel/Tire...likely minimal...driveline...dealer should diagnose. Covered before in many posts of mine...we need to know the frequency of this vibration as well as duration. This will help determine the orders which means if the vibration is 3.73 times the wheel/tire...then it indicates driveline. If wheel/tire it might be in the 5 to 6 hz range...indication wheel tire. Ovality of the tire... poorly machined wheel or both...
Too complex to just shoot from the hip...

Welcome to my world at Ford...trying to diagnose the root cause of NVH, where the poor customer has a hard time communication his/her problem.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Hi Chris,

There is little impact if start up shudder...other driveline vibrations might impact durability but you have to realize a couple things. Start up shudder is a very brief vibration that goes away in about a second or two. A steady state vibration that is noticable might have impact on some components, but depends on the excitation source. Wheel/tire or driveline imbalance. Wheel/Tire...likely minimal...driveline...dealer should diagnose. Covered before in many posts of mine...we need to know the frequency of this vibration as well as duration. This will help determine the orders which means if the vibration is 3.73 times the wheel/tire...then it indicates driveline. If wheel/tire it might be in the 5 to 6 hz range...indication wheel tire. Ovality of the tire... poorly machined wheel or both...
Too complex to just shoot from the hip...

Welcome to my world at Ford...trying to diagnose the root cause of NVH, where the poor customer has a hard time communication his/her problem.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
The vibration occurs from stop position and lasts only a couple of second then at all highway speeds it's smooth as silk. I have all tires at 30-32 psi. The brief vibration feels like it's just behind the front seat. I've been reading a lot of posts on this subject in here and it baffles me on how so many people have the same issues going back to the 2019 model. I paid 40 grand for this vehicle and it seems like Ford would have an answer after 2-3 years of the same issue.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The vibration occurs from stop position and lasts only a couple of second then at all highway speeds it's smooth as silk. I have all tires at 30-32 psi. The brief vibration feels like it's just behind the front seat. I've been reading a lot of posts on this subject in here and it baffles me on how so many people have the same issues going back to the 2019 model. I paid 40 grand for this vehicle and it seems like Ford would have an answer after 2-3 years of the same issue.
Hi Chris,

This is why the TSB Exists.... some vehicle are sensitive to start up shudder while ones Like my Ranger are silky smooth... Have the dealer get the TSB done... It is very hard to get 100% of the vehicles without any problems....Tolerance stack ups can bite a vehicle. Let the dealer try to fix it. If you have a simple plate for the install on a vehicle that has a hole in it...this hole will vary in location to an extent... It is called tolerance as the hole is at a distance Plus or Minus a minuscule amount, but the hole is not in the perfect locaton...so look at the parts....there are several points where this tolerance stack can adversely affect the vehicle. Two piece drivelines are prone to this and it was a corporate decision the go this route... I do not necessarily agree, but a single piece driveshaft would be huge diameter if the program decided to go that way and I could not be steel as the length is far too long...

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Hi Chris,

This is why the TSB Exists.... some vehicle are sensitive to start up shudder while ones Like my Ranger are silky smooth... Have the dealer get the TSB done... It is very hard to get 100% of the vehicles without any problems....Tolerance stack ups can bite a vehicle. Let the dealer try to fix it. If you have a simple plate for the install on a vehicle that has a hole in it...this hole will vary in location to an extent... It is called tolerance as the hole is at a distance Plus or Minus a minuscule amount, but the hole is not in the perfect locaton...so look at the parts....there are several points where this tolerance stack can adversely affect the vehicle. Two piece drivelines are prone to this and it was a corporate decision the go this route... I do not necessarily agree, but a single piece driveshaft would be huge diameter if the program decided to go that way and I could not be steel as the length is far too long...
I actually go to the dealership tomorrow to get a bed cover put on. I will mention the TSB and I hope they know what I'm talking about and familiar with it after explaining. My luck they won't have a clue

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
I actually go to the dealership tomorrow to get a bed cover put on. I will mention the TSB and I hope they know what I'm talking about and familiar with it after explaining. My luck they won't have a clue
Grab the pdf of TSB-20-2277 at the beginning of this thread and print it out when you go to the dealer. I had to do that with mine. The TSB did not completely correct my shudder but it's much better, long story short.

20lariat4x4

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cardiovascular ICU RN
Update:

Found a solution that fixed everything! Smooth everywhere, angles in spec, and even got rid of those occasional clunky shifts. I’ll post a picture of what I did in a minute.

20lariat4x4

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cardiovascular ICU RN
Here’s what I did. I’d be willing to give detailed instructions to anyone who wants to do the same.

0EDC5B93-0851-4565-80BD-2020F275331F.jpeg

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
Here’s what I did. I’d be willing to give detailed instructions to anyone who wants to do the same.

0EDC5B93-0851-4565-80BD-2020F275331F.jpeg
I was just talking with my wife about the shudder with my Ranger and I see your remedy. The more I drive mine the more I think about moving on. Did you trade your Ranger on the Ram? I have been living with mine since September of last year.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Good luck with that thing. I’ll keep the Ranger.