First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, Supercrew, 4x4; 69 Firebird Conv
Occupation
Retired
Are most ppl seeing this issue after a lift/level kit? I found this by accident while doing some research on a leveling kit haha. Atm i have an xlt fx4 with stock height with no shudder. Id have to redo my gameplan if this shudder is happening only to ppl with lift/level kits.
I have the eibach front strut coilover lift - no shudder before and none after. I have the XLT 4X4 but not fx4.
Sponsored

Ogden Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Quality Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Are most ppl seeing this issue after a lift/level kit? I found this by accident while doing some research on a leveling kit haha. Atm i have an xlt fx4 with stock height with no shudder. Id have to redo my gameplan if this shudder is happening only to ppl with lift/level kits.
No, most are seeing this at stock ride height.

Dan

Ogden Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Quality Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting, i saw some say they noticed it from start, have others noticed after x amount of miles?
I think for some, the problem may exist from the start, but until you consistently drive at the conditions where the shudder appears, it may not be noticed initially. Also, the faster the acceleration, the more pronounced the shudder appears. Do those that accelererate very modestly made not notice the shuddering initially. As is most problems of this nature, once you feel it, you tend to become especially sensitized to it.

Dan

CompDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat Rapid Red
Occupation
PAID GEEK
Well got it back from the dealer it's a lot better not 100% or I am just feeling things..
Before I had a vibration 5-6 out of 10 takeoffs
Now maybe 2 out of 10 and ever so slight
Very happy with the results

Greg82

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Welding Instructor
I’m new to this site. Ihave common issues with my 2020 Ranger XLT 2 wheel drive. (Stock with 800 miles at present). I had the tsb done last week and it made my vibration worse. It shows up at various speeds, but it’s worse between 20 and 30 mph. It has a frequency that is audible when it’s acting up. I was told by service writer that my concern was still there afterwards but it was characteristic of the truck. I’m totally unhappy with that assessment, on a 30000 dollar truck! He informed me that he is awaiting word from Ford as to how to proceed. I had a 1985 Ranger 4x4 previously that I drove for 16 years with no issues at all. So new and improved has’nt impressed me at this point! Lol

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
I’m new to this site. Ihave common issues with my 2020 Ranger XLT 2 wheel drive. (Stock with 800 miles at present). I had the tsb done last week and it made my vibration worse. It shows up at various speeds, but it’s worse between 20 and 30 mph. It has a frequency that is audible when it’s acting up. I was told by service writer that my concern was still there afterwards but it was characteristic of the truck. I’m totally unhappy with that assessment, on a 30000 dollar truck! He informed me that he is awaiting word from Ford as to how to proceed. I had a 1985 Ranger 4x4 previously that I drove for 16 years with no issues at all. So new and improved has’nt impressed me at this point! Lol
Vibration at 20-30 MPH is not likely caused by the startup shudder that this TSB is intended to fix. I would guess your vibration is something different.

Greg82

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Welding Instructor
Vibration at 20-30 MPH is not likely caused by the startup shudder that this TSB is intended to fix. I would guess your vibration is something different.
You may be right. But since the shim made it worse, it seems to me that the drive shaft angle is most likely the cause. Any rate I just hope they figure it out. Should not have these issues with a brand new truck.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
You may be right. But since the shim made it worse, it seems to me that the drive shaft angle is most likely the cause. Any rate I just hope they figure it out. Should not have these issues with a brand new truck.
Hi Greg,

I think the shims confirm the as built truck was correct. The dealer tech need to map the vibration and determine the order range of the vibration to see if it is driveline induced or wheel/tire for example. Start up shudder is very brief during acceleration as when you accelerate the pinion nose climbs up and if too much climb then shudder may occur. You are describing a steady state vibration which is not transient like start up shudder for which two piece drivelines are prone.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

ChiefQM

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
You have the same issue I have. The dealer 'humored' me by putting shims in, which only changed the speeds at which the shudder is felt. Ford is unwilling to address the issue felt by us, apparently they are so few of us they feel they can blow us off. I believe that any fix will be at the expense of an owner with the money to fund a top mechanic to go through the drive line to find the fix. Ford is not interested in helping.

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
After having the TSB done back in November for the second time, a long story that is chronicled in this thread, I decided to try shimming the center bearing again. My shudder had remained after the TSB and even though it was much less it still bugs me.

I fabricated a set 1/8" shims and a set of 1/4" shims. I installed the 1/8" shims a took a test drive, the shudder was very subtle but still there. Picked up a set of M10 1.5 x 50mm 10.9 bolts and put the 1/4" shims in. The shudder is now sometimes there, sometimes not. Definitely headed in the right direction. I'm going to drive my normal commute for the next couple of days to see if I need to shim a little more. I tested the truck in a variety of speeds to make sure nothing adverse happened from the shimming, all good and smooth.

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I've been putting off doing anything about this issue for a while. I finally called my dealer where I bought the truck and scheduled an appt to have 2 issues looked at: startup shudder, and janky/jerky shifting when cold. The soonest they can get it in is at the end of March, about a month from now. The service writer I spoke with said he'd schedule with a tech who actually owns a '20 Ranger, so hopefully he'll be familiar with some of the more nuanced issues (like this TSB) with this truck.

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
After having the TSB done back in November for the second time, a long story that is chronicled in this thread, I decided to try shimming the center bearing again. My shudder had remained after the TSB and even though it was much less it still bugs me.

I fabricated a set 1/8" shims and a set of 1/4" shims. I installed the 1/8" shims a took a test drive, the shudder was very subtle but still there. Picked up a set of M10 1.5 x 50mm 10.9 bolts and put the 1/4" shims in. The shudder is now sometimes there, sometimes not. Definitely headed in the right direction. I'm going to drive my normal commute for the next couple of days to see if I need to shim a little more. I tested the truck in a variety of speeds to make sure nothing adverse happened from the shimming, all good and smooth.
Following up from my post yesterday. My drive into work, 35 miles of mixed highway and city driving, was markedly better. I can't believe how much a 1/4" set of shims has made to the truck. So much smoother at all speeds, especially slow and stop and go. The shudder is almost non-existent, when it does it is very slight. I hope this is the last I have to think about the shudder.

ChiefQM

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Following up from my post yesterday. My drive into work, 35 miles of mixed highway and city driving, was markedly better. I can't believe how much a 1/4" set of shims has made to the truck. So much smoother at all speeds, especially slow and stop and go. The shudder is almost non-existent, when it does it is very slight. I hope this is the last I have to think about the shudder.
So you have 3/8" of shims in there? You left the 1/8" shim in when you added the 1/4" shim, or took the 1/8" shim out?

CompDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat Rapid Red
Occupation
PAID GEEK
Do you know your pinon angle?
Sponsored