David Rice

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Hi all,
I have a 2019 Lariat w/all the toys. Very happy with it except the transmission. It seems to have gotten worse now that it's cold outside. After the truck has sat overnight and I drive it for the first time of the day. I start it, put it in reverse to back out of the garage, and it doesn't go into gear right away. There's a delay.....then wait for it...CLUNK!!!

If you are not holding the brakes tight, the clunk is pretty massive when it finally decides to go into gear. I suppose I need to check to see if it happens going forward or if it's just reverse. Anytime you drive it for the rest of the day is fine, it won't do it again until it's been well cold soaked.

Could the tranny fluid be low? Anybody else experiencing this?
I have the same issue,, when temps get real cold and its the first time I'm driving for the day, I get the same issue. Right now its at the Ford dealership shop. Yesterday they waited till afternoon to test drive it and it didn't do it. I told them it has to be cold out and the first time driving it. This morning temps are at 18 degrees, maybe it will do it for them.
Sponsored

David Rice

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I have the same issue,, when temps get real cold and its the first time I'm driving for the day, I get the same issue. Right now its at the Ford dealership shop. Yesterday they waited till afternoon to test drive it and it didn't do it. I told them it has to be cold out and the first time driving it. This morning temps are at 18 degrees, maybe it will do it for them.
Update: Ford dealer couldn't get the truck to hard shift, so as it stands, nothing was done to correct the issue

Sabasigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4; 2016 Corvette Stingray
i was running 5star 93 tune and loved the power...but the trans got to shifting harder & clunkier the more miles i put on it. Then when going from Park - Drive...bang!

I put it back to stock and got back to being much smoother.

Lukaranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT Sport
Update: Ford dealer couldn't get the truck to hard shift, so as it stands, nothing was done to correct the issue
I'm thinking about dropping my truck off at the dealer the night before (to let it sit overnight) then return in the morning at let them test drive while I am present.....if I'm not present I'm sure the dealer will mysteriously NOT hear/feel the issue! I just have to free enough time to do get it in.

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
this morning my truck shifted like garbage...for alot longer than it normally does. hanging onto a gear, slamming into the next multiple times, until it warmed up then it was shifting smooth
Ford tells me they did the TSB. Im skeptical. I almost think they read the TSB as: remove something from inside the gearbox and throw it out.

I'm sad for two reasons...I dont have that butter smooth gearbox some triumphantly and gleefully brag about, and I also hate to be the guy who starts a massive recall on garbage gearboxes.

Not that it'll change peoples opinion about me being the forum asshole...but adding that I started a massive recall won't get me any glowing reviews either.

FORD, you're gearbox is shit. One day I'll collect the parts it leaves on the street so you wont be able to say thats normal.
Nah, you'll never be crapped on for that. This is coming from a guy who had a PowerShift transmission. Now THAT was a piece of crap. The 10-speed could literally crap 4 gears out the back, make crunching noises and spit fluid in my face and I'd still take it over the PowerShift.

PS: forum asshole? No way, more like "best use of dry humor".

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
I have noticed that mine will often shift reallllly weird into 4th when it's first cold, but only sometimes, like it goes to shift, loses the gear and the finally grabs it. No other clunks or anything (unless I'm in 4LO and then it's expected).

OP
OP

Mach-1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Anyone have any luck with a dealer resolving the clunking shifts? I had a super harsh one this morning for who knows what reason, not even cold out today... And its more frequent when its cold

THREAD UPDATE: I took my Ranger to the Dealer for the taillight recall, and asked them to look at the transmission. They were able to verify my claim that it is clunking into reverse. They said they had done research and this is a known issue.

They told me that it is possible to fix the transmission that I have, but they'd have to tear it down so far to do it that it's cheaper and easier to just replace it.

So that's it, they are putting a whole new transmission in it. I'll be out of a truck for a week or so.

coblueberryranger

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
IT Consultant
Vehicle Showcase
THREAD UPDATE: I took my Ranger to the Dealer for the taillight recall, and asked them to look at the transmission. They were able to verify my claim that it is clunking into reverse. They said they had done research and this is a known issue.

They told me that it is possible to fix the transmission that I have, but they'd have to tear it down so far to do it that it's cheaper and easier to just replace it.

So that's it, they are putting a whole new transmission in it. I'll be out of a truck for a week or so.
Good to hear! I was just about to do the same thing here soon.
They are covering the entire new transmission right?

OP
OP

Mach-1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
THREAD UPDATE: After 11 days at the dealer, I have my truck back. (YAY!!) The repairs took longer than I wanted, but they are done now. They actually got the new transmission shipped in pretty quick, but I guess there's some special aluminum stretch bolts that hold the tranny on, and you can't re-use them. For some reason, Ford did not ship new stretch bolts, so we were stuck in limbo waiting. Seems to drive fine now. We'll see!!

gnx7

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger XL 2wd, '93 RX-7 turbo LS9, '69 Chevelle turbo ProTouring
My truck clunks into reverse every few days and also on the 1-2 shift. Doesn't sound good at all. My 2006 Toyota Tundra V6 with 186K miles drives better with an antiquated 5spd over this modern 10spd holy grail transmission. Definitely has more low end grunt over the Ford and gets about 1-2mpg worse. I have 3500 miles on the truck now. Also broke the rear seat release plastic clip that holds the pull cord after the first few uses. Bought the truck out of state new.... arrived on the transporter to me with no working headlights/DRL but the high bright lights worked! That took the dealership over 2 weeks to resolve and I got it back with Cheese Nip snack remains on the driver floor... I asked to have an inspection done on the truck (delivery inspection) while it was dropped off and they said they don't do that since they didn't sell the vehicle. Drove it around a high speed aggressive corner after the lights were fixed and the truck was all over the place scary unstable. At my shop I checked tire pressure and it ranged from 22-28psi. Good job FORD and quite the customer service from your stealerships! Built tough NOT ? My first new Ford ever.... maybe last one I purchase. Going in soon for transmission hiccups.

Last edited:

coblueberryranger

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
IT Consultant
Vehicle Showcase
My truck is currently at the dealer and they gave me an update. Sounds like the dealership that performed the initial TSB for the rough transmission shifts only did a partial job. Thankfully I was smart enough to take it to a different dealer this time and they actually have a transmission guy that isn't weeks out. We'll see if performing the new TSB completely does anything...or if they figure out anything else. Will report back

South Florida Ranger

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
I have the same issue. Once in a while it clunks when putting in drive. I wanted to check the fluid level and there is no dip stick that I can find. What gives?
Sponsored