Neil S

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't realize that the truck already has a 4 pin connector. So for now all I need is the hitch. My boat trailer is a 4 pin so I'm good!
Yep you are good to go for a 4 pin.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Neil S

Neil S

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX
Vehicle Showcase
FU5Z-14489-A was in stock at the dealer but wire harness KB3Z-15K86D8-D has been on back ordered. At least at the few dealers i have asked to order it for me. Been told to try back in June. So, after trying dealers ordered it through https://parts.ford.com/en.html recieved it to day.
recommend selecting a few different dealers to get the best price.

Want to get the new harness installed before adding a Curt hitch.
I had that same issue a year ago. Had the Parts Manager run a search and there was one that showed up. I called and was able to get sent to my Dealer. Harness is easier to instal without the hitch and spare in the way. Did you order the FU5Z 14489 A receptacl? Makes for a clean instal that protects the plugs.
66E7328E-2AFA-4E7D-9B67-25115B1AAFB7.jpeg

gov cheese

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger xlt super cab
Did you order the FU5Z 14489 A receptacl? Makes for a clean instal that protects the plugs.
Dealer had one FU5Z 14489 A in stock so bought. Took me another two weeks to get the wire harness. Curt hitch has been in the garage for over a month waiting on wiring.

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Information Technology
This is awesome! I was pretty pissed when I couldnt find my truck without a trailer tow package. I'm glad you guys sourced the part numbers. i'll be making my order sometime next week. Thank you. Subbed

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Information Technology
Are you buying an XL, XLT or Lariat? If you are getting an XL without tow package you will need to be prepared for the added steps to add a trailer brake controller if you are intending to do any serious towing down the line. Some of us learned that the hard way :p
I thought the xl without tow package, would be the same as xlt without tow package? Does XLT or L +tow package come with a facory trailer brake?

gbritt89

First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
I thought the xl without tow package, would be the same as xlt without tow package? Does XLT or L +tow package come with a facory trailer brake?

None of the XL's, XLT's, or Lariats come with a factory trailer brake controller. But the XLT's and the Lariats regardless of having the tow package do come with the wires easily accessible that will make installation of one MUCH easier when installing one yourself (or cheaper if paying someone else to do it for you)

It is my understanding from reading these forums at length and personal experience that at-least all of the 2019 XL's without tow package lack the 4 wires in the drivers footwell area for easy post purchase addition of a trailer brake controller.

XLT's and Lariats have them regardless of trailer tow package or not. I cannot speak for the 2020 model year trucks although I doubt there is any change.

The ford accessory trailer brake controller for the 2019&2020 ranger is part number VKB3Z-2C006-A
it uses..
-12v+ battery power (this adds an extra step for XL owners w/o tow pk 2)
-trailer brake output wire (this adds an extra step for XL owners w/o tow pk 2)
-ground at location within cab
-an external ECU that is routed to the CHMSL to intercept the brake signals (provided with kit)

Added steps for an XL owner to be able to use a trailer brake controller cliff notes edition.
-run a dedicated circuit direct from the battery (+terminal) to within the cab to power TBC
*I used this redarc 30-amp circuit breaker kit to provide power for my install*
-run a 10 gauge TBC output wire from your cab...
*For this I chose to have the dealership locate the wire on the main loom as close to cab as possible that will communicate to the trailer brake output pin on the 7 way plug. They had to cut the protective covering off the wiring running to the rear of the truck and tone out the TBC wire,
make a solder&crimp connection followed up with a weatherproof covering and run that wire to the drivers side footwell so that it may reach the complimentary blue wire on the TBC. (use your ford pass points if you can I was charged 2 hours at $120)

So all in all for XL owner without factory tow package you need.
-hitch (105-350$ depending on aftermarket or OEM)
-TBC mentioned above (not required but easiest/least inherent risk IMHO)
-the appropriate " -c" or "-d" harness and 7 way plug for bumper (roughly 150$)
-provide power to cab (kit is 50$, if you're handy DIY is like 12-15$ at any auto parts store)
-route 10 ga. wire to communicate with plug at rear (12$ per 8' of 10 ga wire or so and the appropriate tools to locate the correct wire)

Last edited:

Mustangman02232

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 ranger
So on my xlt I don’t have the tow package just the 4 wire plug at the rear, I haven’t looked for the wires but If I do have them
How do I add the 7 plug to the back with the control wires? Do I still need the harness?

gbritt89

First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
They are there. And the information to add tow package after purchase has been posted several times at length. This stuff gets answered once a week. Learn some about your truck as you read :)

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
So I bought the draw tite hitch from Amazon and the wiring and plug harness from Ford. My question....where do these little plugs plug in at? I saw a video on how to install the 4/7 pin wiring, but it didn’t mention these 4 little plugs. The truck on the video did not have backup sensors, so maybe has something to do with those?

671B8F51-6D2A-4E5B-99D2-BA65839E5172.jpeg

gov cheese

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I bought the draw tite hitch from Amazon and the wiring and plug harness from Ford. My question....where do these little plugs plug in at? I saw a video on how to install the 4/7 pin wiring, but it didn’t mention these 4 little plugs. The truck on the video did not have backup sensors, so maybe has something to do with those?

671B8F51-6D2A-4E5B-99D2-BA65839E5172.jpeg
2 white are license plate lights, the other 4 are for the backup sensors

Harleyfever

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Installed the OEM 7 Pin harness today, piece of cake. However getting the OEM 7 pin connector into the bumper seems near impossible; cannot for the life of me get it to snap into place. When I looked on the back part of the bumper it looked like it needed at least another 1/8th of an inch to engage. Now I have this ugly ass hole in the bumper. This has to be to simple to pay the stealership to put it in. Damn!

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Installed the OEM 7 Pin harness today, piece of cake. However getting the OEM 7 pin connector into the bumper seems near impossible; cannot for the life of me get it to snap into place. When I looked on the back part of the bumper it looked like it needed at least another 1/8th of an inch to engage. Now I have this ugly ass hole in the bumper. This has to be to simple to pay the stealership to put it in. Damn!
I was reading somewhere a while ago that you are supposed to cut the bumper to fit with some kind of hot knife or whatever.

gov cheese

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The hole is cut, the problem is that the clips won't engage.
Really there are a few different ways to accomplish this.
There is a little ridge of plastic around the inside of the hole. I trimmed that by sticking a screwdriver between the plastic and the medal behind it. utility knife should be parallel to the plastic. Still could not get clips to lock on about 1/16 short. So, from the under the truck push the sleeve in as far as i could then use a flat screwdriver to pry the clips out until they locked on the tabs.

Other people have bent the metal tabs toward the back of the truck until the clips would lock.

Here is another way to tackle it
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/trucks-w-o-tow-package.1712/post-87785

JHC14

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape Titanium
Occupation
Executive Pastor
it has already been posted the wiring harness: KB3Z-15K868-D . You also need the connector that fits in the bumper with the spring loaded covers to protect the 4 pin or 7 pin connector.FU5Z 14489 A .

The harness plugs into the back of the connector as well as replaces the harness for the lights and sensors. By plugging the 7 pin plug into the back of the connector, you have both the 7 pin round and 4 pin flat connectors.

D4FBBA69-13B4-46A1-9C58-0660177AC2D1.jpeg

A1534B96-A6B0-4584-97C2-28E2E9504C41.jpeg

36ACAA24-02BE-4C10-9E16-FD87E56E8355.jpeg
I was reading back through these posts to install the 7 pin on my 2019 Ranger. See you got your parts from Bates Ford. I worked there in sales for a year. My brother was GM then. Grew there in MJ back in 70-80’s.
Thanks for the photos...ordering my parts today and using these pics to make sure I get the right ones.
Sponsored