Help Installing Trailer Wiring Connector

68ranger

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 F100 Ranger, 19 STX FX4 Ranger
I am trying to install the OEM trailer wiring connector into the bumper. I can't get the metal clips to lock in. I must be doing something wrong.

I cut the hole out right on the slight indented outline of the opening.

IMG_1542.jpg

connector fits in there and seats nicely.

IMG_1545.jpg

The problem is the metal clips on the sides aren't even close to going in there and spreading out to lock it in place.

IMG_1543.jpg

When I push the connector in its at least 1/8 or 3/16 of an inch from a point where it could spread out and lock into the metal clips. See below. The only thing I see and you can see it on the following picture there is a lip on the opening. I cut right on the line from the exterior side which is inside that lip. wondering if I need to oversize the opening slightly to remove the lip which would allow the connector to push in a little more. Thought maybe you could remove the metal clips and install them from the inside but its too much resistance with hard to push them on.

IMG_1544.jpg
Sponsored

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
I am trying to install the OEM trailer wiring connector into the bumper. I can't get the metal clips to lock in. I must be doing something wrong.

I cut the hole out right on the slight indented outline of the opening.

IMG_1542.jpg

connector fits in there and seats nicely.

IMG_1545.jpg

The problem is the metal clips on the sides aren't even close to going in there and spreading out to lock it in place.

IMG_1543.jpg

When I push the connector in its at least 1/8 or 3/16 of an inch from a point where it could spread out and lock into the metal clips. See below. The only thing I see and you can see it on the following picture there is a lip on the opening. I cut right on the line from the exterior side which is inside that lip. wondering if I need to oversize the opening slightly to remove the lip which would allow the connector to push in a little more. Thought maybe you could remove the metal clips and install them from the inside but its too much resistance with hard to push them on.

IMG_1544.jpg
Here, posts 13, 14, 16, maybe more…..

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/trailer-wiring-and-connector.2903/

Jedadiah

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 XLT SuperCrew 4x2. Former '21 SuperCab Owner
I removed the clips from the connector, bent them a little to open them up with some pliers, put them back on the connector and pushed it in place. At first, I didn't open them up enough. Second try was right on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
68ranger

68ranger

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 F100 Ranger, 19 STX FX4 Ranger
I removed the clips from the connector, bent them a little to open them up with some pliers, put them back on the connector and pushed it in place. At first, I didn't open them up enough. Second try was right on.
thanks. I got it on there. did what you did but I put the clips on the from the back. I pulled them off, spread them a little and push them on from the back using the handle from a screw driver. Took a couple tries to get it right but its on nice and tight now.
Sponsored